Sign in to follow this  
Orlando_the_Technicoloured

Devil May Cry boardgame by Steamforged Games, Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/devil-may-crytm-the-bloody-palace

now live

Automatically Appended Next Post:

About

Based on the Bloody Palace mode from the critically acclaimed Devil May Cry™ 5 video game, Devil May Cry™: The Bloody Palace is a dynamic and fast-paced board game for 2 to 4 players where style counts for everything. Players each take control of an iconic Devil May Cry™ devil hunter and try to outscore each other by building the most impressive attack combos and achieving the highest style rank.

06441a1ba0282dce452044232f212b42_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1557324453&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=055e3c7b7c0e660f04a9b24a733e2149

f578da38a6e941371efa398657f6b6de_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1557934395&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=b1fd092e33a26b206d0c4eff31eb13c1

Automatically Appended Next Post:
Unfortunately, we are unable to ship pledge rewards to the following countries:

Afghanistan, Argentina, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, Burma, Burundi, Central African Republic, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, Eritrea, Falkland Islands, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Republic of Guinea, Republic of Guinea-Bissau, Gyana, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon and Syria, Libya, Mali, Martinique, Mexico, New Caledonia, North Korea, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Reunion Island, Somalia, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, The Republic of Maldives, Ukraine, Uruguay, Venezuela, Yemen and Zimbabwe.

If your territory is listed above we hope to be able to offer this product to you at retail but are unable to commit to shipping to these territories during the Kickstarter.

Whilst we will strive to deliver your rewards in a timely manner, you may not receive your reward before the product is available for purchase at retail, or other promotional opportunities such as conventions. We have ensured that the pledge reward offered is packed with fantastic value and Kickstarter exclusives to compensate for any potential delays. However, if this unacceptable to you, please do not back this project and instead wait for the retail release. Thank you for your understanding.

Any pledges confirmed after our pledge manager deadline will be shipped from the UK hub at a later date and will likely incur increased shipping costs.  

Note: they've got several open project, but have also just got £5million in extra investment funding so while timeliness of delivery may be an issue, worries about whether their ongoing projects can be afforded are probably no longer an issue

If you're not familiar with Steamforged Games, do your due diligence. We just had a thread on creators with multiple open projects, and SFG has three open. 

I'm ambivalent about investors, and consider them a yellow flag. I've seen a KS fail because an investor pulled out, leaving the backers with a project that could not be fulfilled (Fairy Tale Battle Royale (?)). Investors may also interfere with a project, causing delays. However, CMON now has investors, and it's possible that many KS that deliver have investors without telling their backers.

The Dark Souls backers are not happy with SFG's fulfillment. : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game?ref=discovery_popular&term=dark souls

BGG reviews of their Resident Evil 2 game are mixed. Common complaint is about their tiles that are too dark. Details on character mini's are soft. Gameplay depends on a random item draw. : 

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233896/resident-evil-2-board-game/forums/63

While miniature costs vary, I'm seeing 27 different sculpts, including expensive ones, but the funding is only $230,000. Molds can cost 5K to 15K+ for a single sculpt.

If you can wait for a sale at retail, you can sometimes find the base game at half of the pledge plus shipping. I'm fine with just the main characters, so will be doing this. The designer, James M. Hewitt, has a good amount of game design experience.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On the flip side, Dungeons & Doggies fulfilled very fast, and I'm pretty sure they were done by SFG. People like the figures, although weren't a fan of the packaging. 

Seems like SFG is a mixed bag overall. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cyradis said:

On the flip side, Dungeons & Doggies fulfilled very fast, and I'm pretty sure they were done by SFG. People like the figures, although weren't a fan of the packaging. 

Seems like SFG is a mixed bag overall. 

They didn't run D&D, but they made/fulfilled it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2019 at 3:10 PM, ced1106 said:

While miniature costs vary, I'm seeing 27 different sculpts, including expensive ones, but the funding is only $230,000. Molds can cost 5K to 15K+ for a single sculpt.

Your numbers there are a bit off.  Basically, they would absolutely never put a single sculpt into a mold here.  Rather, models that share a SKU can share a mold (meaning that the price per sculpt/mini goes WAY down for the board game full of minis, but if you want the same quality sculpt sold individually, it will cost a great deal more).

Fairly early in the days of Kickstarter, CMON learned not to split SKUs in Kickstarter bundles (doing that caused a mess for Relic Knights and Wrath of Kings).

Kickstarter exclusives will also share molds with one another, bringing the cost per sculpt down quite a bit there as well.  In the end, I think Devil May Cry is not unreasonable.  I just worry that they went way over budget on Dark Souls, and won't be able to finish delivery there anytime soon.

• Like 1

(they've had a £5 million investment from a local business development fund so even if they had misjudged their funding they'll have the moneyto finish it off the previous projects now

Edit: although I think it's more likely they just ran out of steam on the game as they don't want it to all be just the same with new sculpts & since other stuff like RE2 has delivered and no doubt pinched design time)

Edited by Orlando_the_Technicoloured

The way that Steamforged brings up the investment news when people claim that they're using new KS money to fulfill previous obligations makes me think that they're using the investment money to fulfill previous obligations.

However, they have never indicated that they're out of money for any of their projects.  While I think that it is possible, it is also possible that this is not the case.

It does make me wonder when Kickstarter started up their "Cannot run a 2nd or 3rd campaign before previous ones are done."

But the concerns that kept the funding levels low for Devil May Cry were:

- Previous unfulfilled obligations seen as red flag that they may not fulfill.
- Previous delivered games have serious criticisms.  Dark Souls made a fantastic demo, but the finished game has serious pacing issues (there are fan mods, and even two official mods to fix this).  Resident Evil doesn't have gameplay criticisms, but some folks really hated on the board design (because it was very dark).  

I kind of feel like Steamforged need an unqualified hit from one of their Kickstarter games in order to get things back on track.

Their Dark Souls Boardgame, which I backed 2 years ago, has been horrible with communication, and they made me reconfirm my address 3 times or they wouldn't ship my items. I will never back one of their projects again. My dark souls game still hasn't been fulfilled, and they came out with a statement saying they knew the game wasn't that good. Do not invest in them

• Sad 2

SFG are also behind the "Critical Role" kickstarter. This is meant to be delivering before the end of the month. Communications have been poor and there has been a lot of disappointment about the quality of some figures.

I do not wish to pass judgement before I receive my pledge, but I feel very reluctant to get involved with any of their other projects.  

• Like 2

Hahaha! *breath* HA!

It is a shame 'they' get to do a great IP like DMC, but I am STILL waiting for more bits of the Dark Souls KS. NO way in hell I am backing this, and I would recommend anyone against it. :)

On 6/14/2019 at 7:20 PM, Kendal said:

Their Dark Souls Boardgame, which I backed 2 years ago, has been horrible with communication, and they made me reconfirm my address 3 times or they wouldn't ship my items. I will never back one of their projects again. My dark souls game still hasn't been fulfilled, and they came out with a statement saying they knew the game wasn't that good. Do not invest in them

They made a statement in which they acknowledged that Dark Souls wasn't a good game?

Can you send me a link, please?  The closest thing I remember was that they were 'happy that people were doing fan mods to their game' but didn't acknowledge that people only did this because the game is so bad as is.

I'm not sure where on their kickstarter it was posted. I remember them acknowledging rules not being exciting, adding cards/rules, encouraging house rules, etc. They have had to clarify their own rules. It's nonsense quite honestly. They start a bunch of projects and can't complete them efficiently, and their service is bad. 

Reaper is divine with their KS.

• Like 1