Painting beginner - random figures

On 6/6/2019 at 11:55 PM, vhaidra said:

Looks good! Because you are working successful already with glazes you could try to paint the very final highlights (only a small area on top of a detail) a bit brighter (orange) for giving the paintjob more depth.

Good idea, thanks!

Yesterday, I found a new challenge. For some reason, I am not able to take a sharp picture of any painted Reaper skull. I took like 40 pics from various angles, and it is never sharp... (I will add some more highlights on the green coats)

64218019_2226226814125236_3310897422703525888_n.jpg

62167549_2226226594125258_3219473730933620736_n.jpg

62353545_2226226714125246_1113951733026914304_n.jpg

• Like 8
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warhammer tv, Dr. Faust, Aella 13, Black Magic Craft, kujo, miniac 

these are all good YouTube painting channels and there are many more. 

Awesome work. Don’t be afraid to cut off the bases and excess plastic with a hobby knife. 

• Like 3

I think the photos are even pretty sharp, all fine. They all look fantastic, well defined and clean. Just one hint again: You can paint the underside of the hats in the most deepest shadow colours, because in reality there would be a deep shadow. All surfaces which are directly opposite of the ground/earth are painted in the shadow colours (deepest shadow). All surfaces directly opposite the light source (in the case of zenithal higlighting it is the sun right above the head of the figure) are painted the brightest, there should be the brightest highlights. In between there are several midtones in the midst of both extremes. I`m just telling you for having a rough direction concerning highlighting. This means: You can increase your shadows. The may be much darker than they are right now.

• Like 2
On 6/12/2019 at 7:18 PM, vhaidra said:

I think the photos are even pretty sharp, all fine. They all look fantastic, well defined and clean. Just one hint again: You can paint the underside of the hats in the most deepest shadow colours, because in reality there would be a deep shadow. All surfaces which are directly opposite of the ground/earth are painted in the shadow colours (deepest shadow). All surfaces directly opposite the light source (in the case of zenithal higlighting it is the sun right above the head of the figure) are painted the brightest, there should be the brightest highlights. In between there are several midtones in the midst of both extremes. I`m just telling you for having a rough direction concerning highlighting. This means: You can increase your shadows. The may be much darker than they are right now.

Thanks so much! This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for in here. You are absolutely right, I will increase shadows this way. 

• Like 2

Just two points...

1. The Reaper(or whatever, skeleton with shovel and red cape). The ring on topp of his head needs some sort of tarnish. Shiny metal is just not right...  

In fact, consider it a good idea to make the rings 'themed' to the mini you put them on. 

This is not criticism of the idea ofg turning the minis into earrings(it's a neat idea, really), just my thoughts on how to take it to the next level. 

2. AAAAARGH! 

Yet another beginner with more skills than me!  

• Like 1