I was excited to get the Stygian Barge Add-On from the recent Bones 4 Kickstarter, and I was not disappointed in the model when it arrived.  It is a truly beautiful and big ship.    However, I didn't necessarily want to use the barge in all its Stygian glory; it looked more like a Necromancer's yacht than anything else.  I wanted more of a plain everyday working barge.  I figured a plain barge would have much more game use than one specifically decked out in death-related motifs.  So, the first thing I set about doing was looking over the pieces to see just what removing all the skulls, etc. would involve.  With a little effort it seems like it just might work.

The main conversions were to lay a wood deck over the bone-strewn central deck, remove the decorative skeletons on the awning posts, and the vertebrate from the main roof beam.  I also discarded the skeletal mermaid figurehead, and trimmed off most of the other decorative skulls.

For the full conversion article, please see my blog: De-Necro-ing the Stygian Barge

fullsizeoutput_47e3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_47f2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_47fb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4831.jpeg

• Like 22

I don't know what I think of this, lol xD that undead mermaid was one of the pretties of the ship, so cutting that off hurt me just reading it.

The process of the transformation seems to be going well though, I'm sure it'll look like a good and usefull barge.

What will you put in place of the undead mermaid?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Venun said:

I don't know what I think of this, lol xD that undead mermaid was one of the pretties of the ship, so cutting that off hurt me just reading it.

The process of the transformation seems to be going well though, I'm sure it'll look like a good and usefull barge.

What will you put in place of the undead mermaid?

You'll be happy to know I didn't have to cut off the mermaid as it comes as a separate piece, (pieces actually.)  So, I simply didn't assemble it and glue it on.  I have all the parts safely stored in a ziplock bag.  I'm actually considering using at as a stand-alone monster with its own base... perhaps posed sitting on a rock.  

Since it was a separate piece intended to be glued on, I didn't have to do a lot to cover up where it would have gone.  I made a spar from a bamboo skewer for the topmost hole, and inserted a small nail in a coil of rope that sat behind the mermaid. There is one other small slot that sits down below the curve of the hull, so I may fill that with greenstuff or just leave it, as it's really only visible when you get down eye level with the boat.   Other than that the front was good to go.

fullsizeoutput_482f.jpeg

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Cool!

Love the idea!

Thanks, Glitterwolf!

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 11

Nice plan! Good to hear you didn't have to scrape it off :) Looks good, nice & simple, good for a regular barge.

• Like 1

The undead mermaid kinda bothers me, and I'm keeping it necro - the mermaid's fish half is intact, but not the human half. I would have hoped to see a skeletal mermaid bottom half too! The mismatch is weird. 

The de-necroing is a neato project! 

• Like 8

I thought the bowsprit looked like a toothpick. Knowing it is a skewer helps understand the scale. 

That said: it looks remarkably puny compared to the stump of the mainmast. Were it me I would be considering ways to sleeve something thicker over it. 

The decking is looking good. 

A rig option that might be a really useful idea (depending on your sail plans, if any) would involve building a stem post instead:

cy_fstm_ftng_2_lg.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

The undead mermaid kinda bothers me, and I'm keeping it necro - the mermaid's fish half is intact, but not the human half. I would have hoped to see a skeletal mermaid bottom half too! The mismatch is weird. 

The de-necroing is a neato project! 

Yes, I too am not a big fan of the disjointed nature of the dead top half and full bottom half.   I'm thinking a drill and a hobby knife could at least zombify it a bit. :)  

20 minutes ago, TGP said:

I thought the bowsprit looked like a toothpick. Knowing it is a skewer helps understand the scale. 

That said: it looks remarkably puny compared to the stump of the mainmast. Were it me I would be considering ways to sleeve something thicker over it. 

The decking is looking good. 

A rig option that might be a really useful idea (depending on your sail plans, if any) would involve building a stem post instead:

cy_fstm_ftng_2_lg.jpg

Thanks for the input TGP!   Yes, the bowsprit is bit diminutive, but that was done intentionally for game play and storage issues.  I really didn't want something true to scale sticking way out in front of the boat.  (I already injured myself once on the skewer...

I really like the idea of a stempost!  I have no sail plans; I'm leaving the mast as a stump (again for game play reasons), but the more vertical configuration of the stempost seems ideal to the more horizontal bowsprit.  And it seems like it would be a relatively easy addition which also makes it a win in my book. :)

• Like 7

What a fantastic idea! I wish the thought had occurred to me as I would have gotten 2 more to use along the same lines and would have upped my pledge.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Adrift said:

What a fantastic idea! I wish the thought had occurred to me as I would have gotten 2 more to use along the same lines and would have upped my pledge.

Thank you!  

Well, there's always retail. :) 

2 hours ago, Chris Palmer said:

Thank you!  

Well, there's always retail. :) 

:lol: 

I feel like the full retail price tag will prohibit that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adrift said:

:lol: 

I feel like the full retail price tag will prohibit that...

I hear you on that one.  $$ :blink:

• Like 1

I agree with Adrift; this is an excellent idea. Depending on the price point, I may have to 'borrow' this idea from you.

• Thanks 1