Umber Hulk (Wizkids)

Othikent

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not understanding the sculpt was not supposed to be so hunched over with his mandibles basically touching the ground. I have seen how others like yourself have somehow fixed that issue and will be forever jealous.  One of the nicest paint jobs I have seen so far too!

Thank you! Glad you enjoy my work!

And yes the mini came quite hunched over out of the package. For me the mandibles actually came past where the base was. But it's an easy enough fix. You just need two containers of water, one hot (near boiling) and another cold (Preferably ice water) just partially submerg the mini in the hot water for a few seconds to soften the plastic then pull it out bend it into the right position. And dunk it in the cold water to set it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. It was a fun project.

As for my techniques. Well the mushrooms are just a little bit of green stuff I sculpted up. I did each in two parts. I rolled out the stems gave then a bit of a curve. The tops I started by making a tear drop shape then pressed a sculpting tool into the fat end to widen it out. Then a dab of superglue fastened the stem and tops together. Hope that helps.

As for the drool. It's mostly clear styrene rod. I took a candle used the flame to soften one end of the rod and then used a small pliers to stretch it out. If you let go before it cools it will curl up and make some interesting shapes. I did this a bunch a while ago and have a small container of them. From there it's a bit of a puzzle, you just have to find the right ones cut them down and glue them where they look good. I then blended them together with many coats of gloss varnish. Hope that helps at all. I've also see people use hot glue for drool effects, but I haven't tried that. 

• Thanks 1

thanks, been playing with a version of green stuff from P3, love it. Will try the styrene rod, if i'm not mistaken it was a common plastic at one time, used in things like clear plastic drawers, ones for storing small bits and bobs.   it's available now as raw stock,  Color: Semi-Clear Off-White 

1/8 inch diameter rods at 5 bucks a foot,

a little pricey, if there is a place you get it for less, let us know

I get my styrene from model shops, you can get it online as well. The clear stuff is from a company called Plastruct I got a package of 30 rods 1/8"/ 3.2mm. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it but it goes for around $10-12 a package.

Edited by Othikent
  • Thanks 1