Pingo

Pingo has started a video series on paint and painting / art and arting

Well, I've gone and done it. I got a YouTube channel and have started making a series of videos on matters of paint and painting.

Okay, I say "series of videos" all grandly, but at the moment it's one video and a planned syllabus. But I have more planned!

This is pretty much my first video ever. I was helped a great deal by my family members who have more experience in this.

The first video is a paint comparison, looking at one of the new Liquitex Acrylic Gouache paints (Quinacridone Magenta, PR122) and considering its suitability for miniatures painting.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwonRqv0Xgk

Edited by Pingo
thread title change - it's more than just paint
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Listening to your video... You may want to slow your speech down a bit...  might cut back on the coffee maybe.  :poke:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, robinh said:

Listening to your video... You may want to slow your speech down a bit...  might cut back on the coffee maybe.  :poke:

I just listened to it. :winkthumbs:

People often commented that Red (from Overly Sarcastic Productions) talks very fast, and your manner of speech is nearly identical to hers! It's... it's genetic? ::o:Thank goodness for the subtitles. [P.S. If you slow down the video to 0.75x speed, it's easier to follow, but you sound drunk. :upside:]

For some other constructive criticism, the text you add is too large and shows up for too brief a period. I'm used to adding and reading subtitles to everything I watch, but these were all over the place as my eyes kept zipping from one place on the screen to the other. Being hand written also makes it slightly more difficult to process quickly.

As for the rest. Magenta FTW! "Quinacridone" is quite a word.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Thanks 1

Watched it the other day. Good video, good information. It's... apparent... where Red gets it*. I would definitely like to see more of this!

Do you have a video on your syllabus about "impossible" color mixes, like purple+green=blue?  That could be fun, either on its own or as part of a larger video about mixing.

*"It" in this case being vocal rate, tone and inflection. Your voices are not the same, but it's clear they are related.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic start! I consider myself an analytical left-side brain personality, so I really enjoyed the science, details and comparison! Style reminds me very much like GGP Grey. Like robinh said, perhaps slow down by about 20-25% to give viewers time to catch up a bit. Otherwise, the amount of information to pacing is very good. Not too much to be overwhelming, but not too little as to leave a bunch of unanswered questions. Looking forward to seeing more!

• Thanks 1

Ironically, and speaking as someone who usually watches youtube on 1.25 speed, I thought your pacing was perfect.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lots of good information, sound and video were good, but yes, take a breath and slow down.  ;-)  Looking forward to the next one.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2019 at 10:31 AM, Sanael said:

Watched it the other day. Good video, good information. It's... apparent... where Red gets it*. I would definitely like to see more of this!

Do you have a video on your syllabus about "impossible" color mixes, like purple+green=blue?  That could be fun, either on its own or as part of a larger video about mixing.

*"It" in this case being vocal rate, tone and inflection. Your voices are not the same, but it's clear they are related.

Yes! I’ve even filmed* some footage** of mixing it up on a palette. I’m doing one on mixed green first, though.

I have a syllabus ... It’s more than I thought it was going to be. I hope to be alternating between paint reviews, surprising color mixes, techniques for tricky subjects, ways of seeing, and studio practices. Maybe with some art history in the mix if it works out.

*Now there’s an obsolete term

**Extra double plus so for that one

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Pingo said:

Yes! I’ve even filmed* some footage** of mixing it up on a palette. I’m doing one on mixed green first, though.

I have a syllabus ... It’s more than I thought it was going to be. I hope to be alternating between paint reviews, surprising color mixes, techniques for tricky subjects, ways of seeing, and studio practices. Maybe with some art history in the mix if it works out.

*Now there’s an obsolete term

**Extra double plus so for that one

Sounds awesome, I can't wait. Mixing colors has always been problematic for me.

• Like 2

The day I start recording the second script would be the day the apartment building across the street starts taking out its windows with an angle grinder.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

I just watched your video, and I liked it. I agree with much of the pointers that have already been mentioned, yet I'd still like to offer/reinforce some notes if I may? All comments are meant respectfully and constructively.

General things I always look for and appreciate in videos:

1. We've never met (maybe one day at a con perhaps) but I found your voice pleasant - thank you!
  2. Your sound quality is excellent. By that I mean you didn't have issues where "p", "s" and other letters came off harsh on your microphone. Your voice wasn't too soft or too loud. Again, thank you.
  3. You wore gloves when your hands were shown on the screen, but for me I cringe every time someone does a tutorial where they are zoomed in on their hands and they have (a) untrimmed nails or (b) dirt caked under the nails. So thank you yet again for this.

Specific notes on presentation:

1. Yep you could slow down on your talking speed a bit, as mentioned. As we have never met, I have no clue if that is just your normal speed or not. Only advice I can say is just talk like you are having a regular conversation with someone, even if you have a script in front of you.
  2. It's a LOT of information for a 7ish minute video. I'm going to have to rewatch it at least twice more to make sure I got it all. You might want to display a brief outline at the beginning of the main points you are covering in the video, i.e. what I took away from this was the topic was pigments.
  3. Sometimes the text that describes terms you mention comes and goes too quickly (ex. undertone, masstone, etc). Might want to extend the air time those get, or verbally say what they are, especially since you state this is the criteria you are testing with the paints. Though that may also depend on who you intend to be your audience (beginner/intermediate/advanced painters).

I look forward to your next video!

-MvM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1