Glitterwolf

Resin Water Effects, How to Seal a Base?

42 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Is a plastic base capable of handling that heat?

Probably, the actual temp usually doesn't go all that high. But that will vary with the plastic used and again a test is probably useful. Note that exothermic reactions like epoxy polymerization work just fine at lower temperatures (though a bit slower). You can probably cool the plastic from the outside as long as you're careful to keep the cooling fairly consistent and make sure you don't freeze anything. A refrigerator could help with this, but make sure you don't end up with butter in the model. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what little I've done with resin, multiple pours work best for anything deep. Unless you are using a pressure pot, deeper pours will often result in bubbles that never make it out before the resin cures.

I would make the first pour 1 cm / half an inch deep or so to minimize any catastrophic failures of the tape dam. Once the first pour is cured it acts as a seal and helps hold the tape in place. You might end up having to sand and/or polish the sides to get it clear regardless of the material used as a dam.

Good luck, and pics or it didnt happen!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, DocPiske said:

From what little I've done with resin, multiple pours work best for anything deep. Unless you are using a pressure pot, deeper pours will often result in bubbles that never make it out before the resin cures.

I would make the first pour 1 cm / half an inch deep or so to minimize any catastrophic failures of the tape dam. Once the first pour is cured it acts as a seal and helps hold the tape in place. You might end up having to sand and/or polish the sides to get it clear regardless of the material used as a dam.

Good luck, and pics or it didnt happen!

Thanks!

Hmm, it might not be that deep after all.

I measure in CM and I told you guys a few inches...

I mean a few cm, maybe 2 to 3 cm will do the trick.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Thx!

Is a plastic base capable of handling that heat?

Oh yeah.  It's not oven hot, just noticeably hot.

• Thanks 1

When I did my partial circle pour I lubricated my plastic dam with a thin coating of oil, which prevented the resin from adhering to it. 

Something I have heard of doing for deep pours, but have never tried myself, is to take a small sheet of plywood and set it on top of four kitchen sponges - one for each corner.  Place your project in the middle.  Next affix a vibrating back massager to the board and fire it up.  The sponges will help deaden the vibrations some, but there will still be enough for air bubbles to work their way up before the resin cures.  Obviously you need your dam to be secure or else the vibrations could cause it to fail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the advice.

My first one will be a base for the Komodo Dragon, just a few cm and little resin.

If this works, the next project will be larger and will need a deeper pour.

That one will take a while before I build it, it has something to do with a Chronoscope Scuba Girl, a shipwreck and a seamonster.

For the last one I still have to decide which one to use, the Bones IV Zombie Shark? A Marine Dinosaur? A Dunkleosteus? And some sunken treasure.

This will be a big undertaking.

So starting small first, WIP in the Lost World Thread.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By FireImp
      Here’s my next big project, a 1984 Ral Partha dragon. This old fellow was in pieces when I received him, and painted. I’ve cleaned him up, removed the old epoxy glue, pinned him back together, and tonight realized it looks like he’s rising out of the water. He needs a bigger base, which I have (75x46mm oval). But I have never done any basing, and I’d like to create a base that extends the appearance of water. I have no idea how to do that, so any and all suggestions and illustrations are welcome!

• By SparrowMarie
      So I'm going to be making a diorama for a friend soon. I have a pretty solid idea of what I want to do but no idea how to go about it. I've never worked with cork before and am going to be using quite a bit of it. I want to pour water effects(?) into it but don't want the cork to soak it up. My questions are (photos to be added below for reference):

How do I seal the cork so it won't absorb the resin water effects? Do I need to seal the wood I am basing it on as well? If so what is the best way to do that? What is the best glue to put the cork on the wood, sealed or not?  
      ETA: 
      How do I fix the small hairline cracks in the cork (not sure if they're visible in the picture)? Kind of related but what is the best glue for plastic to wood (I'm going to be putting the wood on top of a painted Tropicana lid)?  

• By Metalchaos
      Hi everyone, it is with great pleasure that I present you today my latest project. I just completed the display base for the eleven Fox Critters I painted at the beginning of the year. I used Woodland Scenics ready-made fall colors trees and Bachmann Scene Scapes spruce trees as well as various undergrowth foliage, turf, natural stones, sand and realistic water effect. The base itself is made of wood, masonite hardboard and putty. I made the benches and the tente frame with real branches. For more details see the Fox Critter Rogue Camp Diorama WIP.

The camp fire, the two chest and all the Fox models are magnetised to the base and can easily be removed. Every Fox are from Dark Sword Miniatures and were sculpted by Dave Summers.
      Your comments are very welcome.

• By LarsM
      I have been sculpting lately, and finds it very fun and satisfying. There is just something about making everything from scratch.
      I dont think I will ever make 'real' miniatures, but simple creatures like this one is super fun.
      As always C & C is welcome.

..Here is the sea squiq. A lot of squiqs get captured by goblins and is trained and used for war. But this one is still a free living creature. Living and eating along the shores..

• By LarsM
      Startet on this base for a Vermin Tyrant from Avatars of War. It Started out as a test piece for a later project with water effect.
      But halfway through I found out about the Water Base Competition from Massive Voodoo, and thought 'Why Not'.
      So I finished the base, and send in pictures.

It is my first time using water effects. I chose to use the Vallejo Still Water. Partly because I thought the two-part resin types seemed quite difficult to work with, and this was not supposed to be very deep; aroun 5-10mm. And partly because that was what the local shop had.
      The water did not turn out that well, there came quite a few 'waves' around the edges and close to the rocks and things. I'm not sure if that would have been better with two-part-resin.
      I did circa 5-6 pours of the Vallejo Still Water to reach this depth.

The painting part I'm very pleased with, not least the marble effect on the white tiles. It is a bit more visible in real life than on these photos.
      (It will problably still look rather noob-ish in the competition, but what the heck.. there is also random prices -haha).

Edit: I should notice that the big rat is an old Ral Partha, the heads on spikes are from Avatars of War (came with the mini), and the two main tiles is from Scibor. The rest is homemade from putty, kitty litter and a piece of bark.

• Who's Online   29 Members, 3 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)