TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 15 ~ What is the most complicated, brain challenging, game you currently play ?

I've gone retro and am playing Emperor.

Sierra Citybuilder situated in Ancient China.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor emperor city builder

• Like 8

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 15 ~ What is the most complicated, brain challenging, game you currently play ?

Probably Civ VI (computer), Star Hero (RPG), Frostgrave (miniatures). For CCGs, the only one I've been playing recently is M:tG, but that's a matter of available opponents. I prefer L5R and Seventh Sea, especially multi-player, but I don't currently have opponents and there isn't a computer version that I know about.

As to boardgames, I play so many that it's hard to say which is the most complex. I have been enjoying Clank in Space, but that's not especially complex. The combination of deck building and timing the exit correctly can be challenging, though.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Budgeting.  It's not a fun game.

My wife has suggested I shouldn't go to ReaperCon because of anticipated dental bills, house repairs, etc.  She may be right.  She usually is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Roleplaying is typically a good brain stimulizer. My group wrote our own system 20 or so years ago that we pretty much use exclusively. So whenever I want to do something different I have to come up with a new ruleset to do it. Which can occasionally be a real challenge. 

In terms of board games the most challenging right now is Arkham Horror 3rd edition. You don't start the game knowing how to win. You have to uncover clues in order to figure that out. There are multiple scenarios and each one has a different end goal, each just as hidden from players. We've played it 3 times now and have yet to win. If you like playing games at expert level right out of the box, enjoy cosmic horror, and have 4 to 6 hours to learn how to play then I highly recommend it. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Driving in a straight line without getting hit by other vehicles. It seems that lately every time I go out I am *nearly* hit by some idiot who misses a red light, stop sign, brake lights or other traffic signal.  I feel like I'm playing dodge ball with my car. 

• Sad 9

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

7 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

The “How to Buy all the Minis I Want with the Little Money I Have.” game.

I think the fact that I seem to be missing a significant amount of the $$$ tokens required to play is making the game a lot harder.

I'm playing the more advanced version of this. On top of the mini/hobby factor I'm also constantly trying to upgrade my equipment and keep all the vehicles running. This year my wish list is modest and I'm still having issues with balancing budget and wants and needs.

For actual games we've been playing Othello some and designing scenarios for Rangers of Shadowdeep. Neither are real deep games but make you think.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Well, there is work, especially today since people seem to have forgotten that rain means braking distances increase (I'm a delivery driver, so weather can cause a heavier drain on the brain sometimes)... 

As for games, there's Civ V or VI.... But there's also Elite:Dangerous.  I really want to dive back into it, even if I don't have surround gaming anymore (well, until I upgrade my side monitors).  And I'll be diving back in with a HOTAS setup, which will make life rather complicated until I develop the muscle memory for all the buttons.  Should be a lot less gate crashing when docking though..... 

• Like 8

I'm not really playing any games at the moment. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

CPA exam prep... :zombie:

• Like 10

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Not playing many board games at all. For computer games, I've been tackling an old favorite Medieval 2: Total War and playing as the Russians or Egyptians. Always challenging due to Mongol invasions in your backyard.

The most complicated and brain challenging thing currently? Avoiding all spoilers on Avengers Endgame because I won't get to see it until it's out on home media (can't physically take the lengthy sitting in a theater). Now THAT is hard. Had a close call at Chick-fil-A last week.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

"Let's build a company from the ground up".

The game is played with 2-20,000 players, and a lot of other people's money.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Classic Battletech, first played it as BattleDroids!

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Classic Battletech, first played it as BattleDroids!

I didn’t know it had a history under a different name. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, TGP said:

I didn’t know it had a history under a different name. 

The name didn't last long. The use of the term "Droid" turned out to be an unexpected sticking point.

Technically, my old (long since deceased) box set from 1986-7 was for Battletech "2nd edition". Battledroids was of the before time.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

How to Stay Awake and be a Functioning Adult with a Newborn. 

I woke up up this morning 15 minutes before my 1 week postpartum appointment. Had to move back one square. 

• Like 11