Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

Youtube reaction videos

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I can kvetch for days about loads of things

Five points to @Cyradis for use of the word "kvetch".

Sorry, nothing else to add but that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TGP said:

It’s not that he’s being nothing but negative...the way I read it...he’s cheerfully decided to be a grumpy ole beagle for the last little while.  ::P:

...it’s quite nuanced. :upside:

Thank you for this analysis, if I had longer arms I'd give you a wonderful knee rub

2 hours ago, Sanael said:

So...Thank you, Beagle, for bringing such a spirited and sincerely insightful topic to these benighted forums? :rolleyes:

I live to serve. If you're happy @Sanael , then I'm happy

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Beagle said:

I absolutely refute this, I'm a paragon of abject misery and only ever post on this forum after careful consideration of every word. The only thing that escapes absolute seriousness is my grammar. ::):

*** Bad Dog!***

No treat for you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Beagle said:

I live to serve. If you're happy @Sanael , then I'm happy

Well, thanks. I AM happy, now you mention it.

5 minutes ago, Beagle said:

I absolutely refute this, I'm a paragon of abject misery and only ever post on this forum after careful consideration of every word.

But... But I'm happy. And you said, if I'm happy, then YOU'RE happy. How can you be happy and abjectly miserable?

I...I feel a paradox-induced forum crash may be imminent. Someone ask Kit if he's set up to handle this sort of thing?

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I disagree categorically.

It is precisely harmless fun for the people who enjoy the activity. And while the connections are a bit one-sided, much of the point of these videos is a shared experience, which is both connective and humanizing. That the videos don't serve that purpose for me is entirely beside the point.

I go all, "Kids these days", fairly often, because it's traditional. (You can see similar sentiments in graffiti in Pompeii.) "Get off my lawn" can be fun. But I try really hard neither to take myself too seriously nor to give the impression that I'm being serious. (I'm sure that I fail at the latter at times, but comedy is hard.)

If I thought @Beagle were taking himself seriously in his comments above or if I thought that those comments were causing any active harm, my response would be very different. But as it is, they're no more harmful than comments claiming that soccer* or cricket are worth watching or playing, tea is worth drinking, or mathematics is plural.

* Association Football. "Soccer" is originally a British abbreviation, but Americans paid attention to the Brits too soon and failed to get the memo that the term had become declassé. Too bad; so sad. I blame the Royal Mail. In future, I'll make sure to ignore the British longer. :rolleyes:

This is an excellent post in a 'I'm a nice curmudgeon' sort of way.

Ignoring the British is like ignoring a good bacon sandwich (and when I say bacon I mean proper British bacon, not that colonial ham stuff), ultimately you'd be having a lot more fun if you didn't!

I suppose the thing with these reaction videos is the bandwagon aspect of them, and the amateur dramatics part. So on the one hand you might have a Youtuber who is a Game of Thrones fan who wants to discuss the show and interact with the viewers. On the other hand there are plenty of drama school types who just want to hop on the bandwagon and over-act their way through whatever video they're posting.

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 4

I appreciate the irony of this being a reaction thread complaining about reaction videos. Maybe you should start a youtube channel, Beagle? ::P:

I'm not going to quote anyone here because I don't want anyone to think that what I'm going to say next is directly against them. It is my general thoughts and opinion on the matter after skimming through this topic to see general points being made. As always, nothing I'm about to say is meant to be a personal accusation or attack of any sort.

I am permanently of two minds on the subject of just letting people enjoy things tbh. Although, that shouldn't be surprising at all since context does matter, after all. I think that people should feel perfectly free to enjoy things without feeling like they have to change their minds about liking it. This is the very thing that the term "guilty pleasure" exists to describe. I would think that most people who watch reaction videos would describe the genre as a guilty pleasure. Maybe less so when it comes to videos that are technically reaction videos, but are more just a vehicle for insightful commentary. 

On the other hand, I don't agree with most blanket statements, especially when they shut down any sort of criticism. Criticism is a good thing, so long as it's not simply used as a baseless attack on someone. Constructive criticism is absolutely vital when it comes to things that you're seeking to improve. I don't think that someone criticizing a genre of videos that they don't care for is a baseless attack, it's an opinion. Opinions are not facts, they're subjective, and healthy to express. I don't understand the kneejerk reaction to suppress someone from expressing an opinion that one doesn't agree with. If you have a differing opinion, by all means, express it. Take your chance to argue your own point of view. However, "SHHH" is simply not an argument. If you can't hear criticism on something that you like, then it sounds to me like you either know that you're easily swayed by the thoughts of others and fear having your opinion changed, or you know that the thing that you don't want criticized is actually not very good and either don't understand or don't want to admit that simply liking a thing doesn't automatically make it good.

As far as the reaction genre of videos, my personal opinion can vary all the way down to the individual content creator. Some of them are, IMO, pretty trash. I suspect that Beagle's experience has mostly been with the trash end of it. There are, again IMO, content creators who are not solely seeking the latest trend or trying to skirt copyright laws, and rather do make transformative fair use utilization of other materials in their reaction videos. But if you simply don't care for the genre, then even the quality side of it won't be of any interest to you. 

As far as the video game community both video and streaming-wise, I think that certainly if it's not for you, it's just not for you, but I do think that the opinion that it's just all about getting likes and ad revenue is poorly misguided. Are there content creators who are just all about the money? Absolutely. But what if I told you that here at my job, the only reason that I do it is for the money? The only reason that most people work is for the money. If your problem is that you don't think it's noble for them to accept money for making videos for other people's entertainment, then I've got some bad news for you about the entirety of the arts world. Just because someone's talent is playing video games or, moreover, being entertaining while playing video games, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to monetize it. But also, just because someone is asking their viewers to like/comment/subscribe, etc. doesn't mean that money is all they care about. They have to ask people to do those things because people forget and the only way to keep their channel visible in the vast sea that is youtube, is to get as much viewer interaction as possible or else the algorithm will bury them. 

If video game videos aren't your thing, cool, no problem, don't watch them. But allow me to tell you at least some of the reasons why people do watch them.

1. They can't play the game themselves. Sometimes this is a financial constraint - they can't afford the game or the console/computer that the game is on. Sometimes it's an ability thing. For instance, I LOVE the Dark Souls games. I love the aesthetic of them, I love the detail of the lore behind them, I love the stories... but I absolutely cannot play those games. They're purposefully extremely difficult and frustrating and I am not good enough at video games and too prone to becoming easily frustrated to the point that I don't have any fun. But I love to watch someone else play those games so that I can enjoy them without feeling the personal frustration.

2. They don't trust the video game industry anymore (with good reason, IMO) to give them quality games and are using these videos as a review that they can see for themselves.

3. For the same reason that people enjoy podcasts, talk radio, talk shows, go to comedy shows, attend lectures, etc. Some content creators focus on being funny, some of them are giving instructional commentary, and others just talk. There's one let's player that I watch from time to time who was a geologist (but now makes videos/streams for a living) and he tells a lot of stories. He plays mostly indie games and some of the games I honestly find very boring, but he's such an interesting person and has such a unique perspective that I like to just listen to him talk.

4. Some people either don't have friends or at least don't have friends who share the same interests as them and watching someone whose personality they enjoy makes them feel less alone.

5. Because they love a game or games in general so much that they like immersing themselves in it further. A lot of people who watch video game videos do, in fact, play the games themselves, but they also enjoy seeing someone else's experience - seeing their reaction - to a game that they've enjoyed. I don't think doing so is any different from having a conversation with someone about the game or posting on a forum about it.

Anyway, I understand if it's not your thing, but I do think that it's pretty narrow-minded to outright dismiss any video genre or youtube itself in general, when you're talking about a platform that has over 20 million different channels with hundreds of genres with dozens of sub-genres within those genres, with thousands of individual creators within those sub-genres. You might as well say you don't associate with people who wear blue shirts, that's how broad and varied of people you're dismissing. but if dismissing things is what you enjoy, who am I to argue? ::P:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

There is some money to be made screaming at video games.  There has also historically been money to be made selling sugar pills and magic crystals.  

I like maybe 10% of any given thing.  The other 90% I call the "Drek Tax".  Shows I liked to watch like TNG were supported, at least in part, by Jerry Springer.  These ecosystems are often more like wooly, tangled gardens.

Youtube is an ecosystem of this sort, and its utility as a surprise source of additional funding for The Tank Museum is provided, at least in part, by cat slideshows and sketchy ufo documentaries narrated by a robot voice.  While it might pain me that David Fletcher talking about a Mark VI doesn't have the same draw as Horses Peacefully Snoring And Farting, it is what it is.

TBH, I'm just waiting for somebody to mash those two together so I can watch Panzer IVs Peacefully Snorkelling And Fording.  

As opposed to David Fletcher peacefully snoring and farting.

But I might watch that, too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

As opposed to David Fletcher peacefully snoring ....

Prohibited by health and safety regulations as a flail hazard. ^_^

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sanael said:

Well, thanks. I AM happy, now you mention it.

But... But I'm happy. And you said, if I'm happy, then YOU'RE happy. How can you be happy and abjectly miserable?

I...I feel a paradox-induced forum crash may be imminent. Someone ask Kit if he's set up to handle this sort of thing?

But I wasn't sure you were happy when I wrote that, now I know I'm over the 

Image result for moon

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

There is some money to be made screaming at video games.  There has also historically been money to be made selling sugar pills and magic crystals.  

I like maybe 10% of any given thing.  The other 90% I call the "Drek Tax".  Shows I liked to watch like TNG were supported, at least in part, by Jerry Springer.  These ecosystems are often more like wooly, tangled gardens.

Youtube is an ecosystem of this sort, and its utility as a surprise source of additional funding for The Tank Museum is provided, at least in part, by cat slideshows and sketchy ufo documentaries narrated by a robot voice.  While it might pain me that David Fletcher talking about a Mark VI doesn't have the same draw as Horses Peacefully Snoring And Farting, it is what it is.

TBH, I'm just waiting for somebody to mash those two together so I can watch Panzer IVs Peacefully Snorkelling And Fording.  

As opposed to David Fletcher peacefully snoring and farting.

But I might watch that, too.

As Theodore Sturgeon said: "90% of everything is crap."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Anyway, I understand if it's not your thing, but I do think that it's pretty narrow-minded to outright dismiss any video genre or youtube itself in general, when you're talking about a platform that has over 20 million different channels with hundreds of genres with dozens of sub-genres within those genres, with thousands of individual creators within those sub-genres. You might as well say you don't associate with people who wear blue shirts, that's how broad and varied of people you're dismissing. but if dismissing things is what you enjoy, who am I to argue? ::P:

I like narrow minded, it allows me to concentrate on things that matter  :poke:

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

When you do, can you video yourself watching it so that I can watch you watching it?

Edited by Beagle
  • Haha 2

Just now, Beagle said:

I like narrow minded, it allows me to concentrate on things that matter rather :poke:

Like complaint threads? ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

As Theodore Sturgeon said: "90% of everything is crap."

I hate optimists 

Just now, Guindyloo said:

Like complaint threads? ::P:

Someone needs to make a stand, and as I'm the most intelligent, handsome and charming member of our fraternity, it may as well be me

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Beagle said:

When you do, can you video yourself watching it so that I can watch you watching it?

Only if you make a video of you watching me watching it so I can watch it.  

If this proves a success we can then watch The Watchmen and finally, definitively, answer the question of who watches them.  Then we can begin working on the pressing, salient matter of: Who Watches Who Watches The Watchmen?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Beagle said:

Someone needs to make a stand, and as I'm the most intelligent, handsome and charming member of our fraternity, it may as well be me

Oh gosh, well in that case, thank you for your sacrifice, good sir. I feel a little awkward about being a part of a fraternity though, I didn't even know that I'd joined one. Is this part of the hazing?

Just now, buglips*the*goblin said:

Only if you make a video of you watching me watching it so I can watch it.  

If this proves a success we can then watch The Watchmen and finally, definitively, answer the question of who watches them.  Then we can begin working on the pressing, salient matter of: Who Watches Who Watches The Watchmen?

I'm disliking all of those videos. But I'll be sure to video myself disliking them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2