TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 28th ~  Cooking options: how many different ways or means do you have to heat food?

Oven

Microwave

Toaster

Crockpot

Honestly though, I'm not much of a cook. I got the crockpot fairly recently and other than some potatoes that I have cooked in it everything else has been an utter failure. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 28th ~  Cooking options: how many different ways or means do you have to heat food?

Not quite as crazy as Doug but his list did give me a couple more ideas. Gas stove, electric stove, 2 microwaves, 2 toasters, toaster oven (for baking sculpey), 2 propane BBQs, 1 wood/charcoal BBQ, waffle maker, crock pot, electric tea kettle, propane camp stove, propane torch, acetylene torch, fire pit. Mostly it's the 2 microwaves and stoves that do the work although others get used in extreme situations sometimes.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Ways that I... own? As in right now? Hmmm...

Oven

Stovetop

Microwave

Broiler

Rice cooker and/or tamale steamer (same machine, different name)

Add chiles ::P: Hey, you said 'heat food', not 'cook food'.

As for ways I could acquire access to (in that I know someone who has one or could build something given enough time and effort):

Crock pot

Electric skillet

Grill

Hot bricks

Hot water bath, though I dislike sous vide on principle

Hot plate

Clay smoker

Solar cooker

Stick it outside (requires daylight, asphalt, and the knowledge that I ain't eating that)

Or I could even just set things on fire. But that one might get me in trouble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, Zink said:

1 wood/charcoal BBQ, waffle maker, 

I soooo read that without the period, and instantly though "jeez, you guys in Saskatchewan really will grill anything".  Charcoal fired bbq waffles. 

Almost sounds tasty, actually.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

@Unruly made a comment about frying baloney the other day and at that point I realized (whether doing that was a good or a horrid idea) I had no means of trying the notion. 

My answer is: two.

I have a microwave and a toaster... :mellow:  ...It was once four. ::(:

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Hey, you said 'heat food', not 'cook food'.

In defense of today’s question, the first word was “cooking” <_< ...call it a strong hint?

But some foods only want heating I suppose. I had a can of soup today, I think I only heated it; ...three minutes on power level eight. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Good day, I'm Pezler the Polychromatic and I'm here to talk to you about cooking with magic. Helps you save time, and brings the deliciousness to every morsel of food. Great when you're cooking by yourself, or with friends. *takes cast iron skillet off of fire elemental's head* Burning Hands is wonderful for giving your porterhouse that flame-kissed char, and having flaming sphere brings 2d6 points of savoury goodness to your chili or stew when you need things low and slow. Fire storm is perfect for when you need to barbecue for large parties, and it keeps the salad beside it fresh and crisp; particularly good when paired with shout to be used for quickly tenderizing large amounts of meat! When making that perfect seviche, Melf's acid arrow gives the dish that wonderful citrus tang. Short on time and don't have a horde of unseen servants? Blade barrier cuts your time in half, dicing and pureeing 6d10 points of food every round when you're in a hurry. Ice storm is wonderful for quickly refilling those sno-cones, and feather fall can be used to make your pastries light and fluffy. And don't forget the classic fireball; an entire group of pigs can be instantly turned into a roomful of crispy bacon. Prepare for 10d6 points of deliciousness.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Oven/stove, microwave, toaster, and waffle maker. I'd like to get a bread machine, but that may have to wait.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

• Electric Stove
  • Oven
  • Microwave
  • BBQ
  • Toaster
  • Water Cooker
  • Gourmet Set
  • ( Chocolate) Fondue set
  • Waffle Grill
  • Deep Fryer ( almost forgot)

That makes 10.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Eight: Range, microwave, rice cooker, crock pot, Instant Pot, George Foreman grill, toaster, gas grill.

• Like 5

nine, in order of use:

Microwave

Toaster

Gas Stove

Toaster Oven

Gas Grill

Electric Griddle

Hot water heater (used mostly to heat water to bend bones in a separate container)

Crockpot

Coffee maker (for visitors)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oven, range top, coffee maker, crockpot [2], electric skillet, grill, firepit and I know how to make a fire. also, never forget manifold burritos, wrap frozen burritos in foil, strap em under the hood of your Jeep while off roading.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Unusual question.

1. Convection oven.
  2. Electric stovetop (half of it is induction sand is really good at heating up ferrous pots/pans).
  3. Toaster (2 slices). Haven't used this one in years.
  4. Convection toaster oven (really a mini oven that I constantly use).
  5. Electric kettle, with adjustable temperature (for the add boiling water + wait 2-3 minutes instant noodles; or various teas).
  6. Microwave.
  7. Slow cooker (large enough for a 10lb bird).
  8. Tap water (I got this weird habit where I prefer my vegetable juice to be warm before drinking it, so I run a can under hot water for a moment).
  9. Leave out it in the sun! (Mostly just cheese out of the fridge).
  10. Body heat (more of a defrost feature). If I got some chocolate bars in the fridge, or a slice of processed cheese (still wrapped). Body heat warms them up to get more flavor.
  11. Computer/laptop. Lots of residual heat coming out of them. Also used to heat up my vegetable juice for lunch.
  12. Two different sizes of coffee makers. Basic boil and drip.
  13. Deep fryer. Haven't used it in several years.
  14. Rice cooker (basic). Simple pot with a heating element on the bottom that goes click when it senses it's overheating after all the water evaporated.
  15. Rice cooker (high end). Zorijushi brand, the kind you see in Asian households. Can be used for other things than rice (but never tried).
  16. Bread machine. Only good to heat the bread it makes. But one could get creative. I don't use it anymore as I  hand make my bread.
  17. Vitamix blender. Technically, there's a "soup mode" on it where the mere friction of the blades can heat the concoction.
  18. Popcorn machine. The kind where you put a film of oil on the bottom, two wire arms stir the kernels, they pop, flip over and you got a large bowl of popcorn.

I don't have the room for a BBQ, and I don't camp, so no portable butane heater or the likes.

P.S. I keep remembering more stuff!

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Oven with stovetop

Electric griddle (use constantly for breakfasts)

Toaster

Rice cooker

Charcoal grill

Waffle iron for breakfast waffles

Waffle iron for thin cookie-type waffles

Electric kettle (can technically do soup, although we only use it for water

We have not kept a microwave since our Panasonic caught fire and melted its glass turntable through the bottom of a cardboard dish under a microwave-safe pot pie around 1990.

EDIT: Oh, and an electric hot plate in my studio which is scrupulously kept away from all food-related uses

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Stove

Microwave

Toaster Oven

Rice cooker

Slow cooker

InstaPot

Gas BBQ

Loooove cooking.  

• Like 5