Marc

Empire of the Ghouls

58917066_10157172592649817_7713496788119846912_o.jpg

Enter a Realm of Unending Darkness

A ghastly, green fire flickers in a long-forgotten tomb. From within comes a thunderous crash as the lid of a stone sarcophagus is contemptuously flung aside, followed by the clank of armor and the dread sound of footsteps.

Something ancient and evil is coming to claim the night.

That ancient evil is none other than Empire of the Ghouls-the new 5th Edition Kickstarter from Kobold Press!

We're thrilled to announce that the funding campaign is up and running. Follow the link below to see the rich rewards that await backers and join their ranks!

Back EMPIRE OF THE GHOULS now!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/empire-of-the-ghouls-a-5th-edition-campaign-vs-the/comments

• Like 3

Gah! I’d seriously like to back this for a hard copy, but shipping to Australia will be over $70. :(

It’ really frustrating that there appears to be only 2 options for shipping from the US to Australia now - fast and expensive or really fast and super expensive.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Olaf the Stout said:

Gah! I’d seriously like to back this for a hard copy, but shipping to Australia will be over $70. :(

It’ really frustrating that there appears to be only 2 options for shipping from the US to Australia now - fast and expensive or really fast and super expensive.

Totally understood! High international shipping costs are equally frustrating to the kobolds, believe me!!

If there are ways to reduce shipping costs, I'm sure the kobolds will explore them. Unfortunately,  shipping costs are controlled by other entities and publishing companies are pretty much at their mercy, just like individuals :(

Funded in 4 hours! In less than a day, we have blown through a TON of stretch goals and the Kobolds could not be happier!!!

BIG thanks to the more than 600 (and growing!) backers!

If you're already a backer, please help spread the word on social media, game forums, in person to all your D&D friends etc.

If you're not a backer yet, please consider jumping in! Empire of Ghouls is going to be amazing and epic - you will not be disappointed! 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/empire-of-the-ghouls-a-5th-edition-campaign-vs-the/description

Edited by Marc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marc said:

Totally understood! High international shipping costs are equally frustrating to the kobolds, believe me!!

If there are ways to reduce shipping costs, I'm sure the kobolds will explore them. Unfortunately,  shipping costs are controlled by other entities and publishing companies are pretty much at their mercy, just like individuals :(

Oh I’m not blaming Kobold Press for the shipping costs. They can only pass on what the postal service is charging. I’ve dealt with several other Kickstarters that have had similarly high shipping costs. I’m just bemoaning the cost of shipping in general.

Unfortunately they have said that there aren’t enough backers from Australia to make it worth their while to have an Australian fulfilment partner, so it looks like my options are to eat a $70 shipping charge, or just get PDF only.

Thanks to the amazing community, we’ve already unlocked THIRTEEN stretch goals, surpassed 800 backers (and counting) AND passed $63,00 for EMPIRE OF THE GHOULS ... all in the FIRST 2 DAYS!

That's more playable races, more nefarious monsters, & more deadly lairs for your next underworld adventure!

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I love Kobold Press's work and happy to support my fellow Kirklandites. On the other hand, I already have a big backlog of adventures to run. May just have to wait and re-evaluate when this is in retail, since it'll be least a year before my group finishes Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

@Spodi - certainly understood!

If you decide to jump in though, we'd love to have you! :)

As of this moment, in its first 6 days alone, the Empire of Ghouls Kickstarter :

• has unlocked 17 stretch goals!
  • is approaching $76,000!
  • rapidly coming up on 1,000 backers!

If you haven't checked out the Empire of Ghouls Kickstarter yet, why not click the link above and see what the excitement is about!? :) 

...OK I backed Tome of Beasts and Creature Codex. I'm not even gonna try to make my will save here. /throws money at screen

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

If this were for PF1, I would be all over this.

The Auld Grump

Yup.

Getting really close to canceling all my PF subs. As soon as the PF1 stuff dries up, I'm out.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2019 at 7:54 PM, NomadZeke said:

...OK I backed Tome of Beasts and Creature Codex. I'm not even gonna try to make my will save here. /throws money at screen

Glad to have you on board!

There are still plenty of AWESOME surprises to come for backers :) 

23 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:
23 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

If this were for PF1, I would be all over this.

The Auld Grump

Yup.

Getting really close to canceling all my PF subs. As soon as the PF1 stuff dries up, I'm out.

Completely understood!  Believe me, I'm a HUGE Pathfinder 1E fan!

Heck, one of the things I'm most proud of professionally is the New Paths Compendium Expanded Hardcover:

https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/new-paths-compendium-hardcover-print-pdf/

The reality is though ... Pathfinder 1E is no longer a current system, and until 2E comes out is can be evaluated by all the third party RPG companies, you're going to see most (not all, but certainly most) of the the main third party RPG companies ceasing to produce new Pathfinder material for a while.

D&D 5E is a good system though, and let's face it, it's THE biggest RPG out there right now!

40 minutes ago, Marc said:

Completely understood!  Believe me, I'm a HUGE Pathfinder 1E fan!

Heck, one of the things I'm most proud of professionally is the New Paths Compendium Expanded Hardcover:

https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/new-paths-compendium-hardcover-print-pdf/

The reality is though ... Pathfinder 1E is no longer a current system, and until 2E comes out is can be evaluated by all the third party RPG companies, you're going to see most (not all, but certainly most) of the the main third party RPG companies ceasing to produce new Pathfinder material for a while.

D&D 5E is a good system though, and let's face it, it's THE biggest RPG out there right now!

D&D 5E is a fine system for people who want an experience from their RPGs that I'm completely uninterested in. PF2 tries to combine crunch with that kind of RP-centric storytelling and fails abjectly at both RP-centricity and decent gaming system.

I'm sure you're right that all the 3rd party companies that support PF will be going to PF2. I'm not sure that's a good choice, though, since that would leave people interested in the more mechanically intensive system with nowhere to spend their money. (I'm going to stay with PF1 and maybe alternate with Hero System, personally.)

Were I Paizo, I would absolutely keep a small dev crew on PF1 to keep those people as customers and support backlist sales. Frankly, this reminds me of Hero/RTG's attempt to switch to Champions: New Millennium, which failed miserably to either gain a new audience or hold the old one, to the point that Hero had to come out with Hero 5th.

• Like 1

The concensus in my game group, during the playtest, was that PF 2 was the worst of both worlds - and not at all fun to play.

It didn't help when Paizo was telling people 'We know it's not fun! It's a playtest! They're not supposed to be fun!!1'

Uhm... the PF 1  playtest was fun.

Really bad argument, guys.

Megan went so far as to give me an ultimatum to drop the playtest like a dead, plague ridden rat.

It took longer to create characters that were not competent at anything - it felt very, very much like 4e.

I think Paizo has shot themselves in the foot, and is now holding the gun to their head.

The Auld Grump

On 5/10/2019 at 11:35 AM, Doug Sundseth said:

D&D 5E is a fine system for people who want an experience from their RPGs that I'm completely uninterested in. PF2 tries to combine crunch with that kind of RP-centric storytelling and fails abjectly at both RP-centricity and decent gaming system.

I'm sure you're right that all the 3rd party companies that support PF will be going to PF2. I'm not sure that's a good choice, though, since that would leave people interested in the more mechanically intensive system with nowhere to spend their money. (I'm going to stay with PF1 and maybe alternate with Hero System, personally.)

Were I Paizo, I would absolutely keep a small dev crew on PF1 to keep those people as customers and support backlist sales. Frankly, this reminds me of Hero/RTG's attempt to switch to Champions: New Millennium, which failed miserably to either gain a new audience or hold the old one, to the point that Hero had to come out with Hero 5th.

And the publisher that picked up the license for the old Champions was bringing in more money than Hero.... (Pathfinder was not the first of its kind.)

One of the 3PP had a survey regarding whether to continue PF1 support in the wake of PF2 - I don't know how that turned out.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

D20PFSRD was the company that had the survey - and Rogue Genius currently has a Kickstarter for a PF1 monster template book. (They have reached the minimum - and I am going in as well.)

Congrats, Paizo! You have successfully split your customer base! :grr:

The Auld Grump

• Like 1