Painting this made me angry  ;)

1243364871_20190526_0809152.thumb.jpg.ee7d59a3b117754d69f4f4d8926c88e5.jpg

Gotta fix his left eye though...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

Calling these done. Sorry, phone is not capturing color well.

Looks like the white background is causing the photo to think there's more light than there really is and underexposing the miniatures. If you can access exposure compensation, (some phone camera apps have this) dial in about a +1.5 exposure. If not, you can either increase the exposure in post or use a darker background (gray works well).

I played with the image a bit, and it looks like the color temperature is off (blue cast), which might be caused by the camera being set for "indoor" (incandescent) light while the minis are illuminated with a daylight-balanced light. (There are other scenarios where this can happen as well, but that's the one that comes to mind.)

And finally, the dynamic range between the darker shadows and the background looks to be a bit beyond what the camera can reliably capture. This can be ameliorated (again) by using a background that isn't so white. It might also be caused by there not being enough light, because digital image amplification (high ISO) is often the first resort of automatic camera modes and it can kill dynamic range.

TL;DR: Gray background and significantly more light should help. You might need to remove a color cast in post.

If it would be useful, I can post a basic edit of the photo.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

TL;DR: Gray background and significantly more light should help. You might need to remove a color cast in post.

Yeah, I thought it might be something like that. It was late and I grabbed the nearest piece of paper for the photo. Will get some better pics in the light box, soon. 

• Like 3

Starting conditions:

120DEDE1-D540-46B5-82C7-87AB860C7F2A.thumb.jpeg.38ea3a57cebd8a4bdb01eb0cabd2b50b.jpeg

The Shelf of Shame and The Shelf of Chaos

• Like 6

I got some sorting done:

462B9861-A15C-4C35-9594-3A576AA5A120.thumb.jpeg.30aa1d89ed346acc3b405dcfc5cd672e.jpeg

The paintless and neglected have mustered on the lower shelf while anyone with any sort of paint job has been promoted to the upper shelf. (But there are some holdouts on the far right.)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Wow you all are accomplishing more than I am. I don't even have my skeletons fully basecoated yet, though I do have the bone effect drybrush portion done on them all. Hopefully I pick up the pace.

Love seeing what you all are accomplishing!

• Like 4

I got one of the demons done and the naga close to finished.  Going to look them over and do touch-ups tomorrow. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Wow you all are accomplishing more than I am.

There is always tomorrow?

(All I really did was some organizing.)

I found one metal Orc that was missing his head, tried cleaning him a bit, and glued another head on.

I tried making a base for a Sci-Fi figure. That worked out poorly. 

I’m just not feeling it. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

There are 24+ hours remaining in the paint challenge. :ph34r:

• Like 4

I went morel hunting today and it left me exhausted, but I did manage to finish up a few foxes

IMG_20190526_233612192-700x700.jpg.9eb9e8c1a9b4b7abaf75301072fb308d.jpg

• Like 7

I managed to put some paint time in. Two hours or so to accomplish four lizardfolk:

IMG_20190527_012301706_HDR.thumb.jpg.100d5a3c60c57d9ff660f9c4843c3985.jpg

Certainly not great quality, but my goal was "complete in time for my game at noon tomorrow, to a higher standard than the old D&D Miniatures prepaints." I feel comfortable with saying I achieved that.

IMG_20190527_012230201_HDR.thumb.jpg.4426ce7bb0d7eae25ffc89ddeb27c860.jpg

@Inarah, are you keeping tabs on how many figures the forum as a whole paints for these challenges? (I suppose based on what is posted specifically to this thread)

It would be kinda fun to have those stats.

Edited by Sanael
Noticed a bad autocorrect
  • Like 9

Apropos of my prior post, I think I count 33 completed minis in this thread.

The only reason I think this could be fun to know is so, year over year, we can try collectively to paint more during these binges.

And then, in 2037, some of us can say things like, "ooohhhh, we all managed 214 minis this year. La Dee da! I was around in '23, when ten of us decided we were going to paint 5 Blood Bowl teams, each! It came all the way down to the wire, but at 11:57 Monday night, the last painter posted their last team! Hooooo, we were all on Hangouts, Buglips was drinking paint water, it was a party! Nearly 800 minis that year!"

...I already act like an "in-my-day" curmudgeon, so apparently now I want to manufacture more reasons for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I count 35, possibly 36 (I don't know what stage Kangaroorex's critter is in) and that is including the 3 terrain pieces (2 of mine and one by evilhalfling).  Jay hasn't posted everything he has finished, but I have seen it. 

Keep 'em coming!  Almost 12 hours left...

Edit: 

2018: no challenge

2017:  there was a challenge, but no finished figures were reported

2016:  ~180 completed figures

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 4