TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

17 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I haven't watched a TV series since 2004.  (it was Dead Like Me)

An excellent choice.

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

May 18 to 19 ~ Do you prep Miniatures in well in advance of painting them?   (Scrape mold lines, prime, shade...etc.)

If Yes, are you going to prep some this weekend for the Memorial Day Weekend Painting Binge (which is next weekend)?

I really enjoy assembling, scraping, etc. In quiet times, I do so while watching TV or the like. This does mean I have many prepped minis.

Recent times have not been quiet, so...

Not-quiet also means I'm unlikely to paint on any of the foreseeable weekends, likely until September. Blarrgh. Summer is rarely a good time for me to paint, because theater. So, ask me about the Labor Day Paint Binge?

(As of the end of last week, I'm only working on two shows at once instead of three, but that's still plenty busy)

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Sanael said:

So, ask me about the Labor Day Paint Binge?

We call that one "ReaperCon". :B):

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

May 18 to 19 ~ Do you prep Miniatures in well in advance of painting them?   (Scrape mold lines, prime, shade...etc.)

sometimes the day before I paint - if I prep it further in advance then I get distracted and paint other things. 

If Yes, are you going to prep some this weekend for the Memorial Day Weekend Painting Binge (which is next weekend)?

nope, but i am going to paint club today 

TV - nope  after I figured it out, I have watched some of the early seasons but have  rarely bothered with it lately. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Sanael said:

An excellent choice.

Yeah, too bad I cursed it by watching it too soon.  Every time I find a show I like that's under three seasons when I find it, it gets cancelled.  Past three seasons seems to be fine.  You'd think it was because I just had awful taste, but the curse has been so consistent and even taken down good shows that it's uncanny.  This is how I wound up getting blamed for Firefly, even though I only accidentally watched a few minutes of it while flipping channels and didn't even know what it was.  

This is why when I say I haven't watched "x popular show" and somebody says I don't know what I'm missing, I say they don't know what they would have missed if I'd watched it.  Because it wouldn't make it past two seasons.  Don't make me like things, you wouldn't like me when I like things.  

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

Usually not, I tend to prep when I intend on working on the piece to the finish.  To prevent the accumulation of a Shelf Of Shame, three years ago I gave myself the strict rule that once I start something I see it through to completion before starting something new.  This worked well enough to net me almost 300 completed figures before my house spontaneously combusted, but was a good enough method that I kept it.

The exception to the above is if something requires more than the usual prep.  This would be something like an item I've never worked on before that I need to turn over and examine a bit if it has fiddly assembly (or unknown assembly, in that it's a pile of bits with no instruction) or other unusual features that might require strategizing.  This is either something I want to get right the first time, or if I have a complicated idea that I need to feel my way through.  Because of the working method above, these "lurker minis" are very few in number so they don't accumulate and sit around forever.   Anything else, once started, is front and center until done.  Especially if I don't feel like working on it - sometimes that mini winds up a better result than something more exciting.   

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

Since most of my minis are primered, I think my answer would be yes.

Who knows for MDW. We may go out of town for that day but I work that morning & night so who knows.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I had to look it up and the answer is no, never seen a single episode. 

This is kind of surprising to me that so many people here never watched an episode. But to be fair, when TBBT debuted I had just finished a degree in physics so I was asked by practically everyone who knew that if I watched. I eventually started it when FOX and TBS began re-airing eps and got caught up. Again, watch it for the guest/recurring characters, not the main ones.

If there is ONE episode you ever watch, find the one where Sheldon meets James Earl Jones. Season 7 Episode 14.

22 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

This is how I wound up getting blamed for Firefly, even though I only accidentally watched a few minutes of it while flipping channels and didn't even know what it was.  

So you're the one responsible?? Finally, my vengeance has a target and shall be unleashed!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I also have a degree in Physics.  I do watch it and like it.  I am now half way thru the last episode.  I did watch young sheldon and liked what they did about tying it in to the last episode.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Yes, well. "We" might, but "I," unfortunately, cannot. 

But there's often some kind of forum wide binge session for those who couldn't go, so I may be able to make that happen.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Yeah, too bad I cursed it by watching it too soon.  Every time I find a show I like that's under three seasons when I find it, it gets cancelled.  Past three seasons seems to be fine.  You'd think it was because I just had awful taste, but the curse has been so consistent and even taken down good shows that it's uncanny.  This is how I wound up getting blamed for Firefly, even though I only accidentally watched a few minutes of it while flipping channels and didn't even know what it was.  

This is why when I say I haven't watched "x popular show" and somebody says I don't know what I'm missing, I say they don't know what they would have missed if I'd watched it.  Because it wouldn't make it past two seasons.  Don't make me like things, you wouldn't like me when I like things.  

I used to be like that with comics. If I liked a comic, pfft, it was cancelled. Dr. Strange? Cancelled. That was a bitter one. She-Hulk? Cancelled. Metal Hurlant, House of Secrets, Mister Miracle, Portia Prinz ...

It got so that when I picked up the first issue of Neil Gaiman’s “Sandman” the day it hit the newsstands, I recall thinking “This is pretty good. Too bad it”s going to be cancelled.”

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

...well played, Doug, well played. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

To an extent.  I generally to don't prime until I am ready to paint but I will remove mold lines, do general assembly, and gap fill in advance.

This weekend is family reunion weekend and I will be headed out of town.  As such I don't expect to get any painting done.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

It got so that when I picked up the first issue of Neil Gaiman’s “Sandman” the day it hit the newsstands, I recall thinking “This is pretty good. Too bad it”s going to be cancelled.”

I thought the same when I read Terry Pratchett's first book, "The Colour of Magic":

"What a good book! Such a pity that the author killed off the lead characters, so there will never be a sequel!"

• Haha 8

15 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

My one of my favorite parts is typically the scraping of mold lines and prepping, so I normally do it right before painting.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sanael said:

So, ask me about the Labor Day Paint Binge?

6 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Yeah, I used to host one for Labor Day, but the con schedule changed... 

Try again at Thanksgiving. This will be my 7th year.  :) 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

Sometimes, I like looking over mini's as soon as I get them and I often can't help but do a bit of work on them at that time. Maybe not prime, but I'll usually affix them to a base and get them cleaned up. But, most of my unpainted mini's sit primed and ready to be painted on my shelf.

I wasn't aware of the paint binge for memorial day, but probably not participating in it.

• Like 2