TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for

May 2nd: Have you ever tried (or heard of) pure A2 protein cow’s milk?

Answering my own question...

Yes and Yes. 

But I got to wondering if I have been roped in by hype and slick advertising. So I thought it might be something the hive mind could ponder for a Thursday. 

That's the milk from 'old breed' cows like Jerseys and Guernseys isn't it? It's really nice and creamy.

I do not know if either of these statements are true. But they might be. I am not saying you are wrong. 

It's a bit more expensive than normal milk,...

This is true. About $9 a gallon. Whereas the ordinary kind can be had for as little as  $3 a gallon. 

...we only buy it if we're making custard or want an especially delicious hot chocolate ::D:

I will take note of that idea. 

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

What is it?

According to the carton ($4.49 per half gallon) it is milk from cows that only produce milk containing a single milk protein (the short designation for it is the A2 protein). 

Ordinary, more common milk has two different proteins, designated (you guessed it) A1 and A2. 

16 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Sounds like cows that were the result of a mad scientist's work. I'll pass!

I am not sure where the science is on this. I read one article that tracks with what  @Kuroneko said. The article I read said that the cows that produce the two proteins are a recent mutation.  They are all descended from (a Holstein??) a dairy cow that lived around 1500.  Most dairy cattle trace back to that cow, most milk has both proteins, ...most milk is from mutant cows. [!!]

Carry on pondering...

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for

Never heard of it and if I have tried it, I was and am unaware.

TBH, it sounds like the latest snake oil cure-all.

7 minutes ago, TGP said:

...most milk is from mutant cows.

Most food of any sort that we eat today is from intentionally mutated (which is what "selective breeding" is) animals and plants. This does not confront me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have not had this magical milk. Mostly I drink Lactose-free milk, or no milk at all due to some mild intolerance to dairy. Milk seems to kick it off the hardest. I like to keep milk in the fridge for the making of certain things that milk works better for, and I've found that milk in paper cartons keeps far longer than that in the plastic or glass. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for

I have never heard of it. I rather like the original cow's milk. Lately I think of "new & improved" as "poorly thought out & screwed up".

• Like 9

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for

No and no

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for

Ummm no...  :wacko:  I barely drink milk anymore anyway, so "modified" milk is really not high on my list of things to try.  

• Like 7

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for

If I have to google it, then I'm pretty sure that my answer is no.

There's already way more kinds of milk and milk substitutes than necessary on the shelves, and I'm not even a big milk drinker.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Answering my own question...

Ordinary, more common milk has two different proteins, designated (you guessed it) A1 and A2. 

I am not sure where the science is on this. I read one article that tracks with what  @Kuroneko said. The article I read said that the cows that produce the two proteins are a recent mutation.  They are all descended from (a Holstein??) a dairy cow that lived around 1500.  Most dairy cattle trace back to that cow, most milk has both proteins, ...most milk is from mutant cows. [!!]

Carry on pondering...

So, thanks to the aforementioned tour driver, I knew A2 milk originated in New Zealand (where dairy is a massive industry). I had assumed that it came from some kind of purpose-engineered cows, but after a few minutes of Internet Research (tm), it looks like the actual crux of the invention was a genetic test which determines the protein types produced by pre-existing cows.

In any case, to the best of my knowledge, that single company has been slowly licensing their invention and marketing machine to bring yet another specialized milk to a grateful(?) world.

I won't comment on it's relative merits. My system tolerates regular old milk just fine, so I am not a connoisseur of alternate dairy products.

• Like 6

We generally just buy whole milk from Wallyworld & no never have heard about it. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for

Umm, nope...

• Like 7

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for

heard of, yes. tried no

• Like 5

16 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for

No, but I went and looked it up.  Sounds like spending extra money for no scientifically proven benefit. One bit of light reading for those of you that like it.

https://www.nature.com/articles/1602104

I guess the abstract is a good short read:

Spoiler

This review outlines a hypothesis that A1 one of the common variants of β-casein, a major protein in cows milk could facilitate the immunological processes that lead to type I diabetes (DM-I). It was subsequently suggested that A1 β-casein may also be a risk factor for coronary heart disease (CHD), based on between-country correlations of CHD mortality with estimated national consumption of A1 β-casein in a selected number of developed countries. A company, A2 Corporation was set up in New Zealand in the late 1990s to test cows and market milk in several countries with only the A2 variant of β-casein, which appeared not to have the disadvantages of A1 β-casein.

The second part of this review is a critique of the A1/A2 hypothesis. For both DM-I and CHD, the between-country correlation method is shown to be unreliable and negated by recalculation with more countries and by prospective studies in individuals. The animal experiments with diabetes-prone rodents that supported the hypothesis about diabetes were not confirmed by larger, better standardised multicentre experiments. The single animal experiment supporting an A1 β-casein and CHD link was small, short, in an unsuitable animal model and had other design weaknesses.

The A1/A2 milk hypothesis was ingenious. If the scientific evidence had worked out it would have required huge adjustments in the world's dairy industries. This review concludes, however, that there is no convincing or even probable evidence that the A1 β-casein of cow milk has any adverse effect in humans.

This review has been independent of examination of evidence related to A1 and A2 milk by the Australian and New Zealand food standard and food safety authorities, which have not published the evidence they have examined and the analysis of it. They stated in 2003 that no relationship has been established between A1 or A2 milk and diabetes, CHD or other diseases.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Bother, I should have posted a question by now. 

• Haha 6

Just now, TGP said:

Bother, I should have posted a question by now. 

Yes, you should have. Slacker :lol:

• Haha 7