I got my Bones 4 shipment a couple days ago, and I just want to say that I'm impressed with them.  I think Reaper must have adjusted whatever formula they use, because the more recent Bones minis hold detail a lot better than they used to.

Good job, Reaper.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, wdmartin said:

I got my Bones 4 shipment a couple days ago, and I just want to say that I'm impressed with them.  I think Reaper must have adjusted whatever formula they use, because the more recent Bones minis hold detail a lot better than they used to.

Good job, Reaper.

Reaper announced a few months ago that all of the Bones 4 expansions, and several of the addons, would be cast in a new Bones Black grey plastic that is more rigid and hold details better than the original Bones plastic that is available in white or a different shade of grey.

Being more rigid does mean The Bones Black plastic can be somewhat more brittle and harder to cut through as it’s not as pliable.

Note that post Bones 4 kickstarter Bones Black minis will be a darker grey than the standard Bones line.

Right now the colour looks the same for both plastics from the kickstarter.

Also note that the monthly freebies that Reaper has been giving out on qualifying orders through their online store have been in the new Bones Black plastic.

• Like 4

The figures I was putting together last night were a PITA.  Great detail, oh yes. Still just as rubbery and bendy, and stuff was flexing as I was trying to get it to hold in place for the glue to set.  I'm using Bones glue and it wasn't adhering.  Love the pins and sockets for assembly.... if arms and legs would not just pop off  3 minutes after I thought the glue had set.  (And yes, everything was washed and dried before hand). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

The figures I was putting together last night were a PITA.  Great detail, oh yes. Still just as rubbery and bendy, and stuff was flexing as I was trying to get it to hold in place for the glue to set.  I'm using Bones glue and it wasn't adhering.  Love the pins and sockets for assembly.... if arms and legs would not just pop off  3 minutes after I thought the glue had set.  (And yes, everything was washed and dried before hand). 

The Bones Super Glue is rather old, and mine hasn't been working well either. 

• Like 1

CA glue should be used within a few months from the first time it was uncapped. 

And if you use it often, that period is even shorter. 

• Like 1

Just opened it a few weeks ago.  I used it to base half a dozen Bones1 skeletons, and it's been working on metal. And of course, fingers. 

• Like 2

Am I the only on who finds that the new material is a huge pain for removing mold lines? It is right between the softer old bones material and the hard plastic, of say GW. With the soft bones plastic, cutting off the mold lines was relatively easy, though filing (for me) just caused the rubbery mold line to fray and make a rough mess. With the harder plastic, you can file or scrape off the lines with a knife. With this in between mix, I find it much harder to cut the lines, but still not rigid enough to file or scrape.

Any suggestions? Thanks

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AuralEntropy said:

Am I the only on who finds that the new material is a huge pain for removing mold lines? It is right between the softer old bones material and the hard plastic, of say GW. With the soft bones plastic, cutting off the mold lines was relatively easy, though filing (for me) just caused the rubbery mold line to fray and make a rough mess. With the harder plastic, you can file or scrape off the lines with a knife. With this in between mix, I find it much harder to cut the lines, but still not rigid enough to file or scrape.

Any suggestions? Thanks

I've had a lot of luck using one of these. It's a 3 sided seam scraper, not perfect but has done a better job than the knives I had been using. 

20190515_105657.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, I will try out one of these tools.

Edit: Trying to locate one of these, seems the manufacturer, Model Craft, is out of stock, and they said nobody carries them in my area. Also not on my other go to, Amazon. Seems to be a lot of sellers in the UK, but shipping might be too much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by AuralEntropy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I've had a lot of luck using one of these. It's a 3 sided seam scraper, not perfect but has done a better job than the knives I had been using. 

20190515_105657.png

This is a fantastic tool, and I can't thank @knarthex enough for the recommendation!

• Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 1:16 PM, AuralEntropy said:

[...] and they said nobody carries them in my area.

Where's your area?

I bought mine online from Micro-Mark (search there for "seam scraper") but I don't know if they ship outside the US.  (Be careful!  Micro-Mark is a dangerous site for one's wallet.)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Where's your area?

I bought mine online from Micro-Mark (search there for "seam scraper") but I don't know if they ship outside the US.  (Be careful!  Micro-Mark is a dangerous site for one's wallet.)

They will, just need to pay attention to what they won't (or can't due to agreements) ship. 

Pricing depends on where you are, and what's in the box. 

• Like 1