TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

May 25th & 26th ~ Do you celebrate any #HashtagHolidays? What is your favorite wine and cheese pairing? What is your favorite cheese if no wine is involved?

Not really into the hashtag holidays, they're so prevalent that they lose any meaning.

As for cheese, I don't have a particular favourite, but I do enjoy trying new ones whenever I can. Applewood smoked cheddar and smoked provolone are good for snacking on, but everyone should try sage derby or fiddler's green(sage derby, red leicester, and cheddar, or a delicious huntsman (Alternating layers of double gloucester and stilton). Try a great Five Counties cheese (layers of Cheddar, Cheshire, Derby(sometimes sage derby), Double Gloucester and Red Leicester), or an amazing Red Dragon truckle (made with Welsh brown ale and wholegrain mustard seeds, it has a bit of bite to it). Another one that I cannot recommend enough is Highland Chief cheddar cheese, made with scotch. When you cut open the wax you get a strong puff of the scent of single malt whisky, but I've never had a smoother cheddar than this one. Unfortunately, it's normally available only around the Christmas season, but the cheese store that I go to has changed hands a couple times and now has far less selection than before. Below are pictures of cheesy cheese:

Spoiler

Sage derby

image.thumb.png.433ec3a0ab79008c640a27462b1593c8.png

Fiddler's Green

image.thumb.png.951d504ab43aed10e6e1a58e1bddd7a3.png

Huntsman Cheese

image.png.70c8778ee9c3d6f293cc46073fbc1b5b.png

Five Counties cheese

image.thumb.png.333af7934f64c9f1a4f9a685e4a21e3b.png

Red Dragon

image.png.5a64a0271be23d36a092a7c2a807c415.png

Highland Chief

image.thumb.png.13b6ed2b9910244a9d84f8c2d8a95533.png

image.png.ceea8ff29093ab2ac59ae29dfa8a11c2.png

I like cheese.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Maybe Pi Day, if it is a #HH.  The one I hate is Star Wars Day.  To take a somber day of reflection and make it a celebration of a b movie franchise is criminal.  (I know I am being kind, but if I said D- movie I would get this thrown to the bees.)

Not much of a wine drinker but Baby Swiss is my cheese.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

May 25th & 26th ~ Do you celebrate any #HashtagHolidays? What is your favorite wine and cheese pairing? What is your favorite cheese if no wine is involved?

I don't hashtag.

For snacking I like Muenster, for burgers, Cheddar

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

I have no idea what a #HashtagHoliday is; SO I guess I don't.

I gave up all alcoholic beverages a long time ago, but I do love cheddar cheese.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

Some of them, if they amuse me. For example today is Towel Day. I also happily celebrate May the 4th, Captain Picard Day, Pi Day, First Contact Day, Read an RPG Book in Public Week, etc. 

I don't drink a whole lot of wine, but I love cheese. My favorite varies. There's a couple of cheddars that are amazing. I do enjoy a really creamy brie on a warm baguette, pub cheese on crackers, smoked gouda... basically I like cheese... Which reminds me, I need to get cheese at the grocery store today! 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

I had no idea what a hashtag (side rant---who came up with that dumb-arse term, anyway?) holiday was, so thank you for clarifying that.

In order:

No

I don't drink much wine, and would have no idea what the 'proper' pairings are, so I don't have one.

I like cheese.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I had no idea what a hashtag (side rant---who came up with that dumb-arse term, anyway?) holiday was, so thank you for clarifying that.

In order:

No

I don't drink much wine, and would have no idea what the 'proper' pairings are, so I don't have one.

I like cheese.

According to Wikipedia it was Chris Messina as a way to make it easy to search for related items on twitter. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashtag

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

1) Never heard of the term until now, so no. Is that like saying it's international donut day, or teacher appreciation day but putting a # in front of it? Cuz I'll celebrate anything involving donuts.

2) Don't drink wine. It's grape juice that burns. And the smell of the ethanol reminds me of a chemical lab.

3) Since American cheese was excluded (which is cheese injustice, btw) I'll say Gouda. It's quite good-uh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

• #hashtag Holidays - Nope, Too many meaningless stuff, I don't give a #^@%
  • I like Merlot ( Red Wine) I like aged cheese and Blue cheese. A Roquefort or Danish Blue or an Old Amsterdam
  • Without wine, basically the same although I also like aged Frisian cheese with Cloves, will eat it with or without a wine.

image.png.bd47883a80d8453f2e6ae21ab59f12f4.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5

Oh, is that what a hashtag holiday is? I suppose we celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day. One year we went to the kids’ dentist on that day and they belted out the anthem in the waiting room.

I don’t drink wine, sorry. I do like a good Tomme des Pyrenees.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

#HashtagNope

I don't have any particular preference in wine/cheese pairing as I have never been in charge of it, so it's always "Mystery Brand X" wine with "Yellow-whitish Cheese".

My favorite cheese is normally  Venezuelan Beaver Cheese 2+ years old aged cheddar. Though I do like to treat myself with briny string cheese.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

I don't celebrate those. But if somebody else brings in pie, or donuts, or cinnamon buns, or whatever, I'll eat them. Which is a sort of meta-celebration, I suppose. :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge fan of the combination of wine and cheese. Apple pie and cheddar cheese, now ....

Favorite cheese will depend on use: Mozzarella for pizza, Cheese Wiz for pepper steaks, American for open-face grilled cheese, Swiss in a ham and cheese sandwich, Pepper Jack, sharp Cheddar, smoked Gouda, Havarti, ... (nearly anything, really) for just eating.

• Like 4

On 5/23/2019 at 11:57 PM, TGP said:

Question for:

May 24th ~  How many ink-stained shirts, paint spattered Tees, or other pieces of garb have you consigned to be your dedicated painting clothes?

0.  I don't spill paint on myself so it has been a non-issue.

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

No.  I occasionally drink wine, and sometimes eat cheese, but almost never together.  It depends on what I'm making with it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

No, but I did try to raise support for National no bras day. I figured all those poor constrained things could use a day of freedom. None of the women I know were in to the idea. :down: 

Don't drink much wine. When the wife moved here she wanted to find a nice wine. I told her  could give her a lot of info about various beers, whiskey and a few other things but not wine. The main wine I drank (rarely) when younger was Royal Red and that was because it cost a few dollars a gallon. Had one friend that liked it for cheap drinking. :zombie:

6 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Not really into the hashtag holidays, they're so prevalent that they lose any meaning.

As for cheese, I don't have a particular favourite, but I do enjoy trying new ones whenever I can. Applewood smoked cheddar and smoked provolone are good for snacking on, but everyone should try sage derby or fiddler's green(sage derby, red leicester, and cheddar, or a delicious huntsman (Alternating layers of double gloucester and stilton). Try a great Five Counties cheese (layers of Cheddar, Cheshire, Derby(sometimes sage derby), Double Gloucester and Red Leicester), or an amazing Red Dragon truckle (made with Welsh brown ale and wholegrain mustard seeds, it has a bit of bite to it). Another one that I cannot recommend enough is Highland Chief cheddar cheese, made with scotch. When you cut open the wax you get a strong puff of the scent of single malt whisky, but I've never had a smoother cheddar than this one. Unfortunately, it's normally available only around the Christmas season, but the cheese store that I go to has changed hands a couple times and now has far less selection than before. Below are pictures of cheesy cheese:

Hide contents

Sage derby

image.thumb.png.433ec3a0ab79008c640a27462b1593c8.png

Fiddler's Green

image.thumb.png.951d504ab43aed10e6e1a58e1bddd7a3.png

Huntsman Cheese

image.png.70c8778ee9c3d6f293cc46073fbc1b5b.png

Five Counties cheese

image.thumb.png.333af7934f64c9f1a4f9a685e4a21e3b.png

Red Dragon

image.png.5a64a0271be23d36a092a7c2a807c415.png

Highland Chief

image.thumb.png.13b6ed2b9910244a9d84f8c2d8a95533.png

image.png.ceea8ff29093ab2ac59ae29dfa8a11c2.png

I like cheese.

And where can I find that selection? Some of those look interesting. For me I tend to use a lot of plain cheddar and parmesan with mozzarella thrown in as well on baked things like pizza or lasagna. Mostly because they are what's available everywhere. The handful of times a year I actually drink wine I don't usually have any cheese with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Zink said:

And where can I find that selection? Some of those look interesting. For me I tend to use a lot of plain cheddar and parmesan with mozzarella thrown in as well on baked things like pizza or lasagna. Mostly because they are what's available everywhere. The handful of times a year I actually drink wine I don't usually have any cheese with it.

It's the Sask. Cheese Factory at 2530 Quance St. in Regina, in the strip mall by the liquour store. Also, how can you live in Saskatchewan and not be subjected to Baby Duck? ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1