Sign in to follow this  
Kangaroorex

Ral Partha's Ghost Dragon

I am taking am attempt at Ral Partha's Ghost dragon.  The box art does him in white but I wanted something different. I wanted to play with color making him red from the top down, blue from the bottom up but making the transition acceptably smooth when liked at from the side..Ill say up front this is not the easiest dragon to work with.  Have I gone wrong?  I would like some opinions on the roughed out paint scheme as well as some suggestions for the eye and mouth color.  Originally I was considering him for a playful ghost but more and more he is looking like more nightmare than daydream 

And sorry for the pictures, I just snapped them off my (rather messy) paint station

From the side:

20190524_101916.thumb.jpg.c3f087c7b3b8b38985988455e8264293.jpg

Top down

20190524_102006.thumb.jpg.06e8c639f40128882be9224b1fa7aa84.jpg

Bottom up

20190524_102134.thumb.jpg.1c868d20f4d83c2d25751cb6f955562b.jpg

• Like 10

i like the colors! i personally would do the eye a bright yellow to contrast and pop against the rest of the body, and i feel like the mouth could be interesting in a green color. But that's just me

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love those colors too! I think the purple/orange gives him an almost psychedelic feel which is very unique. Right now the tail does look a bit muddled, but you might be able to fix that by making the transition between the two colors more crisp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These colors are full of win.

I'd agree that a bright yellow might be a good contrast to the body. Reaper's Ghostly Moss could also foot the bill.

• Thanks 1

I'll just say that I painted one of these years ago. It's a cool figure, but not the easiest to work with IMO.

I like what you've done.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i like the colors! i personally would do the eye a bright yellow to contrast and pop against the rest of the body, and i feel like the mouth could be interesting in a green color. But that's just me

Thanks.  the trick i have there is bringing out the color.  the eyes are recessed a good 2 mm, making them really shadowed.  The mouth being a glowing green could be spectacular though.  I will give it a try today.

15 minutes ago, Fire_Eyes said:

I love those colors too! I think the purple/orange gives him an almost psychedelic feel which is very unique. Right now the tail does look a bit muddled, but you might be able to fix that by making the transition between the two colors more crisp

I cant make up my mind whether there is one tail or 2 so i cant decide whether to split the colors with a crisp delineation or if is should be trying to blend the two together.  I went with the blend and that really isnt working so i will go back and try for the crisp split.  Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Sanael said:

These colors are full of win.

I'd agree that a bright yellow might be a good contrast to the body. Reaper's Ghostly Moss could also foot the bill.

The Ghostly moss sounds like a good choice for the mouth.  I will give it a try.

• Like 2

I love the choice of colours!

It's almost like he's made of magical fire.

• Like 3

Great colors!  I would say yellow for the eyes and a spectral green of some sort for his mouth.  He's going to be awesome when you're done!

• Like 1

This is what you see if you eat goblin mushrooms. Fantastic and hallucinatory in the best way! Keep us posted on future developments; this is great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure if I'm going completely in the right direction here.  I cleaned up the division line between the red and blue and I think for the body, i need to put the purple zone between the primary colors back.  The red is going pretty well but I'm not happy with the blue.

I added ghostly moss to the mouth and yellow for the eyes.  With some thought I did overcoat both the eyes and mouth with a fluorescent pigment and I may add more of that to the dragon body to experiment, I have the colors from scale 75, can't think of a better use than a ghost.  Any way let me know what you think.  Tomorrow I will probably put the purple between the body colors and work on some highlights and shadows

20190525_015622.thumb.jpg.b6d56d542ab156f01b82bab234800872.jpg

20190525_015708.thumb.jpg.1b11e0f9febc42f29ad1f2f81262a9a8.jpg

20190525_015738.thumb.jpg.1a59810ebb077d83b480dde4ff46e2ee.jpg

20190525_015829.thumb.jpg.704060967197c2c561357e88ee83618b.jpg

On the flourescents, this is a green in the mouth and a yellow on the horns and eyes but under blacklight the really don't show much difference.  They really are very transparent colors

Thanks again 

• Like 7

Looking good, it's a really unique take on a classic mini. I love the colours- he reminds me of a Malawi Cichlid that I used to have.