TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 21st ~  Do you fear the weather?  Does it alarm or worry you?

I try not to worry about things I can't control.  All I can do is prepare.  Even then, I don't worry about the weather as much as I worry about its effects on loved ones.

• Like 6

I don't fear the weather. Having said that, I had a tornado come through very close to me this previous Saturday. It didn't do any damage to my apartment, but a lot of houses and buildings close to us got trashed. I realized when it was going down that I didn't have any place else to go, so why worry, but at the same time it's humbling to realize that things are beyond your control. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I don't fear it, but I know better than to ignore it.

Fun coincidence last Friday I was getting yelled at by angry kids for telling them a concert had to end early because a thunder storm was coming in and water, a metal stage, amplifiers, and lightning don't mix well.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Fear? No. Worry? Sometimes: If I have to drive long distances in a blizzard, that can be a bit worrying, though it's the driving, not really the weather that's the problem. If there's a tornado warning, that can be a bit worrying, but it's really uncommon around here, and even in the heart of Tornado Alley, they're pretty uncommon. If my car is parked outside in a major hailstorm, that's a bit worrying, because it's a pain to have to deal with insurance adjusters. If I'm out on foot on the plains and see a thunderstorm approaching, that can be a bit worrying as well.

Weather of various sorts can be dangerous or unpleasant to deal with, so it's rational to worry a bit (and take precautions) when it's threatening. But "fear" would definitely be overstating the emotion.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I don't fear regular storms or lightning. Tornadoes, twisters, and higher weather phenomena, yes because of how highly destructive they are.

On the flip side, I also fear too hot of weather, because it too can be destructive: droughts, forest fires, sunstroke and sun-poisoning.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

If by "worry about what I'm having for supper because I'm caught in the edge of a surprise tornado"... Sure, since we rarely get powerful enough tornadoes around here.  Either way, I was glad I made it to the nearest mall that day, because that was an arduous ten minutes of dealing with a ton of rain and hail (so bad with wipers on full you still couldn't see often enough to keep moving).  My only worry at that time was getting to somewhere safe so if I was stuck somewhere, it was an area where I could tell hubby that yup, I'm safe. 

Well, it was a surprise to me, since I don't put the radio on, but that previous customer I'd been at told me about it, and apparently the warning has gone out just a few minutes previous (and when I got back to my truck after delivering, I think there was a weather warning push notification).  I had been watching the rapidly building clouds though. 

Do I actually fear it? No.  I live far enough in town and such events are so rare up here I'm not really worried about them, just more a case of thinking about how I should ensure my work truck has an emergency food stash in it.  (I used to do this in my car when I had one, but never really thought about having one for work vehicle since I have sooooo many fast food joints in my delivery area), and most weather conditions don't bother me too much, just a case of working through them. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Fear, no. This area blizzards and droughts are generally the worst things we see. Worry, yes. I'm a farmer/rancher and my life depends on the weather. I've had to work outside in all kinds of weather so I know how to prepare for and handle it. Doesn't mean it's easy to deal with at times.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Like others, I take precautions when we get a bad forecast.

I do not fear the weather, but I sometimes fear my precautions aren't enough.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I've been frightened by the weather. Awed by it. I have worried about it, but I don't fear it. I do respect it, and keep aware of it. 

• Like 8

On 5/19/2019 at 9:24 PM, TGP said:

Question for:

May 20 ~ What do you think is the largest number of Miniatures you have painted (to completion*) in one day?

From start to finish - maybe 6 to a rough tabletop standard.   

But a number of years ago, I did paint a large portion of a GW WFB Lizardman army from start to finish in 2 days. It was around 40 lizardmen and 80 skinks to tabletop standard. 

I had taken a "Paint that Army" class on a Saturday at GhengisCon, and was so motivated by the class, I blew off the rest of the con, went home, and just started furiously painting with my new found techniques and skills. 

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I have come to hate lightning.  I'm not afraid of it (though I do respect it), but in the last two decades I've seen it do enormous amounts of damage to electronics equipment, usually causing my affected customers panic and stress.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I have a healthy concern for severe weather coming my way.  This IS tornado alley and we are remembering two deadly tornadoes that came through here 62 years ago this week, and the Joplin tornado 9years ago (on my way home from Reapercon).  9000 people are without power this morning in my area. 

I don't panic, but I do have a healthy respect for mother natures power. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I've already been in a tornado not of my own making, so no it doesn't bother me.

I live in Saskatchewan, where the weather says "hold my beer". We've had tornadoes, temperatures can be anywhere from -40 to +40o C in a year, there's been times when there was a 40 degree temperature difference in a 24-hour span, blizzards can dump 3 feet of snow in no time, huge thunderstorms can shake up the entire place (we're not called "the Land of Living Skies" for nothing), and I've seen it snow in every month over a span of years. So again no, weather doesn't bother me. It's unpredictable and has its extremes, so it needs to be understood and respected.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2019 at 10:24 PM, TGP said:

Question for:

May 20 ~ What do you think is the largest number of Miniatures you have painted (to completion*) in one day?

It might up to a dozen, depending on how you count it.

It was the Bones 1 rats. They came in threes, and I had four sprues. So a set of white rats, brown, gray, and black.

Being relatively simple designs, and in sets. Army style painting of identical color schemes made it a relatively speedy job.

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Not particularly. I know it's dangerous to drive in snowstorms, but sometimes I'm stuck doing it anyway.

And since I don't live in tornado/hurricane prone areas, there's no real worry. Even heavy snowstorms are more an annoyance than a cause to be afraid.

With all that being said, if I were stuck outside, lost in a snowstorm, without a clue as to where I am, I would imagine my stress levels would rise quite rapidly.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

No, not really. The worst I may have to worry about is icy sidewalks on my way to work, and that's only in the winter.

Although as some others have said, the climate is a concern. I live within a rain forest and the town I am in is dependent on hydro power, but our rainfall has been so low that the town has had to start running diesel generators to compensate for the low levels at the dam. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I don't think fear is the correct word, but it does worry me at times.

I always loved extreme weather...up until I bought a house. 

Now I worry about the basement flooding, the wind knocking a tree down, the snow or ice load damaging trees or the roof, hail damage, etc. Because all that has happened and cost $$$.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3