Jump to content

72moonglum

Ral Partha Julie Guthrie Archer

Recommended Posts

Good job as always.

 

The way you paint faces on these little minis is awesome!

I like the colours, clearly he hides in fields of flowers to pelt his enemies with arrows.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a real flair for the tiny Old Partha pieces; I do hope you have an annual eye exam. The Archer painted up WONDERFULLY with a BEAUTIFULLY expressive face. VERY WELL DONE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Good job as always.

 

The way you paint faces on these little minis is awesome!

I like the colours, clearly he hides in fields of flowers to pelt his enemies with arrows.

He’s an alternative colored ranger, so he can lie down in a field of lavender and when you are least expecting, he pulls up from the field to put an arrow in your hind parts, kind of like Rambo emerging from mud....

10 hours ago, Warlady said:

Ooh, I like the lavender shirt!  Nice non-traditional colors on this one.

Thank you very much Warlady!

4 hours ago, malefactus said:

You have a real flair for the tiny Old Partha pieces; I do hope you have an annual eye exam. The Archer painted up WONDERFULLY with a BEAUTIFULLY expressive face. VERY WELL DONE!

Thank you Malefactus for your concern about my visual health.  Eye exam regularly, at the ripe old age of 51, I’m sporting multi-focal lenses so that I can actually see what I’m painting I’ve had to resort now for years a good set of cheap nerd goggles, a magnifying headset that I’ve gotten historically super cheaply from Harbor Freight, an economy hardware store.

Edited by 72moonglum
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I become a fan of your Ral Partha paintjobs. First: It is cool to see this old sculpts painted again so lovely and second I like your painting style a lot. Very clean, good depth, nice and smooth blending work and on top great faces. Thumbs up!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, vhaidra said:

I become a fan of your Ral Partha paintjobs. First: It is cool to see this old sculpts painted again so lovely and second I like your painting style a lot. Very clean, good depth, nice and smooth blending work and on top great faces. Thumbs up!!!

Thank you Vhaidra, I really enjoy painting these miniatures. There are so many of these floating around in the nerdiverse that I wish more people would paint them, especially seeing how talented painters aré nowadays. People are mostly attracted to the latest and greatest though it seems, not so much for things sculpted 30-40 years ago. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, klarg1 said:

Classic, and nicely painted.

Thank you very much Klarg1, he's certainly old enough to be classic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Thank you Vhaidra, I really enjoy painting these miniatures. There are so many of these floating around in the nerdiverse that I wish more people would paint them, especially seeing how talented painters aré nowadays. People are mostly attracted to the latest and greatest though it seems, not so much for things sculpted 30-40 years ago. 

 

I know what you mean. I also still own a lot of old sculpts and consider to paint a couple of them. Especially Ral Partha produced a lot of unique and intresting sculpts. Looking forward to your next paintjobs ::D:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, vhaidra said:

 

I know what you mean. I also still own a lot of old sculpts and consider to paint a couple of them. Especially Ral Partha produced a lot of unique and intresting sculpts. Looking forward to your next paintjobs ::D:

You really should paint a few old pieces, they are always great fun. You're a wonderful painter, you'd certainly bring out all the old classic detail!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

You really should paint a few old pieces, they are always great fun. You're a wonderful painter, you'd certainly bring out all the old classic detail!

 

Thanks, but this has to wait. I have approximately 7 or even 9 wips at the moment (I actually stopped counting them) :lol: I just started too many paintjobs, it is time that I seriously try to finish at least a couple of them first and in my case this take ages. But later there is a chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vhaidra said:

 

Thanks, but this has to wait. I have approximately 7 or even 9 wips at the moment (I actually stopped counting them) :lol: I just started too many paintjobs, it is time that I seriously try to finish at least a couple of them first and in my case this take ages. But later there is a chance.

No problem, I’m patient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By lazarp
      I've got this mini in the legend of drizzt board game last december and I just hated it right off the bat. The weird pose, lack of details, undefined face, I could go on... Also, something that was quite striking about it was the lack of feminine detalis and a kind of a masculine look of the female ranger  It looked to me more like a man dressed as a female ranger, and I found that quite funny and promising!
       

       
      As I've thought more about it, it reminded me of Doris from "Sherk" and Okama characters from "One Piece", which I both love!
       


       
      So those characters inspired me to paint Catti in a similar fashion, which I believe gave the mini much needed character. I like how it turned out and I think she will make an interesting pc or npc in our dnd campaign! 
      Enjoy! 
       

       
    • By lazarp
      So this is the test figure for my orc warband for frostgrave and mordhein (WIP thread here)
       
      I like the palette so far and I'm happy how this guy turned out. I will post other minis as I paint them. Cheers! 
       


       
       
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello guys and gals,
       
      so I've been wanting to paint some dinosaurs for a while, so here is my first official one, a ceratosaurus, sculpted by Dennis Mize in the early eighties for his Ral Partha range Children of the Night.
       
      As always, the hardest part was to come up with a color scheme as I keep thinking "dinosaurs - green or grey" and don't really want to fall in to that trap at all. I've got more of them so I want to try different color schemes and patterns, maybe some stripes and spots and what not.
       

       
      This is one of the bigger ones I have. He's on a oval base probably for 50mm figures I'm guessing?  Can't actually remember where I found the base, but glad I had it sitting around.
       
      As I look at Mize's figures from this period and with all his dinosaurs and prehistoric beasts, I wish he would have made some cavemen as well.  He did some primitive-looking figures later with his Beastmasters, but I would have really liked just some shaggy-haired guys and gals to accompany all these beasts.
    • By 72moonglum
      Hi guys,
       
      two more figures that I just finished, really simple paint jobs with limited color palettes and being animals and all. They are both sculpted by Dennis Mize back in the day and came from his Children of the Night series.
       
      I did the Hunting Cat in pure black with some highlights and for the Therapsid, I kind of wanted him pale, and unhealthy looking. He reminds me a little bit of a not-so naked mole rat:
       

       
      Pretty simple and straight-forward figures, didn't take too long to paint. The hunting cat really only took a few hours, and the Therapsid a little bit more because he was three colors.  Anyway, hope you enjoy these little specimens of wildlife!
    • By 72moonglum
      And my last figure from this week, a giant rat,  sculpted way long ago by the immortal Julie Guthrie. I should have taken a comparison shot for this one, as he's really small, but you can probably guess because his base is one of those itty bitty bases I think used for 15 mm figures, not sure where I scored them from. They might have come with the familiars in some Stonehaven Kickstarter. 
       
      Being that I couldn't take the Friday after July 4th off, because the rest of my department already had dibs, I ended up taking Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, as well as today and I've had some pretty productive painting mornings, so got lots done and this is another one of those figures:
       
      He's slightly out of focus but he's really, really small.. One one of the angles you can see a little piece of flash I couldn't get rid of.
       
      Anyway, enjoy once again! More figures in a few days!
  • Who's Online   20 Members, 0 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)

×