Rigel attempts Wyrmgear!

Picked this beauty up cheap a year ago as a FLGS was liquidating some old stock. Now, I have time and a better understanding of some skills. And my love of metallics is a matter of public record. 

Here's my start on the body: ArmyPainter Rough Iron above, DecoArt Rich Espresso brass on the sides, DecoArt Worn Penny copper below. I'll paint the smokestacks and dorsal engine in steel colors. The legs I'm still working out, but they will probably have much the same metals. I'm trying to avoid golds on this. 
DSCN6389.thumb.JPG.c1122c6647a0b18781e7633f0facb888.JPGDSCN6390.thumb.JPG.21912689c5e747c1986dad65f960c138.JPGDSCN6435.thumb.JPG.512725955b59f2310f4826faa5b7e3bd.JPG

I'm not sure what to do with those innards. Leather bellows? Leaf springs? A red-glowing internal furnace, as on the box art? I dunno, what do you think?

One major thing I want to do is leave Wyrmgear as a drake for now so we can show off those dorsal smokestacks. No wings, just a 40-foot smoke-belching mechanical killing machine. I might mod on an elaborate array of exhaust pipes near the wings, as on a souped-up hot rod engine. 

Why? Partly because have you SEEN some of the other Wyrmgears here, with the chrome wings and the flawless fantasy landscape painting wings and etc? I can't compete with that! And partly because, while I can't compete with magnificent wing art, I can spatchcock aberrant machines together as well as the next fella, and I want to use those wings for a steampunk flying machine, an ungodly hybrid of von Zeppelin and Lilienthal. I've got some ping-pong balls and Christmas ornaments just begging to be made into balloons for this purpose...

• Like 22

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Very cool idea to use thwings for another contraption!

As for Wyrmgear himself, good start!

I would try to paint the innards as glowing, red or maybe plasma blueish?

Thank you--and plasma blue is just the inspiration I needed! Good call. 

3 hours ago, blargney said:

Great idea to remove the wings!  That should look really good. :-)

For the innards: maybe some antifreeze green, like a transparent radiator?

Appreciate it--i've got plans for those wings! 
Oooo, green is a good call too. Decisions! 

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Whoooooooo, another Wyrmgear thread! ^_^

Yay! It's a heck of a sculpt! 

• Like 2

Had part of the legs done earlier and took pictures, but forgot to upload them:

DSCN6459.thumb.JPG.96d1b7b19370185d2911a08d71794b4f.JPG

And this is where the body was as of Tuesday.
DSCN6461.thumb.JPG.1f83e1750c4da426320ae052d5b4c3c6.JPG

Legs got pretty close to done,
DSCN6464.thumb.JPG.190e76140e12c8488990a480a6447c61.JPGDSCN6466.thumb.JPG.706346d2472823eed7d3886f4de4308b.JPG

and the torso is also mostly covered.
DSCN6468.thumb.JPG.b3e86de023d1833f40515607cca0349e.JPGDSCN6467.thumb.JPG.8b980fe9f2971ae86ff36719b3f7cd27.JPG

Put together, the foot-bases aren't quite flat, but some whittling should solve that problem. Behold! 
DSCN6470.thumb.JPG.5cafe543204d8fea3c653fa3bae78a24.JPGDSCN6472.thumb.JPG.9f030dbba32ed32e0dac39a294802bbc.JPG

This is a prosaic, workmanlike job so far; the next step is adding RAZZAMATAZZ. We need a glow, we need some weathering and/or highlights, and we need some extra bits! Fortunately, I am rich in bits.
DSCN6462.thumb.JPG.3b1534b6cf70c4425a1a2736bf053a25.JPG
You may also have noticed some hot-rod exhaust pipes in a couple of previous photos. They don't quite fit anywhere with the legs on where they are, but if I can sculpt (or bend a soft metal rod into) some S-bend chrome pipes to connect, they will attach to the ribcage quite nicely. 

• Like 14

50 minutes ago, Rigel said:

You may also have noticed some hot-rod exhaust pipes in a couple of previous photos. They don't quite fit anywhere with the legs on where they are, but if I can sculpt (or bend a soft metal rod into) some S-bend chrome pipes to connect, they will attach to the ribcage quite nicely. 

If you can mount them somewhere secure you could use solder instead of metal.  It will bend to the s-bend shape and hold in place as long as it is not supporting weight. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, snitchythedog said:

If you can mount them somewhere secure you could use solder instead of metal.  It will bend to the s-bend shape and hold in place as long as it is not supporting weight. 

Good thinking! I'll try to find some with the appropriate diameter.

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

He's coming together very nicely. Are you going for super shiny or weathered for the entire result?

Haven't decided yet; I do love shiny, but rust and decay are so much fun! And those jars of Typhus Corrosion and Nihilakh Oxide won't use themselves up...

• Like 4

I don`t know how the colour antifreeze green actually looks like, but in general green would work great, because it suits well to orange (the copper), but blue is also perfect, because it is the complementary colour to orange (copper) and so the result would be that it stands out very well, even more than the green. It depends on what you wish. Cool sculpt by the way. Like what you did with it so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 7:19 PM, lexomatic said:

What happened with this?

I put it on the back burner for a long time and forgot to take any progress pictures, but finally got the fella finished enough for my purposes! Posted him and a bunch of other steampunky Stonehaven minis in Show-Off: 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/90496-vvvvrrrooommgear-clockwork-dragon-and-various-stonehaven-minis/

I still should go back and embellish with watch parts and work on that Lilienthal flying apparatus...

• Like 4