TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

Today is Memorial Day in the United States, where we remember those who have died in the service of our country. Today's question, have you served or are you a veteran of your Nation's military? [Thank you by the way]

I have not. My grandfather, father, and both uncles served in various branches, but none of my brothers and sisters have. I sometimes feel a disappointment, not carrying on the line of service into my generation. But honestly, when the time came to choose between university or service, I had already spent years abroad, desired to be back home, and knew I wouldn't do well in the military.

So thank you to all those who gave their lives so I could make that choice. And thank you to those who risk making that sacrifice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

Today is Memorial Day in the United States, where we remember those who have died in the service of our country. Today's question, have you served or are you a veteran of your Nation's military? [Thank you by the way]

I have not. I grew up on Navy and Air Force bases and joined AFROTC in college, but I never signed the contract. In retrospect, that was probably the right decision; I think I needed a bit more stability after growing up moving every couple of years.

A sincere "Thank you" and my condolences to the families of those who gave their lives in service to liberty.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

I served 6 years in the US Army as a Signal Officer. 

While today is the day we honor our fallen, I carry these 5 fallen brothers in my heart each and every day.

MAJ Jason George

CPT Bartt Owens

2LT Tom Witt

2LT Curt Sansoucie

2LT Spenser Dodge

2019-05-27 10.32.04.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

I only talked about myself, I see people mention their family also.

My Grandfather from Mother's side crossed the channel during WWII and served in the British Forces, He didn't want to talk too much about it only that he wielded a flamethrower at a certain time.

My Grandfather from my Father's side passed away when I was a baby, he has served in the Dutch Army well. I never knew what he did exactly.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

No, but I've had the honour of knowing a few WW2 veterans in my life.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Now that Doug reminds me, I do celebrate pi day, which is a ridiculous day based on a very specific date format, and a good excuse for pie.

Do you also celebrate it at 15:09 just be silly? (3.14159, but most go home before or at 16:30)

17 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

No, but I've had the honour of knowing a few WW2 veterans in my life.

My nearby film camera store is run by someone who survived world War two... As a civilian.  Even ran into one of the main guards from one of the concentration camps he was in later on too. 

Wally is an awesome guy, with so many stories to tell. 

As for family, nearest I know off the top of my head is dad twisted wrenches for various different aircraft through different wars and theaters.  He won't talk about a lot of them, not even being in Norway for three months despite that one supposedly being just training. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

Nope.

Even when I did consider it when in college in the early 90s, being born with a heart condition disqualified me automatically.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

I have not served. 

• Like 5

About to post the next question. Thanks again @Corsair for covering for me.

Possible qualifying items  for the next question will *include: fire pit, induction grill, wok burner, bread oven, toaster, gas grill, pizza oven, Dutch oven, microwave, toaster oven, chiminea, Crock pot, Fire Table...

*but there may be other items. 

A comment by @unruly inspired the upcoming inquiry. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

About to post the next question. Thanks again @Corsair for covering for me.

Possible qualifying items  for the next question will *include: fire pit, induction grill, wok burner, bread oven, toaster, gas grill, pizza oven, Dutch oven, microwave, toaster oven, chiminea, Crock pot, Fire Table...

*but there may be other items. 

Does it feature "how to hopefully not burn the house down by cooking, griffon edition?"  Or is it more featuring "how to brew dangerously good food for stamina for a seven day challenge?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

Today's question, have you served or are you a veteran of your Nation's military? 

Nope.

• Like 4

Question for:

May 28th ~  Cooking options: how many different ways or means do you have to heat food?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 28th ~  Cooking options: how many different ways or means do you have to heat food?

Uh... Lessee.

Crockpot, microwave, stove (including oven), and Mr. Thorne's charcoal grill. 

My old propane camp stove is around here somewhere....

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

A few - oven, toaster, microwave (barely gets used), crock pot, breadmaker (also barely gets used), Keurig K500 (you can make Mr.Noodle cup a soup!), rangetop (yeah, part of the oven to most, but still)...

....And my personal favourite on the road....dashboard pizza....  For those unfamiliar, it's the best way to reheat the pizza that's partially frozen itself in your truck during winter.  Since you already have the defrost on the "melt driver's face" setting, just throw your ziplock bag of pizza onto the dash for a few minutes.  Mmmm, niiice and warm pizza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Let's see: Oven, microwave, toaster, coffee pot*, stove, waffle maker, crock pot, fire, air, sunlight, car engine (*3), car heater (*3), lawnmower, water heater, furnace, refrigerator compressor, computer cooling fans (x5), grill, forge**, ... I'm sure there are more.

* You could heat food in it, not just poison, though I wouldn't. :unsure:

** It's not set up, but we have it.

• Like 5