Jump to content

Bones Invisible Adventurers


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, KruleBear said:

Cool. I like that you “painted” them with the tints rather than just adding contrast to the basic clear plastic color. It gives the impression of the character transitioning to invisible. 

 

Makes them easier to see on camera as well (for when somebody is attending a game in hangouts).

 

Thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, vhaidra said:

This translucent sculpts are pretty cool and you did a good job here. By the way good photos and light settings for the photos. Very intresting. I guess my favorite is the first one, the purple one.

 

Thank you.

 

For lighting, I used a light behind and about 20cm/8in behind the figure, a light to camera right, maybe 8cm/3in away and a bit in front (to show the opaques - this one is just out of frame of the photo), and a piece of black craft foam just below the rear light for the background. With a carefully chosen camera angle and a long-ish lens to reduce the field of view, the lights were all out of sight in the final photos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By Laoke
      I've been thinking about doing this for awhile - painting up one of the clear "invisible" adventurers in Bones III as a translucent figure.  The obvious choice was 77449 - Invisible Rogue, as my delightful wife painted the matching 77035 - Visible Deladrin some time ago.
       
      I painted the figure using a thinned Tamiya Clear Blue X-23 (thinned with Tamiya Thinner X-20).  This produced a very light blue tint to the figure while at the same time introducing some definition.  I also hit points where I wanted extra definition, mainly the face and weapon transition points, with unthinned Tamiya Clear Blue.

      The broccoli is basically Reaper Peacock Green worked up through Reaper Clear Green to Reaper Clear Yellow.  The bottom of the base has been painted Reaper Pure Black.
       
      Important Note:  Tamiya Clear paints are significantly different from Reaper Clear Paints.  Tamiya Clear are translucent, Reaper Clear are not. 
       

       

       
        Issues - there's a big one in that because of the black I painted the bottom of the base, the boots of the translucent figure are significantly darker than the rest of the figure.  It almost reads right, but I'd have been better off doing the first coat on the bottom a green or maybe a white so they looked like they were clear going onto the grass of the base.  It's something I'll consider later, although could largely be ignored if you rebased the figure.  But on the whole I think this came out pretty good, accidental scimitar that we never noticed originally on Deladrin and all.
       
        There's one additional issue that I didn't spot till after I posted this - a Virtual Chocolate Fish™ to anyone who can tell the class what that very delibrate mistake was for our educational porpoises.
    • By Dr_Automaton
      My first transparent mini:

       

       
      I wanted to try painting one of the new invisible heroes from Bones III the other day.  This is super simple paint job where I first painted the base, then masked it with a solid coat of Brown Liner for opacity.  After that, I quickly painted the wizard with a single coat of a mixture of:
      3 drops RMS Gloss Sealer 2 drops RMS Flow Improver 1 drop RMS Wash Medium 1 drop Liquitex Phthalo Blue  
      After waiting a day (I was worried the ink might leach out of the sealer or something if I tried to work with it too soon), I painted the exterior of the base with Rainy Gray, followed by a coat of Brown Liner magic wash.  To finish, I sealed the entire figure with a coat of Gloss Sealer, followed by a second coat of Gloss on the wizard and a coat of Brush-on Sealer on the base.
       
      The result was a very blue, almost candy-like mini.  I'm happy with the result, but I'm thinking of pushing back the ink next time by at least half to get a lighter tint.  The wash went on pretty well, but I might also try increasing the viscosity just a bit by upping the ratio of Gloss Sealer.
       
      Overall, a fun and easy paint job.
×
×
  • Create New...