Sign in to follow this  
Sirithiliel

Dance of Death (Bones 4)

Wow, that white color scheme is 100 different kinds of awesome. It has a very definite "dragon of light" vibe to it. Almost has an angelic feel. When I ever get around to painting this, I don't know how I can avoid stealing this... what is seen cannot be unseen!

I know you said that the purple didn't work out for the dark dragon, but you might reconsider. I think some purple hues in the dark dragon would really work here, as yellow and purple are complementary colors. But I agree, not a warm purple, something cooler.

403382696_ScreenShot2019-11-05at12_02_41PM.png.5905a5d697bef1503459e5b8c9cc8904.png

Another option would be to play off of the angelic feel of the top dragon and maybe delve into the bottom dragon having more "demonic" characteristics. Maybe incorporate some reds into the scheme. I'm thinking something balrog-esque.

800700492_ScreenShot2019-11-05at12_24_08PM.png.b6cd66c8ac62b76bca1ea74b0b6ac40e.png

The balrog is a creature of shadow, but it emanates light. You don't have shadow without light, after all.

I guess the issue for me is that the contrast of the white with the sepia/yellow is so striking that it makes the dark dragon feel like it is lacking as much visual interest.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JabberwockP said:

I guess the issue for me is that the contrast of the white with the sepia/yellow is so striking that it makes the dark dragon feel like it is lacking as much visual interest.

I completely agree, which is why I have been having some trouble finding a color I am happy with for his highlighting 

• Like 1

Looks great! Love the idea of light against dark. I think the highlights are there, but I would increase contrast further for the shadows. Go really dark with successive glazes, to really delineate the scales and other details. 

• Like 1

I think you are on the right track with blue. 

If you have nightmare black, it is my go-to color for things like this. It thins out to a really nice indigo and plays well with other colors. It’ll give your blacks that cool, color saturated feel.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

Bad pictures, can't find a good spot to take good photos, but I think the Glacial Mist makes a good cold black highlight

IMG_20191211_104628.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 14

Working in a bit of the color, will need to go back and reapply black shadows 

Note: the yellow tinges are from bad lighting on the white dragon

IMG_20191216_173147.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 10