Sign in to follow this  
Redd Knekk

#14337 - Thunganir, Dark Dwarf Captain

Really like the dragon hatchling armor.

I think the gold parts of his armor and the weapon could use more shading - they look a bit monotoned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iridil said:

I think the gold parts of his armor and the weapon could use more shading - they look a bit monotoned.

Im not sure if that is the lighting or the mini but the gold does look very washed out.  I can see the faint area where the white points are but they get really washed out.  maybe take the whole pallet darker and leave the white highlight?  You did a good job on the dragonskin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Im not sure if that is the lighting or the mini but the gold does look very washed out.  I can see the faint area where the white points are but they get really washed out.  maybe take the whole pallet darker and leave the white highlight?  You did a good job on the dragonskin.

Agreed

• Thanks 1

First the good news: Reflection (highlights) are set all right. ::D: Congrats!

The bad news: One of the most important thing when it comes to nmm is: Highlighting all edges!!! All. I don`t know how this calls in english, but the directly translation would be "edge highlighting". This is most important in nmm. Alone this creates already a nice illusion of seeing metal. Not all edge highlights are same bright, even there you have to paint lighter and darker areas.

Colour choice is great, all right so far, but use more of this "bestial brown" midtone. Mix it with yellow for the transition close to highlights and with chocolate brown close to the shadows for building up a nice deep transition.

The white is placed well, but the whole painting lacks of depth, this is because you have shaded not enough and you haven`t use this bestial brown midtone not enough. Highlights are done well so far. You just need to add a bit more depth by using more medium and darker midtones and adding some edge highlighting.

I have tried to make an example, again with my PC (graphic software) but this was a pure nightmare, because the photo is so small that I just have seen single pixel. LOL. No way. I just did it quickly and sloppy and I just edited the details left from this red line, because I haven`t got that much offtime. Would be cool if you could post a bit larger pictures and most of all sending me a private message for the case that you post a wip, because I hoped to get a message when I follow someone, but I was in an error. Following someone doesn`t lead to a information if someone is open up a new thread.

Because the image is so small it is hard to see what I`ve done there and actually I couldn`t do much, because with a one pixel large brush....there is no way,  but maybe you found it nevertheless a bit helpful I hope.

1836131411_NMMGold.jpg.b42a806901d3f5aaaf9c9860156cb8f1.jpg

All in all a very good paintjob!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 2:03 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Good job!

He looks very good, the poor dragon hatchling's hide is well painted!

On 5/17/2019 at 12:56 PM, Iridil said:

On 5/17/2019 at 2:18 PM, Kangaroorex said:

On 5/17/2019 at 2:38 PM, Adrift said:

Agreed

Im just going to say thank you to everyone here at once. I painted this a while ago (before I started here on the forum) and I didn’t post them bc I thought it would be bad form to post old stuff “just for the likes”. I was looking at it the other day and wondered what ideas you all would have if the yellow parts were trying to be metal, and this has been very helpful. I originally painted the pauldrons and maul (as a story piece) to be made from the yellow breastplate scales of the baby blue dragon he killed, but I thought the NMM techniques for gold would apply. All your comments lined up, and I will admit that I have focused on highlighting and not shading/darkening, so I’m very lacking there. This tells me exactly what I was hoping to get!!

4 hours ago, vhaidra said:

First the good news: Reflection (highlights) are set all right. ::D: Congrats!

The bad news: One of the most important thing when it comes to nmm is: Highlighting all edges!!! All. I don`t know how this calls in english, but the directly translation would be "edge highlighting". This is most important in nmm. Alone this creates already a nice illusion of seeing metal. Not all edge highlights are same bright, even there you have to paint lighter and darker areas.

Colour choice is great, all right so far, but use more of this "bestial brown" midtone. Mix it with yellow for the transition close to highlights and with chocolate brown close to the shadows for building up a nice deep transition.

The white is placed well, but the whole painting lacks of depth, this is because you have shaded not enough and you haven`t use this bestial brown midtone not enough. Highlights are done well so far. You just need to add a bit more depth by using more medium and darker midtones and adding some edge highlighting.

I have tried to make an example, again with my PC (graphic software) but this was a pure nightmare, because the photo is so small that I just have seen single pixel. LOL. No way. I just did it quickly and sloppy and I just edited the details left from this red line, because I haven`t got that much offtime. Would be cool if you could post a bit larger pictures and most of all sending me a private message for the case that you post a wip, because I hoped to get a message when I follow someone, but I was in an error. Following someone doesn`t lead to a information if someone is open up a new thread.

Because the image is so small it is hard to see what I`ve done there and actually I couldn`t do much, because with a one pixel large brush....there is no way,  but maybe you found it nevertheless a bit helpful I hope.

1836131411_NMMGold.jpg.b42a806901d3f5aaaf9c9860156cb8f1.jpg

All in all a very good paintjob!

Vhaidra, you are a saint for doing this!!! As before, this is an older one I didn’t intend to be metal, but looking at it I thought it could probably look metallic with a little more technique - which you have expertly given. Your comments are very clear to me, and what you did on his yellow fist spikes has opened up a whole new way of thinking about NMM. I’ve gotten so stuck on the one I’m painting now it’s embarrassing. I actually feel like I’m getting worse as a painter for trying NMM. I’m going to IM you the pictures I took just as soon as I board my plane now. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH for taking the time!!!!!!! A picture is worth a thousand words, but I’m definitely not darkening anything mix-wise so that’s an immediate thing I need to work on. Gimme 30 mins then check your inbox.

Edited by Redd Knekk
  • Like 3

@Redd Knekk: It`s a great joy for me seeing painter so enthusiastic haha. Great. You`re welcome. I can`t do this every

day and not for 1000 members same time, but from time to time when I have got more offtime and when Iself have one of this "enthusiastic miniature days" then I love doing such images, because I know how helpful they are and I actually have fun in doing this and see this as a practise in highlighting for myself too. Unfortunately this one (photo) was too small, but it seems you could nevetheless get the info, that`s great ::D:.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1