Rigel

Out-of-production TOMB KING from GW!

Okay, the cartouche on the drape is something else!  :D  Also, I really like the rich contrasts of the gold trim and deep blue parts that look like inlaid lapis lazuli.  I'm particularly curious about what's going on with the *inside* of the shield.  Did you free-hand paint various glyphs on the inside?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it greatly and it's good to be back on the forum. 

19 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

Okay, the cartouche on the drape is something else!  :D  Also, I really like the rich contrasts of the gold trim and deep blue parts that look like inlaid lapis lazuli.  I'm particularly curious about what's going on with the *inside* of the shield.  Did you free-hand paint various glyphs on the inside?

Double thanks! The cartouche was a gamble, but I think it worked out. The gold is ArmyPainter Greedy Gold and the blue is cheap DecoArt metallic Ice Blue (NOT to be confused with FolkArt metallic Ice Blue, which is much paler, as on the Anubis Guard's headdress.)
Yes, the inside of the shield also has those scraps of sewn paper (or leather?) on it; I used a liner brush for freehand. It's not my best work (apparently the shield and arm were originally separate from the torso, but they were stuck together when I got it and it is not easy getting into some of those crannies), but I'm a strong believer in the 'finished is better than perfect' philosophy.
Afraid the hieroglyphs are gibberish, though; if I had to do it again I would look up some excerpts from the Book of the Dead or the Book of Going Forth by Day. 

• Like 3

Ah a mummy fan. Cool scene and cool paintjobs. I like them all, much detail work as I see. I suppose you are a more patiently painter in fact I would get mad with this amount of tiny, tiny details. Good job!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vhaidra said:

Ah a mummy fan. Cool scene and cool paintjobs. I like them all, much detail work as I see. I suppose you are a more patiently painter in fact I would get mad with this amount of tiny, tiny details. Good job!

Thank you! The attention to detail really varies a lot from day to day, depending on patience and energy, but this one worked out all right. Had to do it in three or four sessions though. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rat13
      With my Cadian army nearly finished and my wife's army at a playable state I decided to take a break from 40k painting. Since I've been painting for our actual armies for so long I decided to start a new WIP thread rather than use my old random projects thread (the "Too Many Projects" thread will be replaced by this one).

But before getting too far ahead I'd like to show everyone just how bad my box got while painting for 40k and killteam. This of course doesn't include any GW boxes I may or may not have on hand to paint "just for fun". I swear I'll paint those Skaven sooner or later.

Though some of the figures were closer to completion, I simply couldn't resist painting one I've had my eye on for months (I mean this quite literally as the figure sat on my lamp's base since I first got it and probably ended up in the background of many of my progress shots). When I first pulled this from a box of goodwill I knew exactly what I wanted to do. This figure just screamed Don Quixote, at least to me it did. So that's exactly how I painted it and though it may just be a simple paint job I'm already thinking about creating a new character just to use it.
    • By viking_hank
      Games workshop head with reaper body and an old plaster base. 

• By Rat13
      With my Cadian army mostly finished (aside from painting nine more squads, the inevitable additions, and tweaks that never really end ) it seemed like a good time to start my wife's army. This week I finally picked up her codex and learned how to build the units to fit this edition (I didn't want to build a bunch of squads only to realize I was short figures because they can't actually take the loadout legally).

Next came the task of deciding which clan/clans she wanted to play. She chose the Bad Moons to start, though that could change, but since we'll be using an original color scheme they'll be playable as anything if she wants something different. 

Choosing her clan lead her straight down the rabbit hole of the Orks lore however. She asked me if I knew anything about them which led to a condensed explanation of their culture, life cycle, tactics, technology, and of course the Waaagh! I honestly wish I had recorded her reaction as each fact seemed to make her eyes get bigger and bigger as she realized just how much craziness there is to absorb. This of course led to us putting a pin in the topic, with me telling her that reading the codex is way more fun than someone just telling you everything.

Now she knows the Kill team rules and routinely destroys my Guard team but she has never played 40k, which means creating this army will be a joint venture. I'll assemble and paint the miniatures but we will create the army together with her deciding the troops and their loadouts. For the actual creation I'll be in a purely advisory position. 

So tonight we started out slowly and talked out the weapon choices of the Runtherder. She decided on the Grabba stick and a squigg, reasoning that she wanted the extra attack and the squigg's morale ability.

Once everything was decided I got to work building her Runtherder and gretchins. Then came the task of gathering up everything else we've acquired over the last few months. 

With winter still causing problems for priming a trip to my brother's garage may be in order.
    • By lowlylowlycook
      I can stop buying orcs at any time, I promise...

But for now I have a few boxes of plastic Uruk Hai from GW.

Here they are being glued to washers

And some test models, testing both a color scheme and different primers (as you can see).   Basecoated 

Then washed

The pikes: Basecoated 

Then washed

• By odinsgrandson
      Tzeentch has always been one of my favorite parts of the Warhammer 40,000 and Age of Sigmar settings. I love both the concepts behind the Changer of Ways and the brilliant deformed mutants and demons that form his legions.
      Here are some Tzeentch minis that I’ve gotten to paint up recently. They’re actually from a few separate clients who were all excited about Tzeentch in this similar color schemes.

• Who's Online   43 Members, 3 Anonymous, 73 Guests (See full list)