Sign in to follow this  
Gadgetman!

Weird package?

I guess the real question is so you want the package that badly?  And if you do is the pick and post going to stand over you as you open it?  I don't think you have to irritate the post service people, just say you found out that the shipper put the wrong name on the package.

Wish I could get the post office to stop sending me other people's mail.  Usually happens once or twice a month.  Usually letters but there is the occasional package too.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Wish I could get the post office to stop sending me other people's mail.  Usually happens once or twice a month.  Usually letters but there is the occasional package too.

Similar problem here too...  Every month, Canada Post will give me mail for the right suite, but they're off by a building.  Sadly, that building has randomized buzzer codes, so I can't easily give them their mail, and even writing "Try next door, misdelivered" on the envelope winds up with it sitting on top of the mailboxes for a week (until someone else in the building who DOES know someone next door sees it, and delivers it). 

But yeah, a package...  Not had such happen.  I once did have them try to get me to sign for someone's registered mail, and I looked at the guy and said "no idea who they are, and I've lived at this address for six years". 

And then you have the "way too well dressed guys" ringing your buzzer on the hour, three times a day.  Carrying a yellow sheet.  Yup, witness summons.  So glad that case finally finished a few years ago.  On the plus side, even he was all "seriously? You're still being summoned for this?" 

... As for the package, if it doesn't have your name on it but the correct address... Tough call to say what to do with it.  I'd personally have it sent back, because opening a package that doesn't have my name on it is a federal offense here in Canada...  But there definitely is the whole wondering what it is.. 

But why... Souvenir.  Why mark the box with such a vague description.  And some people wonder why I attach three copies of a letter to the outside when shipping internationally (its so customs can get a better guess as to what's in it, a practice I picked up from ordering internationally so much over the years) 

• Like 3

I don't really want it all that much. I'm not missing anything that I know off, but then again, my memory is like a good Jarlsberg cheese(Yellow cheese with a few big holes in it) at the best of days...   

Shipping to Norway is expensive, and having something returned is also expensive for the sender, so if it is for me, I really should try to avoid having it sent back.   

The post agrees that it might be for me, but as it's not addressed to my name, they can't let me have it. Not unless I can prove without reasonable doubt that it's mine. 

Knowing the exact contents would be considered good enough in this case.  

The package is usually marked with such a vague description in order to 'help' the receiver avoid TOLL and VAT.   

• Like 4

I have received international packages from miniature companies that are marked as "souvenirs" and 10.00 on the declaration form. Example in case, Kimera Models (Spain though).

I would double check backed projects from kickstarter and quickly skim comments/shipping updates.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I've checked both KS and IGG, and nothing. 

Dilemma.

Maybe do as Kangaroorex suggested?

Claim it's miniatures and look?

• Like 2

If you don't know anything about the package and it's addressed to someone else, I believe it should be returned to the sender.

If it's really meant for you but the shipper screwed up on the name, they should be able to correct and resend it.  They may ask for you to pay for shipping it a second time.  If they got the address wrong and it's meant for someone else, the shipper should hopefully notice and resend it to the correct recipient.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

The package is usually marked with such a vague description in order to 'help' the receiver avoid TOLL and VAT.   

Never did understand why some companies attempt this.  Just say what it is, and the actual value, because you're just needlessly complicating things for your customers down the road if you're vague about it. 

• Like 1

If the package is returned to the sender, and he ships it to Norway again, he'll probably be out $20 - 30 

But not all packages are returned.    

Unless it says 'Return to sender' on the package, it can be destroyed.   

And the sender will probably never get to know that it happened.

Either option is going to cause the sender issues in the future. 

I literally CAN NOT claim the package. They probably shouldn't even have shown the Box to me. 

The vague description/low value/Gift checkmark issue is something I often try to explain to sellers.  

I DO NOT want the customs people to start asking pointed questions about what something REALLY costs...

Point in fact, DealExtreme used to mark every package With a value of $1 and 'gift'...  Until the Norwegian post returned a Whole shipping container With mismarked goods in November one year.  

A Whole lot of geeks had to actually go outside and do their Christmas shopping in RL that year. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Was about to say, Chinese packages usually send it out this way. If it's wrapped in a whole roll of tape that smells like paint, it's definitely china xD Aliexpress or the likes.

• Like 2

Start asking your neighbors if anyone has that name?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Never did understand why some companies attempt this.  Just say what it is, and the actual value, because you're just needlessly complicating things for your customers down the road if you're vague about it. 

Yes.  Since it is, by definition, tax evasion.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

Start asking your neighbors if anyone has that name?

'As far as I know, there's only one forreigner in my area, one of my neighbours in my apartment building. 

(He's polish, and yeah, I've already asked him)

I could of course ask the retired lady living on the other side if she has a secret lover...    

Or the family with kids down the hill,. the local rich man at the end of the road(much more posh house)

It's a small neighborhood.

• Like 3

Related to contents/value declaration, I'm amazed I even get packages from Warlord since all of them come filled out as:

item:  *unintelligible swirly proto-language scribble*

value:  *possibly alien numbers on lsd*

Ah, yes, my Cxutyrxszrlpo has finally arrived, and it only cost me K&7!@₩¥♥ eurodeutschdolleramlirapounds.

Quite a bargain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Related to contents/value declaration, I'm amazed I even get packages from Warlord since all of them come filled out as:

item:  *unintelligible swirly proto-language scribble*

value:  *possibly alien numbers on lsd*

Ah, yes, my Cxutyrxszrlpo has finally arrived, and it only cost me K&7!@₩¥♥ eurodeutschdolleramlirapounds.

Quite a bargain.

Could be worse. prodos shipped me a kick starter order in an engine degreaser box with the brand names crossed off. I have no idea how that got through customs...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3