Sign in to follow this  
Valthorn_Illian

Night Setting

Not that I've done so, but I would think that mostly blacks and darks, but use a light source or OSL to pick out some highlights, maybe?

For my OSL Mousling I stepped my colors down from what I usually use. So my shadows were pure black, my normal shadow tone became my mid tone, and my mid tone became my highlight. I also mixed a bit of blue grey, I think, to my mid tone for an extreme highlight to simulate moon light. I also kept my mid tone and highlight areas small to keep everything mostly dark. For basing I mixed everything with a little bit of black or the blue grey to desaturate it and keep it dark.

A42F724F-42EB-4CB9-8EF8-BAD7A8A43330.thumb.jpeg.a371b949b60d2f87e2ee59b670ea4fe2.jpeg2581126E-E00C-4DBB-B59E-BE77686F445E.thumb.jpeg.d665cef630a94636bce57d341628b896.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Definitely using OSL.

Night seems to work well with deep muted blues/blue-grey.  Which it does because night is really a super-deep blue.  Black is reserved for total absence of light (like cave tours when they turn the lights out).  The light from the moon is a blue-ish light. 

As SGHawkins09 shows, muted colors surrounding the light source.

Victoria Lamb's "Fiery Angel" and an diorama with a soldier being stalked by an alien (no name, but do a search for Victoria Lamb OSL and you'll find it) are excellent examples, and are two opposite color schemes.  One is hot, the other is cold.  In both instances, the darkness is accentuated by the OSL.

• Like 1

You have to have some sort of light source and still highlight the mini, you just choose how much highlighting you want.  I've recently been experimenting with light sources.  Here are a few examples:

nightmare.thumb.jpg.02cd9cea33d29c2e71748cd0a3a10f44.jpg

In this one, the darkness still has highlighting, but is done more monochrome

tts1.jpg.561e7742573be99a66ad1e7c8348ff89.jpgtts2.jpg.af0c3bafbae24ff57d35b773a0b13ab8.jpg

Here the light source is very bright and provides some color information, but otherwise the highlighting is done in sepia. Notice that even though the backside is dark, there is still highlighting. You can see the details and volumes.

sk2.jpg.4cd971e4b04059d99a49a9902ae290ca.jpgSK1.jpg.8f2aa31c6ea516bdbe2b80a2ab157cac.jpg

Same here, only with two different colors of light. The front is lit by a warm light, the back more by moonlight or whatever they use in Hollywood to represent moonlight.

Contrasting color is one way to achieve the effect of darkness.  Using color in only a "lit" area is another. The risk with trying to paint "darkness" is that you lose information about the scene.

bailey03.thumb.jpg.61db30c2e65099b9ae410a83896d5b1d.jpg

This is an example from Bailey03 on CMON.  I always liked the way it feels dark, but if you look at it with color removed:

640289678_bailey03(2).thumb.jpg.076d79a6f2134c10fed1b0268f811b6f.jpg

...you can see how some areas on the "night" are still very light.

I guess the trick is to use enough highlighting we can see the forms, but not so much that it feels too light.  This is probably easiest done using color contrast. Use cool colors as they tend to recede and make us feel cold or make us think of night.  Teals, blues, desaturated purples are good for this.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2