Sign in to follow this  
Sirithiliel

Dance of Death (Bones 4)

It is nothing fancy, but i'd be happy to go over the steps

1. Firstly, I basecoated the rock in a regular acrylic craft paint. I used Folk Art wrought iron for this rock (my other Dance of Death had the rock basecoated in folk art midnight blue)

2. A quick drybrush of white over the ridges

3. Now i break out the Reaper paints. I used 09322 Jungle mist for the upper edges of the rocks for that bleached stone look

4. 09460 Gnoll Pelt is the yellow green moss color that i do just under the jungle mist

5. 09411 Wilderness Green goes into the darker cracks

6. I also applied a bit of 09318 Carbon Grey mixed with some of the jungle mist to get the darker stone near the top and the darker crevice colors

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I was thinking of going with a dark gray as basecoat, then drybrush 2 lighter colours on top of that, and possibly a bit of a wash for some of the cracks.    

(I'm waiting for the missing half of my Bones4 paints to arrive, and yeah, it's the one with Heartwood and Carbon... )

That Wrougt Iron, is a metallic?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I was thinking of going with a dark gray as basecoat, then drybrush 2 lighter colours on top of that, and possibly a bit of a wash for some of the cracks.    

(I'm waiting for the missing half of my Bones4 paints to arrive, and yeah, it's the one with Heartwood and Carbon... )

That Wrougt Iron, is a metallic?

No. It is a cheap hobby lobby craftpaint. I find it useful for basecoating terrain. IT's dark but has a nice green tint to it

i also used it on my kaladrax, it's great for that sea-worn algae look. the wrought iron craft paint was the base for him, with proper bone colors layered on top of it

DSC01923.JPG

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 11

I figured it was a cheapo, but the name was rather ambigious about the effect. 

Adding a bit of metallic might give an interesting effect, though.    

Or possibly a bit of pearl... 

(I think I have some craft-type chocolate pearl in dropper bottle somewhere) 

I gave away most of my cheap craft paints a while ago. 

(all tubes, though, so not something I felt comfortable using)   

I really need to pick up a few big 'fillers' for bases like these.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snitchythedog said:

Looking very nice I.  Looks like you cat and mine agree on the best places to deposit hair.

sadly the cat mat that i took the pic on was the only real empty place i had right now to take photos at

• Haha 3

Just now, Sirithiliel said:

Sorry ti's taken so long!

I was more worried about the impending groan from my comment than the timeliness of the dragons. I have faith in you and am excited to see it finished (when it is ready).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Talae said:

I was more worried about the impending groan from my comment than the timeliness of the dragons. I have faith in you and am excited to see it finished (when it is ready).

haha oh i like puns and things like that so no worries there. The white dragon is nearly finished, but i have to decide the best way to highlight the black one

• Like 1