Games and gaming

buckyball

1 minute ago, buckyball said:

<rant> I would really enjoy playing games that use miniatures. Really why go to a game convention put on by a miniatures company only to play boardgames and card games? Now I know there are boardgames that use miniatures as game tokens, and even a few boardgames that are skirmish miniatures games. But there really need to be more miniatures events at this convention. </rant>

buckyball

I think this is a bit of an unreasonable message. While not many people played them last year, there are people who come to support their family members. Additionally, boardgames are often an extension of our hobby. 

Not to mention, there are Miniature Related activities going the full length of the con, so saying people shouldn't enjoy boardgames is a bit unfair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I think this is a bit of an unreasonable message. While not many people played them last year, there are people who come to support their family members. Additionally, boardgames are often an extension of our hobby. 

Not to mention, there are Miniature Related activities going the full length of the con, so saying people shouldn't enjoy boardgames is a bit unfair.

You are probably right and my rant is a bit unreasonable. But I am not saying boardgames shouldn't be played. I just find it disappointing that miniatures games seem to be getting less common at conventions. Miniatures games are a bit more elaborate than boardgames or cardgames and I feel conventions are a good opportunity to play them. They are also a great opportunity to try them out, before you go and spend a bunch of money on figures, rules, and terrain.

buckyball

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, buckyball said:

You are probably right and my rant is a bit unreasonable. But I am not saying boardgames shouldn't be played. I just find it disappointing that miniatures games seem to be getting less common at conventions. Miniatures games are a bit more elaborate than boardgames or cardgames and I feel conventions are a good opportunity to play them. They are also a great opportunity to try them out, before you go and spend a bunch of money on figures, rules, and terrain.

buckyball

Since ReaperCon is mostly a long-distance-travel con, miniatures games are significantly harder to manage (unless you're local). I've thought about bringing Frostgrave stuff, but even limited terrain is pretty bulky -- and that's with driving. If I were flying, it would be much worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buckyball said:

<rant> I would really enjoy playing games that use miniatures. Really why go to a game convention put on by a miniatures company only to play boardgames and card games? Now I know there are boardgames that use miniatures as game tokens, and even a few boardgames that are skirmish miniatures games. But there really need to be more miniatures events at this convention. </rant>

buckyball

What I'm hearing: why are you ruining my fun event with thing I don't like.

Solution, bring and run a miniature game then.

As far as I know, Reapercon is the only miniature focused con. Everything else is either games in general or type specific and that's why you don't see them. As been mentioned above, many cons are starting to offer events and things for significant other/ friends/ general support to do. Reapercon will be no different as it continues to grow. 

well to join the conversation:  there is at least one official version of rangers converted to dreadmere which is going to be going on.  The folks from CAV will probably be there again with their table to show off and they will probably run some miniature gaming there too.  I also heard rumors of a game of frostgrave or ghost archipelago going down.  There might be a few others as well.  I will probably bring a small warband with me but since I'm flying I really can't bring terrain or other large miniature centric games with me, though I would love to play if anyone is volunteering...

Come to think of it, this year has the greatest potential for miniatures gaming since the early 2010s

::D:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nakos said:

As far as I know, Reapercon is the only miniature focused con. Everything else is either games in general or type specific and that's why you don't see them. As been mentioned above, many cons are starting to offer events and things for significant other/ friends/ general support to do. Reapercon will be no different as it continues to grow. 

Adepticon is a major miniatures-focused convention. They have multiple ballrooms filled with long tables set up with miniatures gaming terrain. I have no idea if it’s provided locally or people bring their own. It’s quite something to see though.

• Like 1

The Historical Miniatures Gaming Society conventions (esp Cold Wars, Historicon, and Fall In) are all miniatures events.  

Having just gotten back from flying a miniatures game to Gencon, I have to concur that it’s a challenge...

One of the game ballrooms at Historicon:

D7F765BF-8864-49C6-8A24-18067DF8746E.thumb.jpeg.bdf4ed0ee369a56352106dab47180201.jpeg

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nakos said:

It's basically a 4 day GW advertisement but yes I forgot about Adepticon.

The convention may be dominated by GW, but it reflects the industry as a whole. There’s plenty of other stuff there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, buckyball said:

buckyball

I plan to play a lot of CAV at ReaperCon. Happy to show you what I know and play a game or 2 with you!

J--

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I understand that having the scenery/terrain to play on can be problematic, especially considering traveling, but it does seem kinda weird that a miniatures convention, run by a miniatures company, doesn't have more miniatures games.

This is because Reaper isn't a games company as noted by ReaperBryan in the past. They are a miniatures company & their focus are those miniatures. I personally would love to see Reaper put out more games thou as they've had great ideas in the past, there is just no in house support for those games after they've been released. They die a slow death before they really have a chance to take flight.

• Like 3