Sign in to follow this  
TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 28th ~  Cooking options: how many different ways or means do you have to heat food?

Stove top, microwave, oven, toaster, instant pot, slapping, grill in the park, coffee pot, car engine. 

Oh, and waffle maker!

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 28th ~  Cooking options: how many different ways or means do you have to heat food?

The usual: oven/stove, microwave, charcoal grill.

Specialty/luxury methods: George Foreman grill, electric griddle (I like making more than one pancake at a time). Pretty sure we have a waffle iron and a sandwich press grill from the 90s around here.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Oven, gas range, toaster oven, crockpot(s), sous-vide machine, waffle iron, microwave oven, open flame, hot water, coffee maker, sun + magnifier, hot light bulb... Maybe more?

I suppose, if I absolutely had to raise the temperature of food for some reason, I could also sit on it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Let's see...

Stove top, oven, microwave, toaster, electric grill, 3 crockpots, 2 big roasters, toaster oven, hibachi, multi fuel camp stove, one of those gimmicky portable stoves that runs on wood, large firepit with grill and a little ledge for stuffing wrapped veggies down in charcoals (currently in need of repair), 1800w induction plate, 30,000 btu turkey fryer (although I just make beer on it), superman style eye lasers, electric griddle, an older propane grill, waffle iron, electric water boiler, flambe torch, insta pot, and I'm considering getting an air fryer. 

I honestly thought this would be a bigger list, I might be forgetting something. We like being able to cook as many different dishes as possible and having the ability to do things like make a dozen different dishes at once for large gatherings. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Oh jeez, I probably have waaaaaay too many.  Let's see.  Stove/Oven (with broiler), microwave, grill, smoker, sous vide, waffle iron, air fryer, crock pot, pressure cooker, electric griddle, electric soup pot thing we use for making pasta sometimes, alcohol and hotplate warmers for a fondue set, fire pit in a pinch, and does a food dehydrator count? if so then 15? I may be forgetting something.  the Mrs and I have a thing for kitchen gadgets...

And from my college days, I also have a clothes iron ;)

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

coffee pot, car engine. 

Car engine... now that brings back some memories.  Nothing like warming up frozen burritos while you're driving to work.

Edited by Cygnwulf
Forgot a couple
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Cygnwulf reminds me: I think we also have a couple of cans of Sterno for keeping food warm, and certainly some candles for (small) sources of heat/flame.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

car engine (*3)

* You could heat food in it, not just poison, though I wouldn't. :unsure:

manifold burritos are a thing! :)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Let's see...

Stove top, oven, microwave, toaster, electric grill, 3 crockpots, 2 big roasters, toaster oven, hibachi, multi fuel camp stove, one of those gimmicky portable stoves that runs on wood, large firepit with grill and a little ledge for stuffing wrapped veggies down in charcoals (currently in need of repair), 1800w induction plate, 30,000 btu turkey fryer (although I just make beer on it), superman style eye lasers, electric griddle, an older propane grill, waffle iron, electric water boiler, flambe torch, insta pot, and I'm considering getting an air fryer. 

I honestly thought this would be a bigger list, I might be forgetting something. We like being able to cook as many different dishes as possible and having the ability to do things like make a dozen different dishes at once for large gatherings. 

Sad you can't use Kryptonite scented candles anymore. [It says so right on the package.]

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I soooo read that without the period, and instantly though "jeez, you guys in Saskatchewan really will grill anything".  Charcoal fired bbq waffles. 

Almost sounds tasty, actually.. 

If you have one of those old style cast iron waffle makers you can. :poke: Nah, mine's mostly for meat with the rare veggies and even rarer pizza.

• Like 4

On 5/27/2019 at 7:11 AM, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

Today is Memorial Day in the United States, where we remember those who have died in the service of our country. Today's question, have you served or are you a veteran of your Nation's military? [Thank you by the way]

I have not, and I am not.

If we are talking about family, I have two cousins who served in the army, one of whom was deployed to Iraq on at least two occasions. I know that I had a great-uncle who was killed in France during World War II (my mother has his purple heart). I believe she had a second uncle serving in the war, but I don't remember off-hand what happened to him.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

What wavelength?

For cooking purposes I like to go with something around the 0.01 to 10 nm range. But because normal human eyes can't perceive that I also like to modulate between that and a nice red beam at around 700 nm. That way my cooking is still extremely quick, but bystanders still have a modicum of safety as they can actually see where the beam is. Safety first and all that. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Thoramel said:

For cooking purposes I like to go with something around the 0.01 to 10 nm range. But because normal human eyes can't perceive that I also like to modulate between that and a nice red beam at around 700 nm. That way my cooking is still extremely quick, but bystanders still have a modicum of safety as they can actually see where the beam is. Safety first and all that. 

Hmm, I'd have thought that high-energy photons would cause too much ionization relative to the amount of heating. But you're the expert.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

For reference, how long would you need to stare at a frozen turkey to properly thaw and cook it?

Since you don't want to incinerate it (which laser eyes do well), but slowly cook it with even heat, it's gotta take a while.

[Imagines Superman spending a whole afternoon staring at a turkey instead of, you know, SAVING THE WORLD!]

Gives new meaning to "A watched pot never boils".

• Haha 10

On 5/27/2019 at 7:11 AM, Corsair said:

May 27, 2019 Question:

Today is Memorial Day in the United States, where we remember those who have died in the service of our country. Today's question, have you served or are you a veteran of your Nation's military? [Thank you by the way]

Yes. 20 years in the Navy.

17 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Oven/stove

microwave

the usual kitchen appliances

charcoal grill

fire pit

fire place

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2