Sign in to follow this  
TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 22nd ~ What is your favorite (or top three) supernatural features** from a fantasy world ?

The magic, whatever form that might take.  

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Totally agree! I'm just too clumsy to use blades with any level of confidence, so a friend recommended them to me. They save so much time and effort ^_^

I can cut myself with just about anything (that's why I wear thimbles or lots of athletic tape on my fingers when I bust out the knife), so I am now very interested in getting one. Thank you and @Green Eyed Monster for weighing in.

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Don't know about the gw version, but there's a 3 sided one I got from micromark that works in either hand. It will eventually need a little sharpening. 

I have seen that one before, just always thought it looked a bit too similar to my x-acto blade to be an upgrade, and wondered how long the blade would last (doesn't seem like they sell replacement blades).

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 22nd ~ What is your favorite (or top three) supernatural features** from a fantasy world ?

The Shoikan Grove from Dragonlance (favorite setting). A guardian tree grove around a tower so terrifying that even kender (DL's version of halflings, which are renowned for fearlessness in DL) are unable to make it through.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I have seen that one before, just always thought it looked a bit too similar to my x-acto blade to be an upgrade, and wondered how long the blade would last (doesn't seem like they sell replacement blades).

I've been using mine for about a year now, and it's just now getting a bit dull after doing most of bones 4, all of starsaga, siege of the citidel and a few other big piles of minis. also the blade is reversible. (you flip it around to have a second fresh set of blades)

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

non-combat magic

kobolds

magic items in locations that are hard to explain. (why was the axe of god beheading in a wood worker's shop, I don't know, why was there an amulet of camel commanding on top of a glacier)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

The Enchanted Forest in Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles. 

The Star Tree from Final Fantasy 11.

My husband's version of the Earthheart forge, in his own dnd campaign world.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Telling thermodynamics to sit down and shove it with magic.

Grand, impossible architecture (Floating palaces, mountaintops carved into fortresses, vast underground vaults, etc.)

Dragons

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

DRAGONS! 

... but you knew I was going to say that. ^^;

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

• The Spelljammer. The legendary manta shaped living spaceship with a city on its back from the D&D setting of the same name.
  • Hobbit homes. i.e. the partly buried circular homes of hobbits in the Shire. They just look so amazingly cozy.
  • Anthropomorphized female anything. Artists have a knack of making anything sexy looking, even if it makes no sense (lizards with breasts because... well boobs :bday:)
Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

The Western Air Temple from Avatar The Last Airbender. All the Air Temples are pretty cool, but this one is made of upside down buildings on the underside of a cliff.

Minor God of War 4 Spoiler:

Freya's house. It's built onto the belly of a giant turtle.

Ok... I'm gonna cheat a bit for my third one. It's Sci-Fi, not Fantasy, but I think it falls a bit under 'Supernatural'. The 'planet' known as Olaf from the RPG Eclipse Phase. It's over 2 million kilometers in diameter, turns out it's a dyson sphere, only you're on the outside of the sphere, not the inside. 

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

A slightly random collection that is more about what comes to mind than any sort of definitive list of favorites:

• The town in Morrowind that is built into the shell of a dead giant crab-thing
  • The folding backpack in Heinlein's Glory Road
  • Orthanc
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

The Chaos Wastes

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

My brain has temporarily forgotten the other places that I found interesting, but one that I remember are the Gates of Argonath:

image.thumb.png.3de172d81b50b30c91a9687aee4d0383.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question for:

May 23rd ~ Do you use online (or computer based) random generator 

scripts, programs, or apps to help build your RPG campaigns?  If you do, which ones?

Edited by TGP
I have seen some that do names, Inns, towns, dungeons, individual rooms, I wonder if there’s one for ships...
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

scripts, programs, or apps to help build your RPG campaigns?  If you do, which ones?

When I need random numbers and don't want to (or can't) use dice, I usually just write something in a spreadsheet:

=int(rand()*19)+1

for a 19-sided die, for instance.

ETA: I don't usually use random tables much. For character names, if I can't come up with something, I usually use The Character Naming Sourcebook, which is sorted by sex and culture or generate a random letter or two for inspiration. And at times I'll use a random noun or adjective generator like the ones at random-ize.com

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I have a few bookmarked that I use occasionally. 

Name generators are always useful; and yes, I think there is one for ships... somewhere. >.>

• Like 4