Sign in to follow this  
Unit04

Looking for ~3 inch long space capitol ships (3D printed works too)

I just played the first game of Twilight Imperium 4th edition the other day and I think getting a customized flagship for each of the 17 races would be one cool way to do it. 

I believe there are some ships in Battlefleet Gothic that are the right size, I was wondering what other ships/systems may be out there that I can use.  Alternatively, if anyone knows a good way to find those sorts of things on Thingiverse, I may be able to convince my friends to print some up for me.  Bonus if they go on stands that I can swap out and color so that it is easier to tell what person they go to. 

5 minutes ago, Unit04 said:

I just played the first game of Twilight Imperium 4th edition the other day and I think getting a customized flagship for each of the 17 races would be one cool way to do it. 

I believe there are some ships in Battlefleet Gothic that are the right size, I was wondering what other ships/systems may be out there that I can use.  Alternatively, if anyone knows a good way to find those sorts of things on Thingiverse, I may be able to convince my friends to print some up for me.  Bonus if they go on stands that I can swap out and color so that it is easier to tell what person they go to. 

I'd recommend taking a look at Ground Zero Games Full Thrust starship line. (The game is pretty good, too.) Each nation has its own recognizable design aesthetic and the ship sizes are reasonable for TI.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I'd recommend taking a look at Ground Zero Games Full Thrust starship line. (The game is pretty good, too.) Each nation has its own recognizable design aesthetic and the ship sizes are reasonable for TI.

the larger ships in the line are near the size you want. the smaller ones are 1-2 inches.

• Like 3

Ironwind Metals has a small line of space ships, though I will admit they are a pricier option given they are full pewter-casted. If you click on the page for the ship that strikes your fancy, it'll give you the length in centimeters. Most in that line are around the length you want.

They are listed under the "Wolf Star Shipyard" tab in their online store. They are very Battlestar Galactica inspired to my eyes.

**If price is prohibitive, if you have ever been to the Origins Game Fair in Columbus OH, I have seen Ironwind there selling their pewter at respectfully discounted prices (in bins, not packaged though). It's in a month.**

EDIT: Valiant Miniatures also has a line of spaceships, under "Space Ship Gaming". Their pics provide a ruler next to the ship so you can gauge it's length. Still pricey, being pewter, but Valiant currently has a sale going on (which has actually been going on for many months but shhhh don't remind them of that).

Edited by ManvsMini
Thought of another source
  • Like 2

Ironwinds also makes the Battletech ships, but I think they will be too small. Check for MicroMachines on the Bay of E, they used to make all sorts of ships.

• Like 2

You'll also find some interesting ships from the Dropfleet Commander game by TTCombat.

• Like 1

Since I've been researching the game, I'll also mention the ships in Richard Borg's Red Alert. The game is fairly expensive, but you get a lot of ships for the price and they should be about the right size.

I looked at Red Alert, but all the ships are similar, which is not what I'm looking for.  What I'm looking for is 17 drastically different ship designs (like the Full Thrust line).  That being said, getting 17 ships from Full Thrust is a bit more than I want to spend so I'll probably make do with some 3D printing and maybe get a few ships from other sources to fill out any missing items.

Brigade Models sells spaceships, I believe most have their length listed in MM (roughly 25mm per inch).

Agents of Gaming still has some of the original Babylon 5 Wars ships for sale.

• Like 2

Studio Bergstrom has a large selection but the bigger ships aren't cheap.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 12:36 PM, Unit04 said:

I looked at Red Alert, but all the ships are similar, which is not what I'm looking for.  What I'm looking for is 17 drastically different ship designs (like the Full Thrust line).  That being said, getting 17 ships from Full Thrust is a bit more than I want to spend so I'll probably make do with some 3D printing and maybe get a few ships from other sources to fill out any missing items.

Probably late to the game, but how complicated do you want the ships? If you had some sketches I could probably bang out a couple for you to get printed.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate the offer.  I was talking to one of my friends over the weekend and we may print a couple out just to see what they look like with his printer.

1 hour ago, Unit04 said:

I appreciate the offer.  I was talking to one of my friends over the weekend and we may print a couple out just to see what they look like with his printer.

Sure thing. Here’s a mech figure I designed, printed, then prepped for ReaperCon 2017. Biggest compliment I got from the judges is that they wouldn’t have known it was 3D printed unless I had the little display next to it.

• Like 3

The heavy cruiser class ships in Firestorm Armada are around 3 inches long.  They appear on EBay frequently.  There's obviously a huge style difference with Battlefleet Gothic if you're using some of those ships though.  I don't know anything about Firestorm Armada the game, except it seems to have a poor reputation - I use the ships for Full Thrust and Starmada.

• Like 3