TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

I was almost ready to attempt impersonating an inquisitor and post a question on my own.

• Like 4

And here I thought I would get to do some more merge testing...

ww2-plane-identification1.jpg

In the spirit of never wasting a good question. Friday’s question will be last month’s almost, but didn’t happen, substitute question. The big image above is inspiration, hinting, mood setting. The Friday question will not be a weekend question. There will be a Saturday/Sunday question. 

24 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I was almost ready to attempt impersonating an inquisitor and post a question on my own.

I get to merge test after all. 

OK, that was four minutes. Now I just have to wait long enough so the question doesn’t get merged. (By the way, answers are not limited to the image above...)

Edited by TGP
I experienced a merge after 4 minutes; but 8 minutes elapsed between the question and the last edit of the long post.
  • Like 6

Question for:

May 3rd: What is your favorite aircraft design from WW2 ?

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Without a doubt, the Supermarine Spitfire. I've been lucky enough to see one do a flyby and it was glorious ^_^

image.thumb.png.44d5744c0acc5a66212102fae2605b38.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I'm not sure I have one.  So I'll tell a story instead. 

The de Havilland Mosquito was built as a fast bomber for the Royal Air Force.  It was one of the fastest aircraft in the world in 1941.  And its frame was built almost entirely out of wood laminate.

One of the great things about wood, compared to metal, is that it's light.  One of the bad things about wood is it rots.

There are only four airworthy examples of this aircraft remaining in the world.  All of these have had significant restoration work done.  Much of the restoration work is based on work by one man, Glyn Powell, who had to reverse engineer many of the construction techniques so he could restore one he had bought.  Apparently de Havilland Aircraft Company Limited either didn't keep good records or they were lost after they were acquired.  The first Mosquito that finished restoration work was owned by the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, VA.

Some day, I'd like to see an Me262 in flight, so I can get an idea of what a WW2-era jet aircraft is like.

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Got to go with my name, the F4U Corsair. But, to be honest I think the Spitfire is the most elegant warplane ever.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

IMG_2305.JPG.319b264967987d3f9be3c284693275f1.JPG

• Haha 19

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

The de Havilland Mosquito:

De_Havilland_DH-98_Mosquito_ExCC.jpg

PLYWOOD POWER!

• Like 12

The Mosquito is a beauty.  I just recently found out that the designer was actually the cousin of Olivia de Havilland, so the family’s talents were wide-ranging.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I can't say I have one, as it's not really something I've ever been into.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I love the innovative design of the P-38 Lightning, but my all-time favorite has to be the Curtiss P-40 because  reading The Flying Tigers was what ignited my love of all things WW2.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I’ve always been partial to the P-38 Lightning.  I had the good fortune to see 3 at once in an airshow, but that’s been more than 40 years ago now.  My father is an aviation fan, so we went to airshows featuring the WWII planes any time we could.  He still does, living near Willow Run in Michigan, where they hold one each summer, but I haven’t made it up that week in several years.

I like some of the unlikely planes.  Back in the late ‘90’s we tracked down an airshow in Ontario featuring a flying Swordfish biplane torpedo bomber...

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

IMG_20190503_082829.thumb.jpg.02b94ad351a7dcb6d90b7e0e73796c33.jpg

I'm rather partial to this one. IMG_20190503_082845__01.thumb.jpg.b6a8fd26df7134d7b6d7f18851ae339e.jpg

Pics taken this morning.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

There are many, many old Warbirds that I absolutely love. Picking one is difficult. But, if I have to narrow it down to one I will go with the P-51D Mustang. The Supermarine Spitfire is a very, very close second. The sound of a Rolls-Royce Merlin V12 is one of the most beautiful things in this world, and no amount of video can do justice to just how amazing it sounds irl. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Without a doubt, the Supermarine Spitfire. I've been lucky enough to see one do a flyby and it was glorious ^_^

image.thumb.png.44d5744c0acc5a66212102fae2605b38.png

Thank you Kuroneko, It has to be Spitfire, an any version.

Although "Freemans Folly" (The Mosquito) is a close second

• Like 8