Sign in to follow this  
TGP

Getting To Know You — May 2019

17 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 28th ~  Cooking options: how many different ways or means do you have to heat food?

6 that I can think of off the top of my head, not counting things like hot sidewalks or car baked potatoes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Question for:

May 29th ~ How long does someone need to be dead for it to be considered 'archaeology' and not 'grave robbing' ?

Edited by TGP
This one is from Chaoswolf.
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

May 29th ~ How long does someone need to be dead for it to be considered 'archaeology' and not 'grave robbing' ?

Might as well go with my answer from the other thread. When the dead's relatives don't complain about it.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Saying it before Pezler can say something to the effect...  When done with enough flare...  Even 42 seconds later isn't robbery!

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Well... at least wait long enough for there to be bones.

Which, I guess, means never, in America. :/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

50 minutes ago, TGP said:

Question for:

It depends on the culture. Western European cultures don't seem to have much issue with their dead being disturbed after a few centuries (if the removal of bodies from Parisian graveyards is any indication), while Native American cultures and aboriginal Australian cultures have a huuuuuuge problem with it. 

So, in all seriousness, that's a question that need to be answered on a case by case basis.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

When everyone who knows someone who knew the person is dead.

41 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

It depends on the culture. Western European cultures don't seem to have much issue with their dead being disturbed after a few centuries (if the removal of bodies from Parisian graveyards is any indication), while Native American cultures and aboriginal Australian cultures have a huuuuuuge problem with it. 

So, in all seriousness, that's a question that need to be answered on a case by case basis.

The tribes currently living in those areas (at least in North America) are approximately as related to people buried 10K years ago as I am. More than that I will not discuss here, because I'm likely to become intemperate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

If someone actually finds Cleopatra and Antony that seems like archaeology. 

If DNA testing and archaeology techniques are the only way to determine if the remains are related to living persons then... archaeology

I wonder if Mark Antony has any living descendants, or did Octavian Hunt them down?

But needing a number? ...1000 years?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I think the definition depends on one's culture and one's connection to the culture being unearthed.

Like... people tend to have no problem unearthing the graves of other cultures. Their own, on the other hand, can be a bit grave-robby.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I will echo and agree with @redambrosia

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

It depends on the culture

And I will add there may also be a religion aspect to it.

I am no expert on religion, but I'll put forth the idea that the Western European world doesn't mind digging up their dead because Christianity allows for a body to be exhumed and then reburied through certain rituals/processes (and in the days of the old Church, if the grave was considered "heathen" it seems like an "oh well, carry on digging" attitude). I do not know if Islam, Judaism, Native American or other religions have such a "process." If it is done outside of that sanctity, one could say it probably falls into the "grave-robbing" category.

On the flip side, digging up ancient Egyptian tombs, or pre-Christian Romans... those religions aren't practiced anymore (or even truly understood) so digging them up is argued to fall into the "archaeology" term, or "in the pursuit of knowledge."

Now, in my experience with D&D... it's always grave-robbing. :poke: Loot the bodies!

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

I believe the difference between "archaeology" and "grave robbing" is in intent rather than time.  Archaeology treats the deceased and their panoply with painstaking reverence and study.  Grave robbing is just stealing from a tomb to get rich quick.

There is an awful lot of grave robbing in D&D campaigns, even by "good" characters.  The sanctity of the burial tomb loses out to "heroic" pragmatism.  (And then there are games like Exalted, where the PCs can rob burial tombs, but it's usually the tombs of the PCs' former lives.)

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Now, in my experience with D&D... it's always grave-robbing. :poke: Loot the bodies!

True.  In the real world, those within the tomb don't come back to life either. 

As for a "serious" answer to the question from me, it... Really does depend on the religion/spiritual beliefs, and the intent.  Is it an unknown site unearthed? Find out more about them, who they are, what happened, etc.. I lean more towards archeology, but... Can't find actual words. 

If you're going in to get their sneakers/gold/treasures, that's definitely robbing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Edited 50 minutes ago by ManvsMini

If we kill them, we get to take their stuff! 

This rule also works if they were dead before we got there :ik_oops: at least until the DM sends in nosy guards that care about "investigation" and "justice" and other nonesense. Pfft! :angry:

4 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

If you're going in to get their sneakers/gold/treasures, that's definitely robbing. 

In which case there is no real difference between most of archeology and grave robbing. 

But as Doug said, that topic gets awfully beekeepery. And they're Africanized bees too.

Edited by redambrosia
Separating the merge.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Yes, this is very much apiary territory, but I think Doug is getting things pretty much right.

And Nebulousmissy is correct about cultural differences.

My personal bugbear is the recent tendency to start treating many of the sunken ships from WW2 that are now accessible to divers almost as tourist sites. I'm about as atheist as it is possible to be, but I still think that these should be treated with more respect. 

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Question for:

Really depends on how many Experience Points you get for it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6