So I finally got my Bones 4 pledge today and Baba Yaga's hut won't stand. The legs are so short and deformed and it's super top heavy. Suggestions on fixing it? Anyone else have this problem? Should I use the hair dryer or boiling method?

3 minutes ago, lordnightwinter said:

So I finally got my Bones 4 pledge today and Baba Yaga's hut won't stand. The legs are so short and deformed and it's super top heavy. Suggestions on fixing it? Anyone else have this problem? Should I use the hair dryer or boiling method?

Boil. Reshape - get the center of mass of the hut over the legs and slightly to the back. Hold hut in very cold water. Tada!

I've done this with mine. It works. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Probably a better-than-average candidate for putting something heavy on/in the legs, too.

• Like 1

I'm planning on basing mine to steady it.  Mine stands but with a definite lean to the front and it doesn't take much to make it "faceplant".  Figuring a little air-dry clay with the feet pushed in the appropriate angle so it looks straight should do it.  

• Like 2

In case of future leaning (which I think is likely), I'm considering putting in a plank with a hinge on the bottom. Turn it into a tripod, with a foldable limb. 

• Like 1

If mine would stand on the left leg, it would be almost perfectly flat, but it tends to the right which results in it tipping forward.  I think if I can ject get that leg off and reattach it, it might be much more stable.

But, as a separate question, is there supposed to be a hole in the roof rafter that sticks out to hang the skeleton cage?  I mean, I can drill one, but I'm just not sure if I'm missing something.  There is a space under the floor where it looks like it would stick, but that doesn't match the pictures (although the tiny skeleton feet do help hold it upright).

Any idea what kind of glue was used to fuse this thing together?  (And, even better, whether there's some way to loosen/break it up without destroying the model?)  It looks like whoever assembled it just gobbed the stuff on -- I've got shiny splash well outside of the applicable surfaces.  My death-yacht is in umpteen different pieces, and the armillary-sphere is going to be quite the puzzle, but for some reason the hut is one huge conglomerate mass (with the sole exception of the dragging cage, which I think I'm going to use ELSEWHERE anyway).

Mine is pitching forward as well, and there's no way it would stand on its own without a very, very wide base.

I'm tempted to just saw off the legs and paint it up as a creepy little cottage.  It would've been nice if the roof could be lifted off to get at the interior better (in case, say, I want to make some actual gaps for the windows rather than leaving them opaque), or for that matter if I could do the assembly *myself* so as to get into all the nooks and crannies when painting.

I'm also wondering: Where does this type of plastic fit on the scale of hard-to-spongy in terms of whether it will hold up to spray base coat?  I've found that certain hard-plastic variants of Bonesium (Wyrmgear's wings, the plastic Blackstar Privateers, and the weapon sprues) can handle spray-on primer, but varieties of Bonesium with any noticeable degree of flex don't play well with that (i.e., the primer will be perpetually tacky, rather than drying properly).  For a while, it looked as if the darker grey cued harder plastic, but it feels a bit softer than, say, the dark grey plastic of the Blackstar Privateers, so I'm guessing spray-on primer would make a mess of things.

• Like 1

Ed did a bit on removing the legs on Reaper Live today. His solution was to heat the plastic in boiling water. Then, while the plastic was hot (use a heat-resistant glove to hold the hut), bend each leg over and cut with a scalpel. Reported to take "less than a minute". Ed was convinced that debonding was not going to work. The retail version of the hut is supposed to have the legs unattached at point of sale.

The default attachment point for the cage with the skeleton seems to have been moved to the underside of the hut.

I've been hearing that Bones Black seems to handle spray paints and primers better than regular Bones (multiple sources). But since regular Bones only has a bad interaction sporadically, the sample size might be too small to say for sure so far. It does seem to be less hydrophobic than regular Bones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The default attachment point for the cage with the skeleton seems to have been moved to the underside of the hut.

Yeah, there's a little peg-hole underneath the side-door "porch."  The trouble is, that means the cage is hanging down to where it should be banging into the ground every time the "hut" takes a step.  I know it's an odd word to use to describe anything involving a WALKING HUT, but I would describe the attachment point as "very impractical."  ;)

If I were going to actually attach it to the hut, I think I'd force a new attachment point somewhere *much higher*, pinning and adding some scrap as necessary.  However, I think I might just save it for my post-apocalyptic binge and have it as a grim feature hanging outside of a post-apoc settlement entrance, with a scratchy sign that reads something like, "This is what happens to RAIDERS."  It's just too dangly, given how solid and heavy the rest of the model is, and I can foresee it getting knocked off time and time again, so I might as well just head off that particular "fun."

Thanks for the reference to the "how-to" video -- I didn't know of its existence.  I'll be sure to check it out.  :)

• Like 4

Wasn't the hut supposed to be shipped unassembled? Or at least with the legs not attached? Mine arrived today and, unlike the rest of the Bones figure, is completely built. I'm almost certain it was said that it would be possible to use without the legs...

Edit: Yup. It was said so in the campaig:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-4-mr-bones-epic-adventure/posts/1966811

Edit #2: I just saw the video from the live stream where they tell you how to remove the legs by heating and cutting the pieces. I must say I'm a bit disappointed by this, as I wanted the hut mainly to use as a regular house. 

Edited by Dimitri Mazieres
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dimitri Mazieres said:

Thanks for finding the reference.  I was wondering whether I'd just imagined it, or it was wishful thinking, or something.

Speaking of Baba Yaga and the chicken shack, they are showing the scooby doo episode with baba yaga right now on Boomerang:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With mine, if the feet are flat on the ground, the front face of the building is at about a 45 degree angle.

It isn't even remotely close to being able to stand alone without faceplanting - I have my doubts that the boiling water routine will provide enough of a change, or a long lasting enough change, but guess I'll give it a go.