Ok so I'm not new to painting (maybe not at this small scale but I've done action figures a lot) but I've never worked pewter, or needed to use primer or sealer, or had to base, so... Here's four really dumb newbie questions I'd love to get answers to.

Primer: Can I use my normal paint brushes to apply primer? Or should I get a dedicated brush?

Sealer: Same question...

Basing: Not decorating the base but gluing a mini to the base. Not slotted minis but plastic, unslotted minis and figurines... Can I use regular superglue for this, or should I get something different? I've seen crafters use something called "E6000", am I better off seeking that out?

Repairs: Oof. The less newbie question... I have a Mage Knight tiger-man mini that's missing the claws on its right hand, I'd love to repaint it as Final Fantasy 1's interpretation of a Rakshasa (the Mancat if you remember the NES game) but I want to fix these tiny tiny details... could really use ideas.

Thanks for any input I could get on this!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Ok so I'm not new to painting (maybe not at this small scale but I've done action figures a lot) but I've never worked pewter, or needed to use primer or sealer, or had to base, so... Here's four really dumb newbie questions I'd love to get answers to.

Primer: Can I use my normal paint brushes to apply primer? Or should I get a dedicated brush?

Two separate questions:

• You can use normal paint brushes to apply primer.
  • But primer (real primer, not paint branded as primer, which is out there) can be a bit harsher on brushes than paint. I do almost all my priming with either an airbrush or a rattlecan, so it doesn't come up often, but I don't usually switch brushes for brush-on primer.

Definitely clean the brush after priming, though.

BTW, if it's not hot and humid, rattlecan primer works great on metal minis.

If the sealer is water-soluble (not a hydrocarbon fluid, which is mostly to say, "smelly"), I've never had a problem using my regular brushes. Water-based sealers tend to be all or mostly acrylic medium (paint without pigment), which is what the brushes are meant to be used with. If you tend to get the sealer up into the ferrule of the brush, though, you might want to go with a cheaper brush. In either case, make sure you clean your brush well afterwards.

Basing: Not decorating the base but gluing a mini to the base. Not slotted minis but plastic, unslotted minis and figurines... Can I use regular superglue for this, or should I get something different? I've seen crafters use something called "E6000", am I better off seeking that out?

For plastic minis, I mostly use super glue. If I start having problems, I typically go directly to 5 minute epoxy.

Repairs: Oof. The less newbie question... I have a Mage Knight tiger-man mini that's missing the claws on its right hand, I'd love to repaint it as Final Fantasy 1's interpretation of a Rakshasa (the Mancat if you remember the NES game) but I want to fix these tiny tiny details... could really use ideas.

I would probably drill very small holes into the hand and glue in thin wire. Then, with the wire as an armature, I'd use greenstuff to sculpt the new claws. FWIW, I wouldn't trust the putty by itself to be sufficiently durable in that application.

Thanks for any input I could get on this!

HTH

• Like 4

Best brush for the best job. Or, rather, don't waste your expensive hobby brushes when a cheap one will do! You can get some inexpensive natural hair brushes at Walmart or the arts and craft store, to apply primer, sealer (?), washes, and even basecoats.

Superglue is just fine, at least at the newbie level. You don't need to break your wallet buying the expensive specialized stuff for now. You *do* want to learn how to pin miniatures. Search on "two minute tutorial pinning" for some Secret Weapon Miniature pinning tutorials.

Converting miniatures depends on what sculpts you can use to make the miniature. See if you can find a HeroClix figure whose right hand has claws (eg. Wolverine) that you can use for your figure. Much easier than sculpting a new hand. Online game stores sell individual HeroClix miniatures.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

My 2 cents: don't use a nice/expensive brush to apply primer. Like spray primers, brush-on primers have things in them to give them that "tooth" (I really hate that term, "grip" is better IMO) for paint to adhere to. That stuff can damage the bristles over time, so I would not use an expensive brush to apply it. A decent $2-3 nylon/taklon brush from a craft store is perfect for brush-on priming (or use one of your expensive brushes that is old and too worn down to do regular brush work).

Acrylic water-based sealers don't have the same issues as primer, so you should be good to use whatever brush you want. Like Doug said, rinse/clean your brush well afterwards.

Next best advice I can give for brushes on priming and sealing: just make sure the brush you use gives you enough control so you can get the primer/sealer on evenly. Cheapest may sound great, but if that cheap brush causes you to glob stuff on so you lose all that detail, was it worth it?

Superglue pretty much the standard.

That E6000, you probably see crafters using it because on a cost:volume ratio, it's cheaper than superglue (I am guessing you watch DM Scotty on youtube? He uses it all the time). It is also a bit flexible when it dries, so it isn't bad to use for putting the mini to it's base, but I wouldn't use it to attach an arm or head to your mini. It's pretty thick, you might use too much if you tried to do that.

I'd typically do what Doug said, but that depends on if you are comfortable working with greenstuff/sculpting putty. Ced's suggestion is also good. My suggestion depends on the size/lengths of the claws: buy some strip styrene and cut/trim pieces down to the size you want, then attach them. Again, that depends on how big the claws are, probably works better for claws like Wolverine's than for long fingernails.

-MvM

• Like 5

Primer: I would recommend a dedicated brush. I will however qualify that suggestion with the fact I've never used brush on primer, but that is what I've heard.

Sealer: This certainly needs a dedicated paintbrush. 

Basing: For gluing a mini to the base you can use just about anything you want really. I use Locktite and haven't had any problems.

Repairs: Green stuff would probably work great for that but I cannot offer you any advice on how to use it/do it since I have never used it.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that you will typically thin brush-on primers, and one way to give you a head start on your painting is to thin them with inks (or washes, or whatever has a water-like consistency), such as Liquitex Inks, from the art store. Frex, if you're painting a shield yellow, prime the shield with white brush-on primer thinned with yellow ink. You can purchase Liquitex inks at arts and craft stores, the chain stores usually have a discount coupon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ced1106 said:

I forgot to mention that you will typically thin brush-on primers

What brush-on primer are you using? I use Vallejo Surface Primer, never needed to thin it. I've only used Vallejo brush-ons though, so I don't have experience with other brands (I do have a bottle of Reaper black, never used it though).

• Like 1

Vallejo Game Color and Reaper Brush-on Primer.

Will check out the VSP's -- I have a dark green, and thought I thinned it, but don't remember! :upside:

• Like 1

Basing:

Plastic to plastic:  I use Testors Liquid Plastic Model Cement or superglue.

Resin: Superglue

Metal: Pin to base and glue with superglue.

• Like 1

To answer a few quick questions that got repeated, my brush-on primers and sealers are Reaper, my unbased minis are plastic (a few Tehnolog orcs and goblins, Marvel Handful Of Heroes and Heroclix stuff for the small and medium stuff, plus Papo, Schleich, plus some cheapo dollar store critters, Chinasaurs and knockoff monsters for good measure). The miniature with the broken claws is the Werecat... Very small detail... (had to google it because mine was unbased so I didn't have its name)

Mage-Knight-Dungeons-Werecat-031-NM.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

To answer a few quick questions that got repeated, my brush-on primers and sealers are Reaper, my unbased minis are plastic (a few Tehnolog orcs and goblins, Marvel Handful Of Heroes and Heroclix stuff for the small and medium stuff, plus Papo, Schleich, plus some cheapo dollar store critters, Chinasaurs and knockoff monsters for good measure). The miniature with the broken claws is the Werecat... Very small detail... (had to google it because mine was unbased so I didn't have its name)

Mage-Knight-Dungeons-Werecat-031-NM.jpg

To fix the broken claw, remove any of the remaining claw.   Drill a hole with a pin vise and insert a small pin secured with super glue.  Use greenstuff, (or favorite air dry sculpting medium) to sculpt new claw. Alternatively, you could also use some plastic rod or wood carved to shape.

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 6:22 PM, BlazingTornado said:

I try to use a dedicated brush for my sealer to avoid having any colored paint contaminating my paint jobs during sealing. I clean my brushes but every so often when I'd use my regular brushes to seal a little fleck of old paint would find its way into my figure. Usually on the face or somewhere equally as inconvenient. I'd recommend making sure your water is clean when sealing for the same reason

• Like 3

I wouldn't use my finest brushes for priming or sealing, if for no other reason than they are too small for covering an entire figure. Plus, while they seem to last forever, there is no reason to add additional wear to them.

I use hobby store superglue for about everything. The stuff I buy comes in 3 different thicknesses and used to be called Zap-a-gap (not sure if that brand is still available).

While it's possible to sculpt a new claw from green stuff, I think it would be easier to find a mini with a hand you like,  cut it off, and graft it on your rakshasa. I'd definitely use a pin, but it doesn't need to be very long at all.

• Like 3

You could also just buy another werecat on eBay. eBay occasionally has a coupon or other offer, and someone will post news on a gaming news or "hot deals" forum.

Or search for a 3D sculpt of the mancat. I found various FF 3D printed figures, so you could contact whoever made the FF figure if they know where you could get a .stl file of a mancat.

The Crealty Ender 3 is often recommended as a 3D printer. Expensive if you're only going to print one figure, of course... :upside:  : https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/b744z2/creality_ender_3_3d_printer/

• Like 1

Remember that rakshasas have their hands on backwards...you'll need a swap  no matter what unless you sculpt the hands yourself. 
I'm looking forward to this!