Sign in to follow this  
Redd Knekk

#03915 - Thregan Helmsplitter Duskwarden

Hi Folks,

Here is the mini im working on now. I am trying NMM and so I’ve watched a few tutorials and I’m getting lost in the process, unable to visualize what the final product should look like. 

The armor is my main focus, and the hammer too but less so. I started with black primer, then underpainted with shades of gray up to white where I thought the brightest parts should be. I then started blue on top and I can see the gradient somewhat.

My next step was to gradient the blue to white, then edge highlight, but I started trying this with the gray on the hammer and it all fell apart LOL. Like I said, I feel like I’m actually getting worse!

Anyway I’m in Rio this week and next on business but any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. The mini is unfinished so the cloak and front looks weird, but the real focus here is NMM. Thanks so much for your help!!

Daniel

BD333B6E-F2BC-4B07-8A81-4882A979ECFC.jpeg

E1E6BBB3-05A9-48EA-A2F0-034E0C0F72BA.jpeg

22E31F71-8A5D-4071-A0E0-D2DAC912C81C.jpeg

1094A4DF-D6F1-4582-9B45-B09D51AE2B03.jpeg

ok following up after 2 weeks on business out of country, and another week with the flu. I wish I hadn’t laid down blue for the armor, but I can honestly say that I had a few AHA moments while painting this thanks to everyone’s help and comments. I didn’t put much time into the face/clothes/accoutrements, but the armor and weapon were a good first study into NMM. Any C&C still very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Daniel

2ADBA1BC-95F8-43B6-B358-E504C4FF24E7.jpeg

86E9D269-7A7C-4F8E-BB06-85A01B165161.jpeg

EF7A1562-3119-40FB-B751-45EDE046B1C4.jpeg

Calling it done. Learned a lot and have a lot of practice ahead of me. Gonna take the pro’s advice here and practice NMM on straight edges. Got a good one lined up next. Cheers all and thanks again for the help!

@Xiwo Xerase thanks for the detailed instructions. I’ve digested it and am going to apply what you’ve said on the next one. This one was just a bit too tight so I kinda phoned it in on the clawed hammer. Redid the whole armor and hammer at least 3x, so just moving on with a blank slate. Hope to do better on the next one.

Daniel

37D6D230-B0F9-487C-AA7A-0F46E4AE3995.jpeg

Edited by Redd Knekk
WIP #3
  • Like 16

First: Don't worry.  I believe there is a point in every painted mini where it looks like crap and this is especially true for NMM.  So just keep going.

So what don't you like about the hammer?

Focusing on the head of the hammer:

• The gradients aren't there.  Each face should have a full gradient from near-black to midtone to near-white.  (On near horizontal round surfaces, like the rings on the hammer's handle or his shoulder plates, there would be two gradients, one from midtone to near-white and one from midtone to near-black, with the near-white and near-black adjacent to each other.)
  • On the claw end of the hammer, if you put your highlights at the top of each point of the claw end, there should be a shadow at the other end of each point.  On the panels next to them (which are almost vertical), you would do the opposite, with the shadow next to the claw tip highlight and the highlight next to the claw tip shadow.  Then on the middle panel, the highlight would be next to the shadow of the adjacent panels and the shadow would be next to the highlight of the adjacent panels.
  • I don't see any edge highlighting either, but let's not worry about that yet.
  • (It does look like you've lined between the parts of the hammer.  You'll need to do that for his armor too.)

One trick for making sure your highlight and shadow placement makes sense is to paint with your base coat and then block in your highest highlights (near-white) and darkest shadows (near-black).  It may make your mini look like dazzle camo but your gradient work will hide that soon enough.

Four tips I have for edge highlighting are:

• Use Pure White or a similar, well, pure white.
  • For hard edges (in this case, the squared edge of the hammer head at the end of the shaft), gently use the side of the brush to paint on the highlight.
  • For softer edges, use a brush with a fine point.
  • Keep another brush nearby so you can quickly wet it and use it to remove mistakes (or just thin the line you've painted).  (This is really, really important.  You don't want to have to redo your gradients again.)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

First: Don't worry.  I believe there is a point in every painted mini where it looks like crap and this is especially true for NMM.  So just keep going.

So what don't you like about the hammer?

Focusing on the head of the hammer:

• The gradients aren't there.  Each face should have a full gradient from near-black to midtone to near-white.  (On near horizontal round surfaces, like the rings on the hammer's handle or his shoulder plates, there would be two gradients, one from midtone to near-white and one from midtone to near-black, with the near-white and near-black adjacent to each other.)
  • On the claw end of the hammer, if you put your highlights at the top of each point of the claw end, there should be a shadow at the other end of each point.  On the panels next to them (which are almost vertical), you would do the opposite, with the shadow next to the claw tip highlight and the highlight next to the claw tip shadow.  Then on the middle panel, the highlight would be next to the shadow of the adjacent panels and the shadow would be next to the highlight of the adjacent panels.
  • I don't see any edge highlighting either, but let's not worry about that yet.
  • (It does look like you've lined between the parts of the hammer.  You'll need to do that for his armor too.)

One trick for making sure your highlight and shadow placement makes sense is to paint with your base coat and then block in your highest highlights (near-white) and darkest shadows (near-black).  It may make your mini look like dazzle camo but your gradient work will hide that soon enough.

Four tips I have for edge highlighting are:

• Use Pure White or a similar, well, pure white.
  • For hard edges (in this case, the squared edge of the hammer head at the end of the shaft), gently use the side of the brush to paint on the highlight.
  • For softer edges, use a brush with a fine point.
  • Keep another brush nearby so you can quickly wet it and use it to remove mistakes (or just thin the line you've painted).  (This is really, really important.  You don't want to have to redo your gradients again.)

Ermagawd thanks!! I’ve read this once, and I’ll continue to digest again and again until I get back to TX next week. Thanks so much and I’ll come back with response once I get back with my beloved mini. ;)

@Redd Knegg: Xiwo Xerase already gave you tons of cool tipps. I agree with all. I assume you wish to paint the whole armour in nmm? Or only the hammer?

At the moment my offtime is very rare and as said you`ve got already good advice. I will follow this thread and look and see how things develope here. For the case that one of my special photo edits are desperately needed I will make one at opportunity (when I`ll have off again), but for the moment try first what Xiwo Xerase told you. Trust your gut. Sounds like a silly advice, but it works. It works for all concerning painting. If you have got the feeling that it looks wrong, then mostlikely it actually looks wrong. If you have got the feeling it looks right, it looks mostlikely really right, also for others. For saving up time make a rough sketch first how Xiwo Xerase suggested. There we can see if you considered the highlights right. If not, there is a chance to correct this before you do blending.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have nightshift at the moment and normally no time. But tonight my nightshift was calm and I was curious how to paint this hammer, because this is really puzzling :lol: What a shape....

So I`ve tried. Unfortunately I couldn`t see how exactly the hammer is shaped. No way, because your painting masks a lot of detail and also the photo is not as well that I can see each little tiny thing there. This all looks very rounded and curved...pffff this is not so well for painting nmm.

Good are sharp edges, but here....no sharp edges at all it seems. So I partially had to guess the shape of the hammer and I found it hard to make it look like metal, I needed a couple of attempts. Was a hard job tonight with this photo edit and it will be way harder to paint it on the miniature. I considered about which way one could paint this and this is only a suggestion!!!

If someone else has a better idea, just go for it! This is just something I could imagine that it works with all this rounded shapes and which is something you are might able to paint.

I haven`t painted all smooth, it is not worked out until the very end, but it is worked out enough for you as a suggestion.

This hammer tips slightly over to the left and so the right side of it should caught up a bit more light and this was the idea for the highlighting here. I found this hammer is even hard to do just theoretical (considering how light could be reflected on it`s surfaces) it won`t be easier to paint, but that is actually the best idea I had. As said, if someone else finds a better way.....I also can change the photo edit for to try some suggestions by others. Or someone else grabs my photo edit and change it. No problem. Communication is all. :B):

The upper part is probably wrong, because I couldn`t see the shape exactly, but the lower 2 thirds will probably work.

As you see I also edited the white balance of your photo and made it neutral in it`s overall tone, because the reddish tone of your photo doesn`t help to make the nmm look metallic. The nmm is painted with bluegrey highlighted until white and shaded until black. Midtones are all bluegreys. If I paint nmm in real I mix blue already into my black, greys and even a little bit into white for the highlights. Only a very, very small area is actually white pure as well as also only a very small area is really black pure. 90% of my nmm steel is just greys from very dark to very bright in many, many tones.

RK edit 4.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2019 at 5:44 AM, vhaidra said:

Unfortunately I couldn`t see how exactly the hammer is shaped.

If it helps: Based on the picture on the Reaper site, the claw end is four spikes arranged around a tapering box.  They don't have a picture of the back of the mini though.

• Like 3

@Xiwo Xerase Ooops this looks completely different from what I`ve painted here lol. Thanks. Well, okay let`s wait for further pics from Redd Knegg. A profile view or other views in general would help.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2019 at 8:31 AM, Xiwo Xerase said:

If it helps: Based on the picture on the Reaper site, the claw end is four spikes arranged around a tapering box.  They don't have a picture of the back of the mini though.

On 5/26/2019 at 10:12 PM, vhaidra said:

@Xiwo Xerase Ooops this looks completely different from what I`ve painted here lol. Thanks. Well, okay let`s wait for further pics from Redd Knegg. A profile view or other views in general would help.

Sorry just now getting back, but I studied all your comments while in Rio these past few weeks. Thanks again so much, and I feel like I’ve got techniques to build on now, as well as studying light reflecting wherever I go. Cheers and have a great day!

• Like 4

On 6/12/2019 at 7:31 PM, Redd Knekk said:

Sorry just now getting back,

No problem. I`m completely relaxed in this issue, because I myself often need to make longer breaks in my forum activity and I also hope that no one has a problem with it. Take your time ::D:

• Thanks 1