TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 23rd ~ Do you use online (or computer based) random generator 

scripts, programs, or apps to help build your RPG campaigns?  If you do, which ones?

I don't usually use it for my characters, but for npcs and locations I like fantasynamegenerators dot com. They have generators based on all sorts of cultures and languages. So if you want your hobbit towns to sound very British without using actual British town names, you can do that. Or Norse, or Egyptian, or w/e. 

I love it. It's really helped fill out hubby's game world.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

scripts, programs, or apps to help build your RPG campaigns?  If you do, which ones?

Name generators. Various ones. I hit google then go from there to find them so I doubt I use the same one twice.

Other random tables tend to be based on paper. I use treasure tables for inspiration, random tables for some character traits, and I make my own tables for character reincarnation. Because the table in the main book isn't detailed enough to be really funny. And because I tailor them for region/campaign/biome.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I don't play those.

But I sometimes visit sites to see what silly werewolf/vampire/insert game character name I could get.

When I play a PC RPG I always come up with a name myself.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I sometimes use random generators, more so when I had steady games. A long time ago, Weatherscribe was probably the best program out there to generate weather. And I'm not kidding here, but I went through every D&D 3e and 3.5 book and  Dragon and Dungeon magazine and wrote down every individual entry for races, spells, feats, etc., so that I can randomly generate them when necessary.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

No.

• Like 3

The one I helped design for the Western RPG I GM at Origins.  Hit roll it up and it will generate all but skills and Quirks and flaws.  You can generate Q&Fs with another press of aa button.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Nope...it's been more than twenty years since last I played a RPG.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Not generally.

I have used random name generators, but that's about it.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I occasionally look up name generators when I'm a player and don't know enough about the setting to pick a good name for my character.. other than that I use Chummer any time I'm playing shadowrun 5, and pcgen any time I'm doing pathfinder or 3.5

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

For my Exalted 3E campaign, I used Exalted name generators online.  Since this was online, it was done over Roll 20.

For my last Pathfinder campaign, I used Hero Lab (on my laptop) extensively.  I used name lists online for that campaign but did not use name generators.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I have occasionally used random floor plan generators... and then so heavily modified them that I might as well have saved myself some time and done the whole thing from scratch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I've played around with some random dungeon generators and some random NPC generators just because I find it interesting. I don't use such when I'm designing my own though. I really enjoy designing and hand drawing maps. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I have in the past used some random generators to design city stats (i.e. In this size of a city, expect this many merchants, this many of each class/race, etc.) and NPCs when I was in full world building mode. But that was something like over 15 years ago so I don't remember what sources I used.

Of course there are plenty of random name generators around that I browsed. Originally it was Seventh Sanctum that had the most. And there was the occasional Dragon Magazine article.

I think I still have the thick three ring binder in which I put all of my world building material.

Last time I DMed Pathfinder, my group used HeroLabs. Since we used a published Adventure Path, the fan community added the material to HeroLabs, so I could easily track the stats for most encounters.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I sometimes use random generators, more so when I had steady games. A long time ago, Weatherscribe was probably the best program out there to generate weather. And I'm not kidding here, but I went through every D&D 3e and 3.5 book and  Dragon and Dungeon magazine and wrote down every individual entry for races, spells, feats, etc., so that I can randomly generate them when necessary.

Way back in the days of 1st and 2e AD&D, the Wilderness Survival Guide had an amazing section for weather generation, with seasonal and climate/environment variations (arctic mountain august =/= tropical jungle august). It would probably be simple to adapt online if it already hasn't been done.

Wilderness_Survival_Guide.png

• Like 4

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

*I notice no one else has thus far put in any links to generators, so I will refrain. If it turns out to be ok, I'll come back and edit them back in.

I do, generally for names of towns/npcs/buildings. I find some generators are a bit too redundant, but when you use multiple generators, you can combine to get a better name. Or shift a few letters around.

Some of my favorites are from a site called donjon. Lots of different generators there.

Red Dragon Inn has a pretty cool town generator that, if you're a stickler for details on what a shops/resources a village/town/city might have available to it, will generate those details for you (# of town guards, citizens, demographics, # of bakers/blacksmiths/magic shops/healers/etc. Incredibly useful if you want to deny/allow access to certain services for your players.

One of my favorite generators is actually for people who struggle to come up with a character personality/background, or for DMs who need an npc personality on the fly. The name is definitely not forum friendly, but in an edited manner it's called "Who the <Bleep> is my DND character?" (the bleep is a word that rhymes with Luck). Has given me several gems/ideas over the past couple years since I found it. The website (and URL address) does contain swear words, so if you are offended or if work frowns on that, be wary.

Edited by ManvsMini
Added links, hopefully Mod approved.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1