Getting To Know You — May 2019

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The “How to Buy all the Minis I Want with the Little Money I Have.” game.   I think the fact that I seem to be missing a significant amount of the $$$ tokens required to play is making the g

Did someone say dragon sculpture?     This one was causing road accidents a few months ago in Wales..   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47103392

Posted Images

And here I thought I would get to do some more merge testing...

ww2-plane-identification1.jpg

In the spirit of never wasting a good question. Friday’s question will be last month’s almost, but didn’t happen, substitute question. The big image above is inspiration, hinting, mood setting. The Friday question will not be a weekend question. There will be a Saturday/Sunday question. 

24 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I was almost ready to attempt impersonating an inquisitor and post a question on my own.

I get to merge test after all. 

OK, that was four minutes. Now I just have to wait long enough so the question doesn’t get merged. (By the way, answers are not limited to the image above...)

Edited by TGP
I experienced a merge after 4 minutes; but 8 minutes elapsed between the question and the last edit of the long post.
  • Like 6
26 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 3rd: What is your favorite aircraft design from WW2 ?

Without a doubt, the Supermarine Spitfire. I've been lucky enough to see one do a flyby and it was glorious ^_^

image.thumb.png.44d5744c0acc5a66212102fae2605b38.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I'm not sure I have one.  So I'll tell a story instead. 

The de Havilland Mosquito was built as a fast bomber for the Royal Air Force.  It was one of the fastest aircraft in the world in 1941.  And its frame was built almost entirely out of wood laminate.

One of the great things about wood, compared to metal, is that it's light.  One of the bad things about wood is it rots.

There are only four airworthy examples of this aircraft remaining in the world.  All of these have had significant restoration work done.  Much of the restoration work is based on work by one man, Glyn Powell, who had to reverse engineer many of the construction techniques so he could restore one he had bought.  Apparently de Havilland Aircraft Company Limited either didn't keep good records or they were lost after they were acquired.  The first Mosquito that finished restoration work was owned by the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, VA.

Some day, I'd like to see an Me262 in flight, so I can get an idea of what a WW2-era jet aircraft is like.

• Like 8
38 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Got to go with my name, the F4U Corsair. But, to be honest I think the Spitfire is the most elegant warplane ever.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I can't say I have one, as it's not really something I've ever been into.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I love the innovative design of the P-38 Lightning, but my all-time favorite has to be the Curtiss P-40 because  reading The Flying Tigers was what ignited my love of all things WW2.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I’ve always been partial to the P-38 Lightning.  I had the good fortune to see 3 at once in an airshow, but that’s been more than 40 years ago now.  My father is an aviation fan, so we went to airshows featuring the WWII planes any time we could.  He still does, living near Willow Run in Michigan, where they hold one each summer, but I haven’t made it up that week in several years.

I like some of the unlikely planes.  Back in the late ‘90’s we tracked down an airshow in Ontario featuring a flying Swordfish biplane torpedo bomber...

• Like 9

There are many, many old Warbirds that I absolutely love. Picking one is difficult. But, if I have to narrow it down to one I will go with the P-51D Mustang. The Supermarine Spitfire is a very, very close second. The sound of a Rolls-Royce Merlin V12 is one of the most beautiful things in this world, and no amount of video can do justice to just how amazing it sounds irl. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Without a doubt, the Supermarine Spitfire. I've been lucky enough to see one do a flyby and it was glorious ^_^

image.thumb.png.44d5744c0acc5a66212102fae2605b38.png

Thank you Kuroneko, It has to be Spitfire, an any version.

Although "Freemans Folly" (The Mosquito) is a close second

• Like 8

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TGP
      The rules: as they were last month (in addition to all regular forum rules) except where I sneakily changed them:

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question. †
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day, a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... ††
      2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
      2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
      3. Questions are going to be posted sometime before 1 AM Reaper time (US Central).
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to Talespinner or Morihalda… 
      5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
      6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
      7. Weekend questions may take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.
      8. Pix always welcome.

The first question will need to be posted after a brief (10 minute) pause to foil the merging of posts.
      The footnotes, because I can't resist doing †††footnotes:

† I will aim for 0600 Reaper/Nottingham time.
      ††  If subs and backstops could wait until 11AM in Reaper/Denton's timezone to see if I remember.
      ††† …because I re-remembered how to do the dagger ( † ) symbol.
    • By Morihalda
      The rules as they currently stand (in addition to all regular forum rules):

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or some thing) I will post a question.
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day (or send a recently asked one!) a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 
      2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
      3. Questions are going to be posted sometime before 1 AM Reaper time (US Central).
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me... 
      6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
      7. Weekend questions may take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.

The first question shall be posted after a brief pause to prevent the merging of posts.
    • By TGP
      Index and Contents

First round Artist Trading Card sent to DougBL

Second round Artist Trading Card sent to Pcktlnt

Step - By - Step pictures of Platypode ATC (New June 2)

TGPTGP
    • By ManvsMini
      Happy New Year and welcome to Getting to Know You, January 2021 Edition!

The rules as they currently stand (in addition to all regular forum rules):

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 
      3. Questions are going to be posted sometime before 10:30am Eastern US Daylight time.
      4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me... 

Thank you all for playing along as we get to know the real you... tell me, Malcolm Reynolds, are you familiar with the works of Shan Yu?

The first question shall be posted after a brief pause to prevent the merging of posts.

-MvM
    • By Glitterwolf
      Welcome to Getting to Know You, NOVEMBER 2020 Edition.

The rules as they currently stand ( we all know most of you rebellious lot will ignore most of it, but one can try)

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.
      1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 
      3. Questions are going to be posted between 8:00 hours and 12:00 hours CET. ( Central European Time)
      6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
      7. Weekend questions will usually take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.

All HAIL WOOF!
  • Who's Online   8 Members, 1 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)