TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

On 5/15/2019 at 12:48 AM, TGP said:

Question for:

May 15 ~ What is the most complicated, brain challenging, game you currently play ?

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 16th ~ What is a game you played once and decided, “Nope, Never Again”?

I haven't played any games in a couple of decades...unless you count crossword puzzles.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I think I'll go with the Fallout board game, as well as Zombicide (Green Horde I think?) 

Why?  Simply because the rules are so complicated and very poorly written, the two of you spend an hour just trying to set it up and then go "y'know what, these rules make no sense at all" then put everything back into the box neatly, then back on the shelf said games go. 

Arguably this could also apply to a game I've owned for over two decades, Shogun (apparently now named Swords and Samurai, assuming it's even still in print), simply because while the rules aren't too hard, it's having the twenty four hours (or more) to play a full game that makes it more difficult to play to completion... 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

There are certainly games I've played several times before giving up. But a single time? I'm coming up blank.

I could argue about subscription PC games. I may try a free trial, but nothing more. And even then, it's not because I have something against the game itself, just the business model surrounding it. And I don't play much computer games these days anyway.

Even for RPGs, I only ever played D&D 4e once, and never again. But it's not because I hate the game (though there is no love either), but because it didn't feel like D&D, and back then I had many other games around available.

Now for board games. There have been a few I only played once and never more (the 80s had a lot of arcade or TV show inspired games). But that's because of very poor rules or mechanics that pale compared to others. Though my friends and I were quite open to creating house rules to add some levels of fun/complexity.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Nicht Die Bohne

Probably a good enough game, but it failed miserably for me.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Arguably this could also apply to a game I've owned for over two decades, Shogun (apparently now named Swords and Samurai, assuming it's even still in print), simply because while the rules aren't too hard, it's having the twenty four hours (or more) to play a full game that makes it more difficult to play to completion... 

I only played that one time, and immediately saw that it had the same flaw on the map as certain versions of Risk:  an easily defended narrow-front redoubt (on the Risk boards this is Australia with only one way in).  Thinking that everyone else playing was aware of it, I thought securing it would be a long shot.  It wasn't, so it turned into an easy win once consolidated.  This was some years ago so I don't remember the specifics.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

“Federation & Empire”

My friend and I spent an afternoon just setting it up, and quickly decided to put it on the “nope” list. Maybe I’d go back for a computerized version.

maybe.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I have a copy of Shogun that belongs to my best friend. He left a lot of his gaming stuff with me when he moved to Alberta. I like it but it always seems like we don't get enough soldiers. I also have the original Axis and Allies and Fortress America games that were in the same series. They are all longer playing games like you mentioned. We play in about 4-5 hours usually.

What game totally turned me off? Can't really say. I've got a good eye for things that I might like and haven't tried any I remember that were categorically never play again.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

The System That Shall Not Be Mentioned.... at least, I got past character creation. *twitch* *twitch* Nope...

More recently, and can actually be mentioned; PF2. Never actually got past character creation. May give 'em a chance - I understand many stupids have been straightened out - but very sour on the whole concept.

Not really many else. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Firefly boardgame. Just... Na... Wasn't fun.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

There's a whole ton of mobile games that fall into this.  Pretty much all of the "Empire Building Multiplayer" ones are basically player(s)/Clan(s) with too much time pick on all the newbies.  I've neither the time or the inclination.  

board/card games, I was a victim of the fallout board game.  I had a Star Trek The Next Generation Game of the Galaxies game as a kid that I remember being incredibly bored by (basically, each player takes a ship.  Roll a dice, move around the board dropping or picking up marbles. Player with the most when the board is full wins).  Like Go, only less fun.
RIFTS was like this for me. Wanted so badly to like it. The mechanics were just too ridiculously complex to have any fun with.

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

The System That Shall Not Be Mentioned.... at least, I got past character creation. *twitch* *twitch* Nope...

uhh.. . I've heard about that one if you mean the one I think. it makes me uncomfortable to think about....

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

RIFTS was like this for me. Wanted so badly to like it. The mechanics were just too ridiculously complex to have any fun with.

Yeah, the six hour character creation (after two weeks of going through various world and source books) really doesn't help it. 

So glad my GM was all "hmmm, rules... *reads them a bit then throws out most of the rules*  ah, much better" 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Front Mission Evolved. I adored the Front Mission series of games, which was a turn-based tactical RPG involving mechs. You could engage enemies, blow off parts of them so that they couldn't use their weapons; or better yet, eject the pilot and take him out so that you could capture the mech for yourself to use as parts or as a new vehicle. Unfortunately, the series has strayed far away from it now. Front Mission Evolved was a third-person shooter with a clunky interface and was a poor game in general. This year they released another game set in the universe called Left Alive, which is a stealth/action game where you make your way through a mech battlefield, but never use one yourself (only 18% approval on Steam reviews, basically it's an advertising platform for all of their other games). I weep for the franchise in general, Battletech is far truer to the original series than the garbage that Square Enix has been spewing out now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I can't really think of a game I decided to never play again after just one attempt. Closest I can think of is Total War: Warhammer. The Total War franchise is one of the only video games I've enjoyed. But the Warhammer games in that series just turned me off. Maybe it's because I've never gotten into the tabletop version of the game. I played through once as the dwarves and didn't have much fun. So I tried a couple of the other factions and just couldn't get into it. Haven't had any desire to play it since. I'm still playing most of the other Total War games years after their release though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Front Mission Evolved was a third-person shooter with a clunky interface and was a poor game in general. 

So... They copied the first Armored Core? O_o

That game series was so much better once the "modern" controls came out in AC III... 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

The Battlestar Galactica board game.

• Like 4