vhaidra

REA03098 - Astrid, Female Chronicler - Dark Heaven Legends - 2nd version

Hi all,

as said I`m painting at a lot of miniatures at the moment, but they are all still wip and I only make very slowly progress so don`t expect me to post updates in my wip threads quickly. I have to work much, sometimes no time at all for painting and because I`m working at so many different projects each develope rather slow.

Because you seemed to like especially my version of Astrid I decided to start with posting wip photos from my second version of Astrid.

Long story short: The first and already finished Astrid (please check out my homepage for watching her, or visit my "I`m back" thread) was a gift for a friend. After she was finished I gave her away, but I also liked her haha. I decided that I simply can make someday a copy of her so that I have got one too for myself ::D:

I started this copy before my break in painting and now I plan to finish her with time.

One thing is different and that is the freehand of the back side of the guitar. This is because I`m a kinda wild thing and so this one becomes "Metal Astrid" LOL. My friend wished notes and so I painted notes at the first version of her. I would have preferred a skull, but my friend didn`t like the idea. But this version is for myself and now finaly the skull can be painted.

Well, nothing is finished here. It is all wip.

Explanation: I always start very rough and unclean all over the miniature. I do not finish part by part, I always paint everywhere same time. My paintjobs look all the time unfinished until they are really finished. I start at completely "messy" and with time my wips become cleaner, cleaner and you can see how I build up depth and the highlighting. So don`t worry if you see a wip from me at an early stage, I work this way intentionally.

Feedback/help: Of course each kind of feedback is highly appreciated. Critique, praise, jokes, questions, tipps...I take it all ::D: Concerning painting I don`t need desperately help and advice although it seems that I do if you see my completely messy and unclean wips, but actually I know what I`m doing and mostly I have a determined plan concerning colourscheme, concept and so on. So don`t get cheated by the (partially) horrible look of my wips, it turns out smooth in the end and you see always just a temporary condition. But feel free to communicate your thoughts if you think something would look better in a different way or for the case that you have got cool ideas which matches well with my concept. 

Concerning bases I do desperately need help!!! Definitely. I`m sad with how my bases turn out. I wish to improve. I hope I can learn here to build up better bases. I also need help when it comes to build anything for example with plastic card (polystyrene) and such. I hope that you can help me with this issue and I`m more than glad about tipps and advice in this matter.

Concept so far:

- Colourscheme same like the first Astrid, but skull freehand.

- I will take her off from the base she is standing on right now and I wish to make a cool base this time.

- I would love to make a stage, but I have no idea how, LOL.

- I plan to sculpt a "Marshall Amp" for her guitar :B):

- I play with the idea to add the skeletal band by Ral Partha as her band LOL. I`m not sure about this idea.

- I plan to sculpt different things like beer cans, paper, zigarettes lying on the floor, maybe a microphone however. If you have got cool ideas in additon I would be glad to know.

Please let me know what you think about the concept and feel free to make own suggestions because all is open now. Nothing is done. I`m just painting at the moment.

Enough talking, here are the actual wip photos: Ooops I see my pictures are a bit blurry (or does the board compress the images). Next ones will be better at least if the board software allows.  More angles of the miniature also follow later.

Astrid wip 1.jpg

• Like 21

That flaming skull on the back of the guitar is amazing. I did a Grandmaster from "Thor: Ragnarok".

"I want to go closer, I need to get a closer look at this! Can you take us closer? Thank you."

Very cool.

• Like 3

I love it!

The freehand on the guitar is great!

Pure Metal!

Mtl.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I love it!

The freehand on the guitar is great!

Pure Metal!

I hope, it`s just a pity that she can`t do headbanging :lol:

Thanks.

@ManvsMini: Thanks for feedback I`m glad you like the concept. Does your nick mean: Man versus Mini?

@Loim: Thanks.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vhaidra said:

@ManvsMini: Thanks for feedback I`m glad you like the concept. Does your nick mean: Man versus Mini?

It does indeed mean that. I see your location is in Germany. Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Mann gegen Mini, vielleicht ist besser? ::D:

My German is unpracticed for many years, but I am always willing to attempt speaking it.

• Like 1

Maybe a small amp with a wire running to the guitar? Great color selections, very vibrant. Very 80’s metal

Loth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's gorgeous!

I've got a partially completed Astrid too.  She was a changeling bard, so I wanted her to look like Mystique transforming while she stepped through a doorway.

For basing, I find it helps to have an idea of who the character is.  Then I set them in an environment that evokes one or two of their main themes.  In the party I linked above, the pirate is on a ship, the shadow monk gets serious chiaroscuro, and the bounty hunter with slippers of spider climbing is up on a roof.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

She is a definite heartbreaker!

Cool, thanks ::D:

11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

It does indeed mean that. I see your location is in Germany. Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Mann gegen Mini, vielleicht ist besser? ::D:

My German is unpracticed for many years, but I am always willing to attempt speaking it.

Ja ich spreche Deutsch, du kannst mit mir Deutsch üben, wenn du möchtest. I found this nickname very funny, this is why I asked. This is how I feel so often, when painting: WomenvsMini LOL. I know this feeling very well. Cool nick ::D:

5 hours ago, Loth said:

Maybe a small amp with a wire running to the guitar? Great color selections, very vibrant. Very 80’s metal

Yes, yes and yes. I have written it at the "concept" I plan to sculpt a Marshall Amp, but a huge one :-))) I have already sculpted a small guitar amp, but when I looked at it I didn`t like it. I think a huge Marshall Amp will be better. And yes of course I plan to connect the amp with the guitar. I have to drill a hole into the guitar I`m afraid. Thanks for the feedback and your input!

1 hour ago, blargney said:

That's gorgeous!

I've got a partially completed Astrid too.  She was a changeling bard, so I wanted her to look like Mystique transforming while she stepped through a doorway.

I checked it out. That`s a very cool idea, I`m curious how this will develope.

1 hour ago, blargney said:

For basing, I find it helps to have an idea of who the character is.  Then I set them in an environment that evokes one or two of their main themes.  In the party I linked above, the pirate is on a ship, the shadow monk gets serious chiaroscuro, and the bounty hunter with slippers of spider climbing is up on a roof.

Thanks a lot!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vhaidra said:

Ja ich spreche Deutsch, du kannst mit mir Deutsch üben, wenn du möchtest. I found this nickname very funny, this is why I asked. This is how I feel so often, when painting: WomenvsMini LOL. I know this feeling very well. Cool nick ::D:

Thank you very much, I believe every painter/sculptor is a person versus the mini, LOL. Though admittedly, some make it look effortless.

I just found and read some of your "I'm Back" thread, so I'll post more there instead of cluttering up your thread here.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vhaidra said:

I checked it out. That`s a very cool idea, I`m curious how this will develope.

Thanks!  I have a number of PCs to complete for campaigns that are not yet defunct, unlike the Eberron minis.  I might revisit them after I've got the higher priority guys done.

For your Astrid: if the amp you make is big enough, she could stand on it.  :-) 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, blargney said:

Thanks!  I have a number of PCs to complete for campaigns that are not yet defunct, unlike the Eberron minis.  I might revisit them after I've got the higher priority guys done.

For your Astrid: if the amp you make is big enough, she could stand on it.  :-) 

LOL good idea. Yeah I guess the amp will be big enough, but I still consider about this skeletal band by Ral Partha and for this idea I would build a 2 parted stage and this doesn`t fit with the idea to put Astrid on the amp BUT I will take your idea for the moment and go on collecting ideas which might appear here and in the end I have to make my decision. So for now: Thanks, I will consider this.

• Like 2