TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 21st ~  Do you fear the weather?  Does it alarm or worry you?

Fear, no. I Have healthy respect for? Certainly.

I try to plan for it, where I can, and otherwise... it is what it is. I have no real control over it, so I try not to worry about it.

Now, the people stuck out in it? Them, I can worry about. ^^;

• Like 8

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Nope. May not always like it, may have a healthy respect for it, but I'm not afraid of it. 

That being said, I'm getting concerned about the number of 95 degree (35 C) plus days with better than 80% humidity we've been experiencing over the last decade in my region. One or two here and there is common. But I've seen week long stretches of this weather multiple times a year for a couple of summers now. We've seen an accompanying increase in hard rain events along with it. So it's not been a big impact to agriculture yet. But I'm starting to see shifts in habitat composition along with it that seem to favor more invasive and disturbance tolerance species. And I'm starting to see reports of stream temperatures increasing over the summer months and amphibian surveys coming back with no species listed where we had moderately successful populations in the past. Take that however you want. But it's kind of worrying. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

There's no point fearing something like that. I worry about the outcome of bad weather and take precautions to protect my family, but beyond that, I don't worry about it. 

• Like 7

Monster post ahead, sorry! Didn't spend much time online lately due being mauled by life :unsure:

On 5/17/2019 at 9:43 AM, TGP said:

Question for:

May 17th ~ Last night a US television show (initials are TBBT) aired its last and final episode, did you tune in to watch  ?

I used to watch it, but drifted away about season 4. The humour was just getting a tad mean for my tastes.

On 5/18/2019 at 5:36 AM, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

May 18 to 19 ~ Do you prep Miniatures in well in advance of painting them?   (Scrape mold lines, prime, shade...etc.)

If Yes, are you going to prep some this weekend for the Memorial Day Weekend Painting Binge (which is next weekend)?

If I'm not in the mood to paint, I'll happily prep and prime minis for hours. I'm stupidly clumsy so I bought one of those mold line scraper thingamajigs from Games Workshop and its really sped up my prep times.

I've currently got a couple of trays worth of minis ready to go for when the inspiration finally hits.

On 5/20/2019 at 3:24 AM, TGP said:

Question for:

May 20 ~ What do you think is the largest number of Miniatures you have painted (to completion*) in one day?

About 30 in one day, I think. They weren't the best looking lizard men in the world, but they passed the arms length test :poke:

14 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Only if I'm out on the sea and the waves are higher than the boat. Or any time I have to go on a ferry to the Hebrides in winter. 

12 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Like most here, the weather is not a thing to fear, just to take adult precautions about. 

We have plenty of fools who insist on hiking up Mount Snowden in flip-flops and shorts, and then act all surprised when they get hypothermia and need rescuing. So I suppose this is just the various weather reporting services covering their bets.

We have those muppets too. Hiking up Ben Nevis in shorts and t-shirts is never a good idea, even in July. I have the greatest respect for the volunteer mountain service people that have to go rescue them.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I have come to hate lightning.  I'm not afraid of it (though I do respect it), but in the last two decades I've seen it do enormous amounts of damage to electronics equipment, usually causing my affected customers panic and stress.

Yup, definitely hear you on lightning.  Sure makes the big capacitors on power poles go BOOOOOM loud enough to wake up several neighbourhoods, and have the police bomb squad show up because of just how loud it was...  (alongside all the emergency power crews, that somehow responded only thirty seconds slower than the fire trucks did).

...And then you can't sleep for two hours because the familiar 60Hz hum in the walls isn't there o_O

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

If I'm not in the mood to paint, I'll happily prep and prime minis for hours. I'm stupidly clumsy so I bought one of those mold line scraper thingamajigs from Games Workshop and its really sped up my prep times.

Do those things actually work? I always thought about buying one of them, because I am ridiculously slow/meticulous with cleaning my plastics. I always have to use a sharp blade on my x-acto knife. I refrained because I thought it was just another overpriced scam from them. But if they actually work...

Do it clean up well? I imagine it only works for plastics? And do you need to sharpen it? Oh, and can you use them with either hand, or are they made to only scrape with one-side? (I'm a lefty living in a right-handed world...)

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Do those things actually work? I always thought about buying one of them, because I am ridiculously slow/meticulous with cleaning my plastics. I always have to use a sharp blade on my x-acto knife. I refrained because I thought it was just another overpriced scam from them. But if they actually work...

Do it clean up well? I imagine it only works for plastics? And do you need to sharpen it? Oh, and can you use them with either hand, or are they made to only scrape with one-side? (I'm a lefty living in a right-handed world...)

Coming from the same skeptical mindset and the use of x-acto knives for decades I hesitantly ordered one.

Now I keep mentally asking "why didn't somebody tell me about these sometime last century?". And the tool looks usable by either hand with equal facility.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

They are amazing! I wouldn't use them on metal or (bleargh) finecast, but I've used them on Bones, GW plastic and resin with excellent results. Mine is two years old and is as sharp as the day I got it. Even if it did dull, I would happily buy a new one at this point as it's so handy.

Regarding the lefty issue, it's a completely straight symmetrical tool so I don't think you'd have any problems with it.

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Coming from the same skeptical mindset and the use of x-acto knives for decades I hesitantly ordered one.

Now I keep mentally asking "why didn't somebody tell me about these sometime last century?". And the tool looks usable by either hand with equal facility.

GEM

Totally agree! I'm just too clumsy to use blades with any level of confidence, so a friend recommended them to me. They save so much time and effort ^_^

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Don't know about the gw version, but there's a 3 sided one I got from micromark that works in either hand. It will eventually need a little sharpening. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Question for:

May 22nd ~ What is your favorite (or top three) supernatural features** from a fantasy world ?

Edited by TGP
**sites, locales, places, landmarks, points of interest
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 22nd ~ What is your favorite (or top three) supernatural features from a fantasy world ?

The presence of Magic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Things like those floating mountains from Avatar.....or MPATHGrail’s Bridge of Death......Arthurian Castles of This That or Other...

Any of these sort of things:

Bizarre landmarks from RPGs that you have played are good.

Wyrde locations from Modules you have run or run through. 

Arcane places from your own invented worlds or character’s backstories.

Places with a Wow! factor.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 22nd ~ What is your favorite (or top three) supernatural features** from a fantasy world ?

Top three of the top of my head right this second:

The "floating bowl" islands of Zendikar:

237.thumb.jpg.e3b9ebb6a22b835a14beea512a980794.jpg

The City of Towers, Sharn, of Eberron:

285550709_Sharn01a.thumb.jpg.da5170fd88bcc5bbbd12d6db0acca102.jpg

Edoras, Middle-Earth (always my favorite place in ME, and I wept when I saw it in previews for the movie version of The Two Towers... Like they ripped it straight from my brain):

229f6c380d9377eee19fe56d3f8c1a16.jpg.8cf61c00af1bdc7b783d48545bee2470.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Dunmanifestin in Discworld. The name alone made me smile for days.

• Like 6

I like the concept of the Combine Spires in Everquest. Scheduled teleportation on a regular basis across continents or even worlds that doesn't require you to be a powerful wizard. Teleportation in general really. If I could port my life would be a lot more convenient :). 

• Like 5