Venun

Basing question - materials to use

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

Don't need to MAKE cattails... 

Just get some small resistors or diodes (Through-hole version), and snip off one leg near the body of the component...  

Brilliant! I was an electronics hobbyist and this never occurred to me. 

• Like 2

Another material that comes in handy is good old drywall spackle. You can get it in small tubs on the cheap and they make some that is bright pink when wet but it dries white,so you can tell when it is all dry. It isn't strong like milliput or green stuff but for large areas of rocky surface it is much cheaper. 

• Like 3

I am lucky enough to live in an area where slate is common.  Small pieces of slate are flat enough to make great based with no real effort.

• Like 2

I use herbs and dry tea sometimes, I always spray antishine varnish over the base when done.

That won't rot.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I use herbs and dry tea sometimes, I always spray antishine varnish over the base when done.

That won't rot.

If I remember correctly there's a video from German Tabletop Workshop where they used Herbs to create a junkyard scenic base. worked quite well.

• Like 2

A really clever tip I've got on a basing workshop: If you want to have things on your base that looks like earth, then take earth. Important for this is to dry the earth.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 1:37 AM, Gadgetman! said:

A broken watch?   

I picked up some watch bits advertised for steampunk on eBay, to make a Tinkerer base for the Gloomhaven character (and as bits for CMON's Rise of Moloch). Much faster than conventional basing!

Vallejo makes texture paint, but look for a cheap tube of coarse texture gel, at the arts and craft store. It's even cheaper after the chain store's coupon. Not only is it good for texture, you can use it to fill in large gaps, such as a slottabase. I picked up Vallejo Plastic Putty as a gap filler, but I'm sure it can be used for various basing ideas as well, such as adding a smooth layer on top of the coarse texture gel.

• Like 1

Thanks for the many, many advices everyone! I'll be sure to read this thread over multiple times. I've got cork coming, will look into those tiny shells as I've recently done a Kraken (re-used Squid kid's toy) and looking to put something on his body and on a base to complete it :) 

Will experiment sometimes on Epoxy's, but for right now that's still a step to far :) 

I've read that birdseed is also a very good basing material, haha :)

Will let you know how the attempts go once I get around to basing something soonish, waiting for the chinese cork to arrive first xD

• Like 1

Lots of good stuff mentioned here already. Additionally I would recommend checking out James Wappel's blog and YouTube. He is a master at making bases. Also check out some of Clever Crow's work. He is another person I've taken some inspiration from. There was a basing thread I started years ago, if I can find it I'll link here. 

Green Stuff World has some terrific resources for basing including texture rollers and leaf punches. 

• Like 1

Ye Greenstuff world has amazing stuff. My leap into Green stuff will come. For now i'm just filling potholes with Liquid Green Stuff xD

GSW is quite an investment, but someday I'll order a nice roller pin from it I think :)