TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

25 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

*I notice no one else has thus far put in any links to generators, so I will refrain. If it turns out to be ok, I'll come back and edit them back in.

I'm willing to go first:

If it helps, the Feng Shui name generator is endless fun, if you want names tailored for the Hong Kong action cinema of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. (It's less exciting if you want European fantasy, or fully authentic Chinese names.)

@TGP's question specified online, so I skipped over other random options for weather generation, random dungeons, etc. Back in my (mis?)spent youth, I did spend a little time playing around with the random dungeon tables in the first edition AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide. Boy did that skew towards some wacky, tunnel-heavy messes.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

*I notice no one else has thus far put in any links to generators, so I will refrain. If it turns out to be ok, I'll come back and edit them back in.

I was kind of hoping people would do that! 

...while taking care not to break the Forum rule about commerce links (obvsly).

• Like 5

I have a general city layout, but I don't actually go into detail about mapping it during my RPG. If we need more context in the moment, I provide it. 

For dungeons, I either use a random generator until I like a setup, or I go on Pinterest or other sites to yank a map. Then I number the rooms and doors and write up a word doc of stuff. In theory I'd like map making, but I lack the time to put effort in, and I think story is more important. It gets really funny when I make up a dungeon layout semi on-the-fly (I have a loose layout, and numbered rooms for my own reference), and our party scout has been taking detailed notes. His maps about the campaign are often better than mine!! So I come up with BS (little does he know) and he records it to show off. Hah.

NPCs that are just for talking I have a Wiki page for on my Obsidian Portal account which I use to loosely track the campaign. I also make combat-NPCs from scratch. Currently working on a ranger/dervish to hand to my group as a temporary party member. Also working on an evil bard (with a whip and a fiddle), a cler/wiz/mystic theurge necromancer, a dread necromancer, and an assassin template... cuz those are around. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Way back in the days of 1st and 2e AD&D, the Wilderness Survival Guide had an amazing section for weather generation, with seasonal and climate/environment variations (arctic mountain august =/= tropical jungle august). It would probably be simple to adapt online if it already hasn't been done.

Wilderness_Survival_Guide.png

The Wilderness Survival Guide was definitely a good one, but Weatherscribe was superior. It kept track of weather patterns in all parts of the map that you uploaded into it, as well as generating weather that didn't vary wildly, it kept track of previous weather to generate the next day's. Also, it showed what part of the day the weather would change. Unfortunately, it was a fanmade program from back in the Wild West of the internet, and it has since disappeared. I remember it having a 30 day free trial, but also people developed a crack for it.

• Like 5

Favorite Fantasy Feature: Probably Unseen University from the Discworld series. The tower of art, library space, and especially the rubbish heap out back that causes all manner of strangeness. 

RPG Generators: If we're doing an extensive dungeon crawl I'll sometimes just use a dungeon map generator from whatever turns up first in a Google search. I've also been batting around the idea of subscribing to a world mapper. Not necessarily one that makes the world for you. But one that allows you to make your own world. But I haven't really found one I like yet. Then, in terms of random generation I have my trusty weather, treasure value, direction, dungeon segment, and trap dice I got years ago from Chessex. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I was kind of hoping people would do that! 

...while taking care not to break the Forum rule about commerce links (obvsly).

I went back and edited my post to put links in to some. Hopefully they are moderator approved, I didn't see any commercial or sales pitches on them (some "support us/donations" though). I did, however, leave the link out for the last generator about character background until I get some moderator info on whether posting a link that contains swear words in it is forum-safe.

EDIT: the mod hath spoken, best not to direct link to that character background generator. Use the google search to find it. Or PM and I'll send you the link if you have problems finding it.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 23rd ~ Do you use online (or computer based) random generator 

scripts, programs, or apps to help build your RPG campaigns?  If you do, which ones?

Not really. I haven't run much in the way of games in a long time though.

However, one computer based tool I have tried using in the past is Fractal Mapper. That was over a decade ago though, I'm not sure what state it is in now or if it is still supported. It was pretty decent at the time though. It (unsurprisingly) used fractals to generate random shapes for land masses. You could then fill them in with mountains and forests and such.

• Like 5

I use one regularly called Meatshields, which creates random hirelings for old school D&D. 

It gives you results that look like this: 

Name Type Race HP Sex Weapon Armor Alignment Background Possessions & Knowledge Notable Features
Corsus Man-at-Arms Human 6 M Club, Dagger Chainmail & Shield Neutral Exile from Homeland Nothing None
Kask Torch-Bearer Human 3 M Dagger None Neutral Alchemist's Apprentice Broadsword with unknown script None
Worgar Man-at-Arms Human 4 M Longsword, Dagger Leather Neutral Oath of Silence Nothing Smells like puke
Fitzwalter Man-at-Arms Human 4 M Light Crossbow, Dagger Leather Neutral Escaped convict Small frog in a box Constantly mutters under breath
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Question for:

May 24th ~  How many ink-stained shirts, paint spattered Tees, or other pieces of garb have you consigned to be your dedicated painting clothes?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 24th ~  How many ink-stained shirts, paint spattered Tees, or other pieces of garb have you consigned to be your dedicated painting clothes?

You need clothes for painting? :rock:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Too many to count lifetime. Even worse are my work clothes. My style of farming is not clean.

3 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I do because the mother in law is in the next room. 

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I suppose coruscating blobs of colours might not...

I have two ink-stained shirts and one set of trousers which misfortunately sat against some paint. So final answer. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

A few; I try not to paint in my 'good clothes', with middling degrees of success.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Nothing.

I can paint minis without getting paint on my cloths.

My hands / fingers will get a little paint every now and then, but I also wash my hands several times during a painting/hobby session.

• Like 5