• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      Been working on a series of monster hunters from the Early Modern Era, and of course that means we need early modern monsters!

The Vampire, of course, is one of the most versatile classics. Polidori, the "Varney" authors, LeFanu, and Stoker popularized the concept and promoted the bloated varcolac or shambling nach-zerer to the aristocracy. The variety is almost infinite, but nowadays we expect them to be parasitic, narcissistic, obsessive, entitled, compelling, rule-bound, and of course, literally blood-thirsty. 

Here's one such vampire, the beautiful Jahenna. Alluring, beguiling, deceptive. This is one of the crispest, cleanest sculpts I've encountered with regard to hands and hair. The conveniently-non-cruciform gravestone she's sitting on bears the legend "Mircalla RIP," a nod to LeFanu's "Carmilla" (source of the Vampire Anagram trope). The dress is very Jessica Rabbit-esque and my first attempt at fabric semitranslucency. Could probably have pushed those highlights more.

Matthias the Twisted, on the other hand, is a very different flavor of vampire. He gets the full Murnau/Schreck treatment. Grotesquerie, disfigurement, corruption, contagion. An asymmetric bogey, horrific, athirst, more rat than bat or wolf. I do love the adorable little plague rats around and on him. 

• By planetmut
      Foxtrot was fun to paint. She comes with two bodies, two heads and two sets of weapons so it's possible to make her up as a crazy-haired gasmask-wearing nutter or Hasslefree's version of Furiosa from Mad Max: Fury Road. As you can see, I decided on the crazy-haired gasmask-wearing nutter.

Her right hand is separate, so fun and games ensued trying to get it glued to her wrist. I didn't dare attempt to drill/pin it as there was barely enough space for the drill bit and I had visions of wrecking the metal. The stock of her AK was on the verge of falling off, so I just did away with it. Her base is the usual Liquitex modelling paste, sand and paint.

• By Maledrakh
      This mini is called "Vorvorlaka" and is from the Bones 3 kickstarter, Graveyard expansion. I based it on a 30mm lipped base.

The obligatory size comparisons...

77631 Vorvorlaka
      Reaper Miniatures, Bones 3 KS 2015, Graveyard expansion
      Sculpted by Bob Ridolfi
      30mm base
      available from reapermini.com

Here shown with Reaper 80068 Victorians and North Star's Pulp Heroes: The Film Crew sculpted by Bob Murch
      click the pic to enlarge

• By Inarah
      More undead for the table top, because you can never have too many. 

These guys bring me to 56 minis painted for the year. 

• By planetmut
      It took me ages to choose a colour scheme for the Valkeeri Leader. I eventually decided on Army Painter Shining Silver to go with the whole pulp scifi theme, and VGC Warlock Purple because why not. I was worried the silver bits of her uniform would look like armour instead of metallic cloth but I think it's turned out OK. For once I managed to get her eyes to a decent standard and her hair came out looking good too. Her gun is VMC Brass, toned down with VGC Sepia Wash and Liquitex matte varnish. Her lips are a tiny dab of VMC Brown Rose.

I forgot about her cape until I was finished with her, so it got a few thin coats of Warlock Purple and then began the fun and games of gluing it to the figure. Four attempts later I got it in what I hope is the right position and touched up the purple.

• Who's Online   56 Members, 1 Anonymous, 275 Guests (See full list)