Jump to content

Rackham Barbarian


72moonglum
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I always liked the metal Rackham minis!

You did a great job, good skin and face, love that sword!

I've always seen, at least on line, their little chaotic looking dwarves, but wasn't so aware of their barbarians.

 

Hopefully the sword doesn't look too unsmoothly blended!

2 hours ago, Fire_Eyes said:

That skin is AWESOME!

Thanks Fire-Eyes, it started out with Reaper's Tanned Skin, then lots of different washes and highlights up to white!

57 minutes ago, Warlady said:

Great job!  Rackham made wonderful miniatures - I have a whole Wolfen army to paint at some point.  Fantastic job on his skin and armor!  The receiver of this commission should be very happy.

I hope he is, he should be receiving it tomorrow if all goes well!

19 minutes ago, Rigel said:

Rackham (both the artist and the company) had a gift for expression and character, and so do you! Great stuff. Scale armor in particular is very well done.

Was the artist's name Rackham? I know very little about the company.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 72moonglum said:
2 hours ago, Rigel said:

Rackham (both the artist and the company) had a gift for expression and character, and so do you! Great stuff. Scale armor in particular is very well done.

Was the artist's name Rackham? I know very little about the company

The company is named after Victorian/Edwardian-era fantasy illustrator Arthur Rackham, I believe. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, 72moonglum said:

Was the artist's name Rackham? I know very little about the company.

 

Rackham was a French gaming company that produced *gorgeous* metal miniatures for their tabletop skirmish game, Confrontation, which was quite a lot of fun.  They also put out a ruleset for a small team skirmish variant called Dogs of War - also a blast to play.  There were a number of related games as well, all based in the same world.  Their artwork was spectacular, and their rule books were worth the price just to look at the beautiful pictures.  After many trials and tribulations, the company folded in, I think, about 2010.  Since then, the game has been picked up without any great success by several other companies.  But you can still find their original metal minis on eBay.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Warlady said:

 

Rackham was a French gaming company that produced *gorgeous* metal miniatures for their tabletop skirmish game, Confrontation, which was quite a lot of fun.  They also put out a ruleset for a small team skirmish variant called Dogs of War - also a blast to play.  There were a number of related games as well, all based in the same world.  Their artwork was spectacular, and their rule books were worth the price just to look at the beautiful pictures.  After many trials and tribulations, the company folded in, I think, about 2010.  Since then, the game has been picked up without any great success by several other companies.  But you can still find their original metal minis on eBay.

Thanks for the information Warlady, I wasn’t really that aware of the company. I figured they were still operating. One interesting thing vos it looks like they might have made plastic as well? I had the option of either painting a metal or plastic version, but in the end decided on the metal one due to the crisper detail. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Thanks for the information Warlady, I wasn’t really that aware of the company. I figured they were still operating. One interesting thing vos it looks like they might have made plastic as well? I had the option of either painting a metal or plastic version, but in the end decided on the metal one due to the crisper detail. 

 

The plastics are inferior IMHO, in the end the company died.

Go for the metals from Rackham they are beautiful, just beware of flimsy, tiny joints when you get the ones that need assembly.

The creators were always more concerned with the looks and less with miniature building mechanics.

 

I had Zombie Cavalry that looked awesome when painted, but assembling those tiny arms to the bodies and then adding a shield was ...interesting.

Still worth it though.

Look for the Drune ( Evil Barbarians) especially the ones on the massive warhorses.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

 

The plastics are inferior IMHO, in the end the company died.

Go for the metals from Rackham they are beautiful, just beware of flimsy, tiny joints when you get the ones that need assembly.

The creators were always more concerned with the looks and less with miniature building mechanics.

 

I had Zombie Cavalry that looked awesome when painted, but assembling those tiny arms to the bodies and then adding a shield was ...interesting.

Still worth it though.

Look for the Drune ( Evil Barbarians) especially the ones on the massive warhorses.

After doing this miniature I did see some female barbarians also that looked pretty nice!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By Inarah
      From the Kid Heroes set:  
       

       
       
    • By Inarah
      I have to confess when I pulled this guy out of the core set I thought it was a goblin. In particular, it reminded me of a certain space goblin that backwards talks in riddles he does, mmmn.   So he's green.  
       

       
       
    • By R2ED
      Finally got back on to some painting.  It was a minor win, but just basing this dude feels good to be done.  One cool thing i thought was fun is that i put a footprint in the mud under his left foot.  Kind of a small, but cool detail. 
       
      Done. 
    • By R2ED
      Got another one down for the weekend. 

       
       
       
      This time paying special attention to the face and eyes.  @Inarahmentioned to me to lighten things up a little.  So, I took her advice.  I think it turned out for the best!
       
      BATTLE REPORT!
       
      Wins:
      *  Taking way more time around the face this time and really putting a lot of work into leveling up the color step by step with really thin paint worked well.  VMC Burnt Red and VMC Flat Flesh was a good blend together.  I think in the face, I could have added a bit more fare skin, but hey, he's a barbarian.  He's not going for a "best skin" award, he's going for best raging out award.
      *  The bone, leather, fur was a really fun combination to work on. I kept things pretty simple and the variation between all of them were pretty complementary.  
      *  Again using the zenithal highlight really helped features stand out and give me a good starting point. 
      *  Stages: Skin, then leather elements, then accessories, then weapons.  The working method inside to out went great.  
      *  I really like the way the scabbard came out, but I kind of thing it was supposed to be straight up and down and not off to the side, but I hate when it's up and down because it'd be impossible to get the sword out of.  However, the downside is the scabbard has NO detail behind it and it's jutting out, which Ididn't think about when I glued it in place.  Wah wah.
      *  Free hand on the handle.  I added the little black/brown element on the sword handle.  I am pretty happy with that.  I think it's a nice slight add.
       
      Misses:
      *  Loin cloth was a deep red I was trying to lighten up.  I used a light grey, didn't work.  Then I tried white - pink?  Do you think a barbarian is going to wear pink?  "I reckon' you get your broccoli kicked for wearing something like that."  In thinking about it I could have pushed it to orange for the highlight.  Doh!
      *  Eyes - I did them better this time, to @Inarah's point, but I didn't have enough room to get much else in there.  I was also at a points where I knew if I tried to fix it, it was only going to get worse, so I called it where it was.  Meh.
      *  Sword - just a basic steel.  I tried to use a black wash on the bottom side of the blade to give it shading, but you really can't see it on the photo.  It's nothing special, and again, I wish it was more...anything.  It's pretty basic.
       
      I'm reallllly looking forward to putting a base on this one. Needs to be something epic, so this will be a special one.  I'm very, very happy with how this turned out and feel it's a good spot to stop for the weekend.  Yay!
       
      As always - open to feedback and would love your thoughts.
       

       
       

    • By thefub
      My first figure 2021. I started painting about 2 years and took a year+ off from it. I decided to get back into and got some new paints and brushes for Xmas. Still working on my technique and would like to hear your opinion.


×
×
  • Create New...