Sign in to follow this  
Sirithiliel

77503: Temple dragon x3

Adding three more.

these are going to be my demonstration models for my class at ReaperCon, which is going to be about how to paint dragons, and ways to spice up the colors for a traditional dragon or go out of the box entirely

One is painted in the 'classic' way of painting a dragon, that is with one solid color for the body, and different colors for the wing membranes and spikes. A look at google or reaper store painted images will show you plenty of dragons painted this way.

Second is my way of painting a dragon, which incorporates several shades of color for the body to provide more visual interest. While this does provide more work in having to shade / highlight in different colors, i think the effect is more interesting than the classic way (and judging by the usual feedback on my dragons and the request for me to teach a class, i think others think so too)

Third is a 'out of the box' dragon (which is Cabbage), showing how you can do a non-D&D dragon using color combos, and having patterns, or face masks, or 'socks' on the limbs, etc.

i kind of think i should have a fourth, showing how you can use a real-life inspiration to paint a dragon, but i'll think about it

Lots of pics

94C23D66-1B52-466D-84A1-03B7C4CA726C.jpeg

5E2CA478-EE26-4A25-92FB-622509F7E67A.jpeg

D6F577EA-4295-482E-83C9-DF6EC6FFF424.jpeg

4C20DE14-F5B2-4E60-80F1-206AD8F8AFFD.jpeg

09917795-CA58-465A-A317-A5A4407F22BF.jpeg

A5A9B9B7-E9CE-4ED1-B925-09067E396830.jpeg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 18

I love them!! Realistic inspiration is my favorite way to paint them, nature gives us so many cool ideas. ^_^ 

I like that you also did more and more with each base to match the dragons.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I love them!! Realistic inspiration is my favorite way to paint them, nature gives us so many cool ideas. ^_^ 

I like that you also did more and more with each base to match the dragons.

that's more a happy accident haha. The middle one was based a while ago when i was painting him for something else, i had one spare fancy base that i put on Cabbage because i like Cabbage, and so classic dragon had to have a plain base since there was nothing else on hand and he kept falling over

• Like 2

I love these!  Your dragons are always an inspiration to me - wish I could come to ReaperCon and take your class!  Having these pictures to refer to is a great resource.