Ludo

ReaperCon 2019 Ribbons

23 hours ago, EvilCleric said:

Personalized ribbons sound fun!

Do you guys do anything to your badge to identify your forum name so some of us newbies will know who is who?

EC

You can also try asking around. People are usually happy to point out where a particular forumite is (if they know). This is especially true during the Meet & Greet on Wednesday, but it applies all con long.

3 hours ago, EvilCleric said:

That was my next question, how to get a specific name on the badge. 

So, ReaperCon does not print names on the badges? You just write it on with a sharpie or something?

I would love to be friends! I really need to post pics of my minis so I have more posts on the forums.

EC

Reaper changes the badge design from time to tome, but, as an example, here is what my 2017 badge looked like, complete with Sharpie labeling, and ribbons. The badge itself is a standardized plastic card, which is not printed with a name or ID of any kind. (It's in there at the top middle, between all the ribbons.)

RCon2017Badge.png.b5eca091b353edba98316e3f99e56480.png

Note that I am not a very active ribbon collector. Some people had many, many more.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, EvilCleric said:

That was my next question, how to get a specific name on the badge. 

So, ReaperCon does not print names on the badges? You just write it on with a sharpie or something?

I would love to be friends! I really need to post pics of my minis so I have more posts on the forums.

EC

One thing to note is that if you want to meet new people you have to meet new people.  Attendees will naturally cluster in groups of people they know from previous years and that might make you feel like an outsider, but people are generally approachable unless obviously busy (like involved in an rpg game or something).  

Does anyone remember the name of that guy from Long Island who had the Fiend Folio Iron Maiden shirt?  I think it was John?  That guy did it right, just came up and jumped in and made friends.  I just can't remember his name precisely because I had a lot going on, but I remember everything else and will be keeping an eye out for him this year.

If you engage with people and you're a decent sort of hooman being then you'll blend in in no time and by your second con you'll be one of the regulars.  

As a rule we don't haze any newcomers.      

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

One thing to note is that if you want to meet new people you have to meet new people.  Attendees will naturally cluster in groups of people they know from previous years and that might make you feel like an outsider, but people are generally approachable unless obviously busy (like involved in an rpg game or something).  

Does anyone remember the name of that guy from Long Island who had the Fiend Folio Iron Maiden shirt?  I think it was John?  That guy did it right, just came up and jumped in and made friends.  I just can't remember his name precisely because I had a lot going on, but I remember everything else and will be keeping an eye out for him this year.

If you engage with people and you're a decent sort of hooman being then you'll blend in in no time and by your second con you'll be one of the regulars.  

Yes.  This.  Also, feel free to approach me and I I will have no problem intorducing you to some of the regulars.  You will know me by my red "Nerd Vest" covered with pins and patches.  

• Like 7

Just look for the pointy ears here.

They will be "untucked" unless I'm in a costume that would make my long pointy ears inapropriate.:poke:

GEM

Twinkle   Twinkle

• Like 3

On 5/15/2019 at 8:04 PM, klarg1 said:

I’ve actually considered it, but I sadly have no costuming skills whatsoever. :down:

You can do a lot with a soupcon of imagination and pieces from various online vendors.

For example, last year I appeared as my avatar.

Neon Yellow ballet tights and a naked muscle print t-shirt, with red costume elf shoes, finger tentacles, and a bald cap [which I won't be doing again, substituting a tan chinese style cap].

I did modify the t-shirt slightly by stitching  a homemade cloth belt to the bottom.

And of course, my long pointy ears velcroed to the outside of the noise cncelling headphones I need for survival in public.

You can also check out your locl Party City or similar, they crry a selection of ready made costumes in various price ranges year-round.  And there's always the people from the big river that runs through the rain forests of South America.

GEM

Twinkle   Twinkle 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:27 AM, EvilCleric said:

Personalized ribbons sound fun!

Do you guys do anything to your badge to identify your forum name so some of us newbies will know who is who?

EC

There's a space on your convention badge to write your name/handle with a shrpie.

GEM

Twinkle   Twinkle

• Like 4

20 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

If it's who I'm thinking of, I remember him.  He was a pretty cool guy.

Myself, I'm going to make an effort to approach people and talk to them some this year....

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

If it's who I'm thinking of, I remember him.  He was a pretty cool guy.

Myself, I'm going to make an effort to approach people and talk to them some this year....

I remembered that I put a pic of him in the 2018 RCon pictures thread, here:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/82333-reaper-con-2018-photo-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1747028

• Like 3

Yeah that's the guy.  I may have even gotten his card and forgotten about it.  I think I'll take a look tonight...

• Like 3

Never mind, I remembered his name.  John Schmidt.   Super nice guy, really in to the hobby, and loved to meet people.

Edited by Cygnwulf
spellin
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Cygnwulf said:

Never mind, I remembered his name.  John Schmidt.   Super nice guy, really in to the hobby, and loved to meet people.

So I actually did remember his name!

• Like 5

On 5/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, buglips*the*goblin said:

Two Buglips enter, one Buglips leaves!

Some people would say fewer Buglips in the world is a bonus. 

But not me, never me. ::D:

I have some Sky Pirate ribbons left from last year, but sadly , will not be attending this year. I'm considering how to give out some of them "remotely" so I can attend in spirit. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/19/2019 at 1:28 PM, buglips*the*goblin said:

Aside from exposing them to you. 

A good intro is "Hi, I'm <insert your chosen name here> is anyone sitting here?" 

or

"Oh god, what is that smell?" to which we'll answer "Oh, that's Buglips. You get used to it. Or your nose dies. Hard to tell which. Here, grab a seat!" 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Aside from exposing them to you. 

A good intro is "Hi, I'm <insert your chosen name here> is anyone sitting here?" 

or

"Oh god, what is that smell?" to which we'll answer "Oh, that's Buglips. You get used to it. Or your nose dies. Hard to tell which. Here, grab a seat!" 

@buglips*the*goblin exposure is not so much hazing, as an environmental hazard.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

It doesn't work if you warn people, dumdum.

I am continually surprised no one has come up to you, sock in hand, expecting a ribbon in return. Unless that happened a year I was not at Reapercon, in which case, carry on, nothing to see here. ..

• Haha 5