Sign in to follow this  
Unit04

Thunderstone Quest - Expansion Minis

The rest of my Kickstarter for AEG's Thunderstone Quest came in.  This was for an expansion that changed the player count from 2-4 to 1-6 as well as adding a cooperative mode.  I'm not sure I'd want to play this game at 6 players unless it is cooperative because there is a lot of downtime when its not your turn.  In cooperative mode, it seems that everyone goes at the same time, so that probably reduces down time.  

I didn't realize it at the time, but the expansion ALSO comes with two minis (6 were included in the base game so it wasn't strictly necessary).  I also didn't realize that the monk had a mark on her forehead that I THINK is intentional (these aren't the best minis, as you can see from the crease down her back).  I would have painted her a lighter skin tone so the mark would stand out better if I realized that earlier.  I chose green for her since a nice yellow/orange color was already taken by one of the other minis I painted for this game and I wanted unique player colors.  Likewise, I chose white for the crusader because all the good colors were taken and I could see him as a paladin type.  

Hopefully I don't get any more minis for this game because I'm running out of unique player colors.  

845912168_2019-05-2019_40_10.thumb.jpg.0fd38fb819f099de4ee2fad08d83b003.jpg 1774999192_2019-05-2019_40_22.thumb.jpg.5ee06c01ff7f70f7739dc1bb72bb2622.jpg

1582924953_2019-05-2019_40_38.thumb.jpg.bdf20b06c82cd0b4af1837ba34b12d00.jpg 275172280_2019-05-2019_40_46.thumb.jpg.1014ae88e8de216d4396d5b80dc51caf.jpg

• Like 12

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      This is a bust from El Greco: Deus Vult / Militi Christi.

I painted him as a Knight Hospitaller.
      Learned a lot on the way.
      There are a few white specks in the pics, I was taking them outside and this is actually not there.
      Also there is more depth than the pics show, some shadows are washed out by the camera.

WIP here: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85635-deus-vult-militi-christi-bust-by-glitterwolf/

This one is going to be shipped off as a present to a certain person.
      It will be a surprise and I wonder how it will be received.

Here he is.

• By ChanSeal
      "Bliss"
      Needed a civilian type for a game, and this was the best I find in my lead mountain.
      Dunno why, but I keep seeing him as one of those beer-making monks carrying a keg on his back.
      So I painted him as one who just "sampled" the merchandise and really liked the sample.
      The nose and cheeks were more "ruddy" IRL but doesn't show up well in the pictures.
      There is a lightish line at the top of the belly where I tried to repair the paint job after accidently flicking some dark wash on it.
      The line isn't really visible IRL but clearly seen in the pictures.

Thanks for looking.

*Edit
      And if something looked odd with my montage, it's because the second picture got flipped when I was joining the four of them together. Just noticed this.

• By Unit04
      Thunderstone Quest by AEG is the third in a line of deck builder style games with the Thunderstone name.  I never played the first two, but each iteration got a little more love from the fans.  This version certainly knocks it out of the park and my friend and I played through a good portion of the included "quests" (which were basically recommended card to play with).  The miniatures it comes with aren't strictly necessary, but they do look better then colored pieces of wood.  Because it is a board game, I wanted to give everyone a separate colored base to make them stand out a little more and give them a bit more personality.  

The warrior's color scheme is inspired by Iron Man.  I was able to borrow a metallic red paint (Retro Red Steel) and I like how he turned out for the most part.   

For the wizard, I wanted to use my MSP SAMPLE , which is the pinkish/purplish color of her...cloak (?). 

I gave the dwarven barbarian a white beard because, frankly, nothing is scarier than an old barbarian.  He sorta fell into the brown color because I painted the fairy druid right before him and wanted a darker color.

The fairy druid didn't quite turn out how I'd like, but it still works.  There is a great version of him on Board Game Geek that had an autumn color scheme so I tried to emulate that.  

The explorer was the last figure I did because he wasn't really that interesting.  I do like how his bags and pipes came out.  

I like how the rogue came out the best.  I decided early on that she's have purple hair and a purple color scheme.  One thing that annoyed me about her was the fact that I used several different types of black on her outfit, but it all just looks the same when all is said and done.  Still, I love how she turned out.

• By Thrym
      Once again my buddy with the minotaur character fixation asked me to find a minotaur for him that I can convert into a monk.  Given that most are armed and armored ... I understood his dilemma. 

Thrym's Table presents:

Spellcrow Minotaur as
      Minotaur Monk

Original marketing image; copyright Spellcrow Miniatures.

The first things that had to go were the axes.  The hands were attached to axes on a separate sprue and made it easy to remove them.  Next I drilled out the old handle and cleaned up the pins to the wrists.

Fairly easy so far.  I did it during game night while playing Talisman.  I was the Sprite.

Next I pared back the horns to create a pin and to create a better profile.  The stock horns seemed a bit out of proportion to him.  When I got home my original plan was to place pieces of mini cable ties to create a Karnak look for his fists.  The cable tie I started with worked to a point but wouldn't lay flat enough to his hand.  So time for idea #2, wire.  

As you can see, Karnak has bands around his hands.

That worked well.  That gave me the idea for a necklace or medallion swinging away from him.

Here he is...

Enjoy and stay tuned.  
    • By Glitterwolf
      Time to paint another bust.
      This one is from El Greco 1:12th scale and comes in a nice tin.

A depiction of a seasoned Crusader.
      I will paint him as a Knight Hospitaller instead of the often seen Knight Templars.

This means mine will have a Black Cape, A Red Surcoat and a White Cross.

• Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)