Fencig

Gnolls, weasely and not too aggresive

so i finally got started on my story line i plan to do here. Modified 2 minis over the weekend and really thrilled with results. 5 hours on one and 8+ hours for other to do a death in combat scene. Kinda stuck on 2 of the  7 i need for the first chapter of my story. Gnolls,   looking for Gnolls that are not too big or too aggressive, need kinda weaselly looking  . This rules out all the Reapers which sucks for me as the bones  White material is a real joy to cut and move. These 2 are ok from Wiz-kids but darn the material is so hard I'll probably lose a finger cutting with a knife.

wzk72569.jpg

I might try a Jewelers saw which someone here kindly suggested but the cuts i need to make are often not straight cuts, I'm cutting along body lines and doing some really tough poses. So far my results i couldn't be happier with, the first 2 look like they came that way  from the factory.  Bad part is i now have the same expectations for the rest in the same quality. :(

These are perfect, (I'm guessing a resin?)  A Ben Siens sculpt for $22. for the 5  + ship,  but out of stock

HFMGNOLLS.jpg

I need a soft plastic and arms outstretched, not molded into the body of the mini.  Multi-packs are a plus too, since i need at least  2 of each type (4 total) Anyone got any idea's suggestions?

thanks

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fencig said:

These are perfect, (I'm guessing a resin?)  A Ben Siens sculpt for $22. for the 5  + ship,  but out of stock 

HFMGNOLLS.jpg

These are sold by Hasslefree, and they are metal, not resin. Sorry on that front. :(

49 minutes ago, Fencig said:

I need a soft plastic and arms outstretched, not molded into the body of the mini.

You may be out of luck finding any other gnolls in plastic if Reaper or Wizkids won't suite your needs. Of the all the mini companies that cater to D&D needs, most are smaller companies that don't have the resources to routinely do plastic. Most cast in metal.

That said, if you aren't opposed to metal casts, check out Otherworld Miniatures. They have a several gnolls available that might suit your needs, depending on your definition of weasley. Most of their sculpts are based on older versions of D&D.

• Like 2

thanks, that's kind of the conclusion i'm coming to as well. It's counter intuitive but metal is more common and accessible to smaller companies like you said. Other-world is fantastic but I won't do metals except as last resort.

I am taking a second look a the Reaper Gnoll Archer,  I already have 2 at home. A little on the large side but i could reposition both arms easily enough and remove the mane to make hims appear  less  aggressive.

Also found this guy on ebay,  perfect pose and demeanor, but at $4. + $3. shipping   it's a hard sell to justify for single game piece out of a box set .

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know how much success you'll have with this, but you could always look on Shapeways and see if anything there matches. The sculpts aren't always great, but they can be pretty affordable if you don't have huge expectations.

*If you aren't familiar with Shapeways, in addition to regular custom 3D printing for customers, it kind of functions like an Etsy shop for 3D files. People can upload their files and create a store, then Shapeways handles the printing and fulfillment. Might be worth a browse to see if they have any gnolls.

• Like 1

Why not get a sprue or box of the Northstar Frostgrave gnolls? They are a hard plastic kit, and are a lot smaller than the Reaper ones. Lots of ability to convert as well. 

• Like 3

thanks guys for the suggestion,

I'm not sure about 3d printing, I might look at it at some point for something larger or more complex, seems kinda overkill for 2 small minis and this project will take me weeks/months, so need to move on. Does anyone know what the turn around time is for 3d print is once you send the CAD file?

I did look at Frostgrave , they're actually 28mm scale, so i would think they're bigger no?  it's a cool set but $40. is more than i want to spend anyway, this is already becoming pretty pricey as i have to buy a minimum of 2 of each model.

I wound up pulling my Reaper gnolls out of their blister packs and lo and behold, they are really perfect. They look big and intimidating in the package but once out are quite different. They're actually smaller than the Wizkids i was planning to use, and the Archer was absolutely perfect to modify for what i needed.

Here's a sneak peek. One of the 2 Gnolls is done, he gets 2 poses (actually only needed one pose modified,  but the knocked arrow was just too tempting so i did it. )

The left arm is separate piece from the factory, so easy to pop out and move , the 2 right arms is where all the time went. For the other Gnoll i will use Bloodmane , the one with the Axe. 

Still need to flatten the tip of the arrow out into a broadhead but it's pretty  much ready for the Black base-coat)

1073171367_GnollArchermodify(2).thumb.JPG.aa7d4408c26e2b1900f25a8985a9dcc1.JPG

5 minis down, 5 left to convert. Then paint all 19 , ugghg :)

First chapter in Story line is 2 Gnolls,  2 Ogres, 5 mounted Knights, 4 Bugbears, + i need to build the terrain  stage to  photoshoot them in. These guys were pretty easy   though , maybe 5 to 6 hours for both .

Edited by Fencig
  • Like 7

There are lots of people on ebay who sell single sprues. The Northstar gnolls are about 7 to 10mm smaller than the Reaper ones, at least. The Reaper ones depict 7 foot tall creatures and the Northstar ones show a shorter creature, say 6 foot, and quite bent over. Am sure there are some pictures of "gnoll armies" where people have put the two together...

thanks, i did find some older talk here about the FG Gnolls and how small they are. There was a photo at some point comparing them but it's since been removed or dead link.  As you all pointed out, Gnoll Size is all over the place , even the 2 sets form Whizkids are very different.

At this point,   I'm committed to the Reaper Gnolls since they need to be about the same height ( they will be carrying something between them).   Have 2 "Bloodmanes" in my shopping cart holding and Axe. That will round out my Gnolls for now,