TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

2 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

It's the Sask. Cheese Factory at 2530 Quance St. in Regina, in the strip mall by the liquour store. Also, how can you live in Saskatchewan and not be subjected to Baby Duck? ::P:

I haven't had or even thought about Baby Duck since high school. Must have subconsciously blocked all memories of it. ^_^ Thanks for the cheese info. Next time we're in Regina we need to swing buy there. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

May 25th & 26th ~ Do you celebrate any #HashtagHolidays? What is your favorite wine and cheese pairing? What is your favorite cheese if no wine is involved?

a what?

um. drinkable red, and swiss

feta

I am kind of limited in the cheeses I can eat. If I were going just on taste alone gouda or blue, but those would both leave me sick the day or two after.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

May 25th & 26th ~ Do you celebrate any #HashtagHolidays? What is your favorite wine and cheese pairing? What is your favorite cheese if no wine is involved?

No.

I don't drink.

It can depend on the use. But, if I had to choose it'd be a cheddar of some kind.

American Cheese is a guilty pleasure of mine.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Weekend Questions for:

I celebrate Pi day. The rest I just tend to miss.

I prefer my cheeses with red wines, in my experience the drinkable white wines don't have the depth necessary to stand up to cheeses stronger than muenster. But I will enjoy that muenster. Or a nice gouda. Or a sharp crumbly cheddar. Or a nice parm with vegetables. But nothing blue. Never could get the hang of blue cheese.

• Like 7

May 27, 2019 Question:

Today is Memorial Day in the United States, where we remember those who have died in the service of our country. Today's question, have you served or are you a veteran of your Nation's military? [Thank you by the way]

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

Today is Memorial Day in the United States, where we remember those who have died in the service of our country. Today's question, have you served or are you a veteran of your Nation's military? [Thank you by the way]

I'm a Warrant Officer in the Royal Netherlands Air Force.

Enlisted in 1988. Will ( probably) retire in 2024.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

Yes: corpsman US Navy. [My pleasure]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

May 27, 2019 Question:

I have not. I oft times regret not having done so and words can never truly express how grateful I am to all those who have served and are serving. 

I am also particularly grateful that although I have a lot of friends and family who have served, they've all made it home safely.

• Like 7

May 27, 2019 Question:

Lieutenant commander (Engineering) RNVR from 1979 to 1992. (And Thank you, as well.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

May 27, 2019 Question:

Nope, haven't served, never tried.  There's something about how my dad wanted a civilian career for me (a good portion of the extended family went military, typically about 80/15/5 Air Force / Army / Navy between all three (two are in the coast guard)), and there's also the fact the recruiters that didn't know my dad took one look at me and went "yeah, not going to be the guy who recruits him, I'm not having that come back to me...." 

Besides, even in the mid to late '90's some of the things I deal with day to day would disqualify me for service (especially my issue with my knees!), and some of the physical injuries I've sustained over the years could be a serious liability to any squad I served with.  Sure, I was looking at Air Force, but most of the trades I was contemplating I would never have qualified for. 

....That and I didn't want to wind up in Bagotville *shudders* or worse, Wainwright! (or other, insert small town in middle of nowhere air force base here) 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

No.  Admit to briefly considering it, and decided there was no way I'd survive the first couple of weeks.

Have an uncle who was a Tin Can sailor (he did boilers? Cannot recall the name of his ship, though), and my Dad was army, but that had nothing to do with my decision. ^^;

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

Today is Memorial Day in the United States, where we remember those who have died in the service of our country.

Thank you for covering @Corsair

And excellent question choice. 

Today's question, have you served or are you a veteran of your Nation's military?

I have not had that experience. Relatives of mine have.

My grandfather, a carpenter, got conscripted into the Army for the First World War; he was a signals man (carried a spool of wire instead of a rifle). I had an Uncle who served in an artillery unit, (as a medic?) during the Second World War, mostly in Italy. My Dad was drafted into the Army during part of the Korean War, he was in the quartermaster corps. I have a nephew who just finished eight years in the US Navy as a Nuclear Engineer (I think he is still in the reserves.)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7

On 5/25/2019 at 9:41 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

I don't celebrate those. But if somebody else brings in pie, or donuts, or cinnamon buns, or whatever, I'll eat them. Which is a sort of meta-celebration, I suppose. :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge fan of the combination of wine and cheese. Apple pie and cheddar cheese, now ....

Favorite cheese will depend on use: Mozzarella for pizza, Cheese Wiz for pepper steaks, American for open-face grilled cheese, Swiss in a ham and cheese sandwich, Pepper Jack, sharp Cheddar, smoked Gouda, Havarti, ... (nearly anything, really) for just eating.

Now that Doug reminds me, I do celebrate pi day, which is a ridiculous day based on a very specific date format, and a good excuse for pie.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

No. Seriously considered it when I was younger but I've got terrible eyesight and a deaf ear. Not sure they would have taken me and if they had I would've been at a desk somewhere. Don't want a desk job.

• Like 5